TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can't decide between 85D and P85D

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by Jerry852, May 19, 2015.

1. Jerry852

Jerry852 New Member

I know this is silly question, but here many P85D owner complain about their ride is too harsh. So just don't know is it suitable for HK roads. I urge the performance but don't wish to sacrifice the daily comfort. So still struggle between both of 85D and P85D. BTW the P85D on design studio cannot choose the 19" wheels anyone, it force you to pick 21" wheels.

2. Fiver

Fiver Member

3. AppleFan

AppleFan Member

Why would there be a difference in ride quality between 85D and P85D? Ride quality should only depend on wheels (19" should be better) and suspension (debatable coil/air is better).

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Had the 85 vs. P85 decision when I purchased. To me, the 85 was already ridiculously fast, and I didn't think the extra money for stupid fast was worth it. Today, I would go for a fully loaded 85D over the P85D, but that's just me. Ask yourself if the extra money for a bit faster to 60 MPH (which you'll probably rarely use) is worth it. Otherwise, the cars should be identical.

5. Jerry852

Jerry852 New Member

Some P85D owners complain about their ride is too harsh. Maybe the P85D is heavier, so that the dampening rate is different.

6. AppleFan

AppleFan Member

Are you sure the comparison is apples to apples? Most P85D owners would have gotten the 21" wheels (and the air suspension).

7. Jerry852

Jerry852 New Member

i really want to try the insane mode, even though I think I don't have much chance to do the insane mode in HK. If the P85D has same ride quality as 85D, I will pick the P85D for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

I will get the air suspension but the 21" wheels, I will replace the 19" with 20" wheels, I personally think the 21" wheels is too big. But too bad they now force you to pick the 21" wheels in P85D.

8. pinguhk

pinguhk Member

If you what speed then P85D is a must but don't forget this car is big and the handling on twisty corner is not that good.
    other think to ask your self is how many time will you do the 0 to 100km :tongue:

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I don't think that's true. When I checked the Tesla Motors order page, it says both the 85D and P85D have a top speed of 155 MPH.

10. Tony Lin

Tony Lin Member

for the build quality, i prefer to order on 85D, and spend the money on Mods :)

11. pinguhk

pinguhk Member

what I mean is 0-100 not top speed.
    Top speed is useless in HK

- - - Updated - - -

what to you mean build quality for 85D?
    Is the 70D and P85D build quality not the same? All 3 cars built are the same right?

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

But is the extra second or so to 100 km/h of any value in HK (or anywhere) and worth the premium either? The S is already ridiculously fast and there are rarely any opportunities to legally use all that acceleration as it is.

13. 3fiftynine

3fiftynine Member

Can't agree more even if you like traffic light drag race, distance between traffic lights is so short in Hong Kong even if I race with a "D" he/she may only have split second advantage before the next red stop! For 6 months I haven't yet floored the pedal to me it was a wise decision not to wait for the D.

14. pinguhk

pinguhk Member

For me I say no not worth it, I will be going for the 70D.
    After all this is a family car and not a sports car.
    If what speed and better driving I get a 2nd hand Cayman S.
    or better still go for the 70D and save the $300k+ and get true sports car to have fun.