Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't decide between AWD and performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been a struggle trying to decide between the 2 based on our situation.

Two weeks ago, my wife and I test drove AWD and performance back and back, AWD first and then performance. We ordered the P3D right after. The difference in performance is huge in terms of acceleration as well as handling which could be the difference in tires and slightly lower suspension of the P3D.

A few days after I started second guessing my decision. I said my decision since the wife was fine with us ordering the P3D. My concern was: 1) 20" rims on the P3D with the potpoles and possibly bending the rims, 2) Is it really worth the price difference for us: This will be primary my wife's car even though I will drive it on the weekend, and we are not both aggressive drivers that will race people off the line, 3) Range: If comparing the 19' sport wheels on the AWD vs the P3D, seems like P3D will be at least 5% more "thirsty". Is it just from the difference in wheels? For winter, we'll be driving with 18" winters on either one.

To make the situation more difficult to analyze, we may be looking to replace our SUV to the Model Y in 2 years if we like the EV experience (Model 3 being our first EV). Then I'd prefer the wifey to drive the Model Y and I'll take over the Model 3.
If that's the case, I will definitely prefer the P3D.

We can afford the P3D no issues, but is it really worth it for us to pay $13k CAD more + interest for something that we will probably never take advantage of.

And also the 20" rims. I wish the P3D came with options for 19" instead.

Last week, I have modified the order to an AWD, but I'm still unsure which one I should go with. No VINs have been assigned yet, so I can still modify the order yet again, but this may delay the delivery. As of right now, I'm leaning towards the AWD. It does seem like P3D is more of a want, and AWD is the more logical choice.

Definitely need some help from those who had trouble deciding between the two, as well as owners who have 20" rims and can share their experience. Thanks!

If you can afford id, I would say go for the P3D. If you can afford it and plan on putting a lot of miles on it,
I'd say stick with the dual motor and 19" wheels. I've had several cars with low profile tires, and it's just a fact. They are prone to flats and bent rims. We have 35k miles on our M3 LR w/19's, and have already had two flats.

If you want it and can afford it get the p...i have a awd long range and can also afford it but the sensible/realistic part of me went with the awd because living in Los Angeles i know there will be few oppertunities to floor that pedal. Although you may use the power of the p in 1% of your driving i think it's worth it; but then again i didn't take my own advice:)

We ordered the P3D[...]A few days after I started second guessing my decision. I said my decision since the wife was fine with us ordering the P3D. My concern was: 1) 20" rims on the P3D with the potpoles and possibly bending the rims, 2) Is it really worth the price difference for us: This will be primary my wife's car even though I will drive it on the weekend, and we are not both aggressive drivers that will race people off the line, 3) Range: If comparing the 19' sport wheels on the AWD vs the P3D, seems like P3D will be at least 5% more "thirsty". Is it just from the difference in wheels? For winter, we'll be driving with 18" winters on either one.

1). 20" rims are not a problem in NJ, which rivals Syria and Lebanon for road quality (but not Detroit - that's the pits). This is coming from someone who had bent 18/19" wheels with 35-45% sidewall tires on German sedans before. Michelin 4S tires are some of the grippiest rubbers that you can put on a car, and they definitely transform the handling.
2). This is a highly subjective evaluation. If you are a car guy who owned ///M-/S-/AMG- branded products before, the answer is an obvious "yes". If the above letters mean nothing to you, than the answer is likely "no".
3). The delta consumption comes not from wheel diameter, but from the grippier and draggier 4S tires. You can downgrade to slicker all-season or winter tires (in 18/19/20" size) and regain the 5% range penalty.

HTH,
a

Last edited:
This is the age old questions and has been asked numerous time in this forum. The dilemma is real. Do a search and read some other folks feedbacks and then you can decide what works best for you and the wife.

Hey I was in the same situation as you in terms of buying a car for the wife. And I can tell you there's not a single thing would sway me from the decision of buying the P3D.

There's a unique something about having a car that stands out among a crowd of model 3s. We live in the SF bay area where model 3 is as common as a Prius and I have yet to see many P3Ds on the road.

Don't worry about the 20 inch wheels. Since you live in Toronto AND have no problem buying a P3D I would highly suggest you getting a set of 18 or 19 inch TST wheels with all season tires. Those stock 20 inch will probably want you dead you if you drive on them in snow or rain. P3D offers lowered suspension and distinct performance brakes. Them alone will improve the look of the Model 3 a lot, this is something AWD can't offer.

About efficiency, it has a lot to do with driving style of the driver as I have discovered during my so far still short ownership of the P3D. I have driven about 500 miles on it so far and initially I was not very used to the EV so my paddle control was a bit rough, that resulted in very bad consumption, it was something like 350 to 400 wh/mile on average. But lately I have found the balance and I can regularly reach 250 wh/mile on average for combined driving which is default rated consumption for the car. On highway the consumption will go up but that's just how EV works. I also found AAP helps with lowering the consumption as well. I have already noticed that I've been relying on AAP more and more while driving on highway so that's probably something will happen to you as well.

Are you the kind of person that always wants to go faster? Then get the P. If you don't really care, then get the AWD. Still quicker than most cars.
Get the AWD. The P is too fast. The P has supercar speed but not supercar handling, which is a problem. The 20 inch wheels are not a problem. I have a P.
Yeah, that's not a problem. I don't know what you are talking about.

Since you and your wife test drove both and came away with the P being the winner, I'd say go with the P. Remember, if you buy the AWD but liked driving the P better, then you'll be regretting that after you start driving the AWD after purchase.

1. Do you have the spare cash? If yes, go to 2. If no, stop and buy AWD.
2. Have you ever floored the throttle in any model of 3? If yes, go to 3. If no, stop, and buy AWD.
3. Did you enjoy the acceleration? If yes, go to 4. If no, stop and buy AWD.
4. YOLO. Go to 5.
5. Buy your P3D.

Go with the P, sell the 20s for ~$3k and pick your own 18/19s. As others have said, if you’re used to driving German performance cars, the handling on Model 3s are not great. Many start looking into after market brakes and suspensions and after that, the P3D isn’t that much more expensive.