Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't cruise above 90 mph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not trying to start a fight here, but the problem with that line of thought is assuming that the human can only see down 600 feet as well. My eyes are pretty good, and during my younger speeding (statute of limitations have long passed) days, I would look about a mile down the I-5 for signs of cops. 1 mile - 5230 feet. Pretty significant difference in awareness vs. reaction time. Wouldn't try that again at my age, but just pointing out that TACC seems to be inferior for some stretches of highway (namely long straight ones).

My guess is practicality. Tesla probably doesn't want to encourage high cruising speeds, because it'll drop the range down like a rock! No numbers available to back that up though.

It's certainly valid that in good weather in daytime you can see further than the radar can. I would hope that you'd still be looking that far ahead while driving on cruise control, too, and could take action for the car if it became necessary... :)

You may be right that the consumption numbers over 90 mph are so ugly that Tesla didn't see the need for TACC to operate that high. I'm also not 100% certain that those are the specs of the Model S radar - it seems to be the most likely of the three ACC radar vendors I found from the pictures, but it could be something completely different.
Walter

I can't hit the ball the way I used to, but I can still see a golf ball 300 yards away, so seeing well beyond 600 ft isn't that difficult for me. Seeing something as big as a car/deer/person much farther away should be doable and result in my ability to respond better than the TACC which only sees 600ft.

Buy a BMW then, Euro car for Europe.. ?
Not sure that's really all that helpful.
Tesla has stated repeatedly that they consider Germany an important market. With a 145km/h max for cruise control they have yet another strike against themselves in that market.
I had a rented 535d with all the fixings last year and it would happily run it's adaptive cruise control at 200km/h