Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't decide between 85D and P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is silly question, but here many P85D owner complain about their ride is too harsh. So just don't know is it suitable for HK roads. I urge the performance but don't wish to sacrifice the daily comfort. So still struggle between both of 85D and P85D. BTW the P85D on design studio cannot choose the 19" wheels anyone, it force you to pick 21" wheels.

Had the 85 vs. P85 decision when I purchased. To me, the 85 was already ridiculously fast, and I didn't think the extra money for stupid fast was worth it. Today, I would go for a fully loaded 85D over the P85D, but that's just me. Ask yourself if the extra money for a bit faster to 60 MPH (which you'll probably rarely use) is worth it. Otherwise, the cars should be identical.

Had the 85 vs. P85 decision when I purchased. To me, the 85 was already ridiculously fast, and I didn't think the extra money for stupid fast was worth it. Today, I would go for a fully loaded 85D over the P85D, but that's just me. Ask yourself if the extra money for a bit faster to 60 MPH (which you'll probably rarely use) is worth it. Otherwise, the cars should be identical.

i really want to try the insane mode, even though I think I don't have much chance to do the insane mode in HK. If the P85D has same ride quality as 85D, I will pick the P85D for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you sure the comparison is apples to apples? Most P85D owners would have gotten the 21" wheels (and the air suspension).

I will get the air suspension but the 21" wheels, I will replace the 19" with 20" wheels, I personally think the 21" wheels is too big. But too bad they now force you to pick the 21" wheels in P85D.

I don't think that's true. When I checked the Tesla Motors order page, it says both the 85D and P85D have a top speed of 155 MPH.
what I mean is 0-100 not top speed.
Top speed is useless in HK

- - - Updated - - -

for the build quality, i prefer to order on 85D, and spend the money on Mods :)
what to you mean build quality for 85D?
Is the 70D and P85D build quality not the same? All 3 cars built are the same right?

But is the extra second or so to 100 km/h of any value in HK (or anywhere) and worth the premium either? The S is already ridiculously fast and there are rarely any opportunities to legally use all that acceleration as it is.

Can't agree more even if you like traffic light drag race, distance between traffic lights is so short in Hong Kong even if I race with a "D" he/she may only have split second advantage before the next red stop! For 6 months I haven't yet floored the pedal to me it was a wise decision not to wait for the D.

But is the extra second or so to 100 km/h of any value in HK (or anywhere) and worth the premium either? The S is already ridiculously fast and there are rarely any opportunities to legally use all that acceleration as it is.

For me I say no not worth it, I will be going for the 70D.
After all this is a family car and not a sports car.
If what speed and better driving I get a 2nd hand Cayman S.
or better still go for the 70D and save the $300k+ and get true sports car to have fun.