Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't decide between AWD and performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been a struggle trying to decide between the 2 based on our situation.

Two weeks ago, my wife and I test drove AWD and performance back and back, AWD first and then performance. We ordered the P3D right after. The difference in performance is huge in terms of acceleration as well as handling which could be the difference in tires and slightly lower suspension of the P3D.

A few days after I started second guessing my decision. I said my decision since the wife was fine with us ordering the P3D. My concern was: 1) 20" rims on the P3D with the potpoles and possibly bending the rims, 2) Is it really worth the price difference for us: This will be primary my wife's car even though I will drive it on the weekend, and we are not both aggressive drivers that will race people off the line, 3) Range: If comparing the 19' sport wheels on the AWD vs the P3D, seems like P3D will be at least 5% more "thirsty". Is it just from the difference in wheels? For winter, we'll be driving with 18" winters on either one.

To make the situation more difficult to analyze, we may be looking to replace our SUV to the Model Y in 2 years if we like the EV experience (Model 3 being our first EV). Then I'd prefer the wifey to drive the Model Y and I'll take over the Model 3.
If that's the case, I will definitely prefer the P3D.

We can afford the P3D no issues, but is it really worth it for us to pay $13k CAD more + interest for something that we will probably never take advantage of.

And also the 20" rims. I wish the P3D came with options for 19" instead.

Last week, I have modified the order to an AWD, but I'm still unsure which one I should go with. No VINs have been assigned yet, so I can still modify the order yet again, but this may delay the delivery. As of right now, I'm leaning towards the AWD. It does seem like P3D is more of a want, and AWD is the more logical choice.

Definitely need some help from those who had trouble deciding between the two, as well as owners who have 20" rims and can share their experience. Thanks!

The Performance is essentially a tweaked up AWD with way better hardware, if you want to get more lifetime and value of a vehicle get the performance, that said it is literally a rocket car. Be SUPER careful when you want to throttle this... The speed of this machine crosses out over everything that is Street legal, you'll be cutting into some formula one measures there... So just drive on chill mode and don't listen to pump it up song.

AWD is more value for the buck than performance its the car you want to get for winters. That said its still mega fast 5 second car, it will compete with all the ferrari and lambo and porsche out there. Where as performance is a 2.9 sec car that is more on level with Bugatti Veyron.

If you're not in it for racing, you are not a man child (like me lol) buying AWD with Aero wheels is smarter (don't listen to those recommendations on big wheels sass, the comfort of the drive comes from more rubber, and less air resistance, the big wheels are for grip and traction (in exchange for comfort driving and some small range)

Whatever you get you MUST get the FSD. The car feels crippled without FSD.

The Performance is essentially a tweaked up AWD with way better hardware, if you want to get more lifetime and value of a vehicle get the performance, that said it is literally a rocket car. Be SUPER careful when you want to throttle this... The speed of this machine crosses out over everything that is Street legal, you'll be cutting into some formula one measures there... So just drive on chill mode and don't listen to pump it up song.

AWD is more value for the buck than performance its the car you want to get for winters. That said its still mega fast 5 second car, it will compete with all the ferrari and lambo and porsche out there. Where as performance is a 2.9 sec car that is more on level with Bugatti Veyron.

If you're not in it for racing, you are not a man child (like me lol) buying AWD with Aero wheels is smarter (don't listen to those recommendations on big wheels sass, the comfort of the drive comes from more rubber, and less air resistance, the big wheels are for grip and traction (in exchange for comfort driving and some small range)

Whatever you get you MUST get the FSD. The car feels crippled without FSD.
Well, yes, a tweaked AWD. Way better hardware? Way better hardware does not include the motors and the battery at least. When I bought my AWD, I found that big paper tag with my VIN and vehicle description on a backseat. It said Performance and higher price than I paid. So car's software limited my car acceleration, not a hardware.

Reactions: Dinoraptor101
Well, yes, a tweaked AWD. Way better hardware? Way better hardware does not include the motors and the battery at least. When I bought my AWD, I found that big paper tag with my VIN and vehicle description on a backseat. It said Performance and higher price than I paid. So car's software limited my car acceleration, not a hardware.

Yes that is exactly right, the performance has the exact Same drive unit I confirmed this with Tesla sales.

The (hardware) difference is small: performance breaks, metal pedals, 20" wheel, a carbon fiber spoiler.

I'm a fellow unicorn driver- P3D- I am SO happy I bought the car when I did since they don't have the option now. If I had to buy a car now, I'd go with the AWD because I hate low profile tires. I've got the best of both worlds right now- max acceleration and 18" wide tires. Kicks serious butt at the drag strip and fantastic daily driver. I hope they bring this version back in the future so I can buy another one and turn this car into a robo-taxi.

I went through a similar decision model and eventually just decided to go with the Performance model. I don't regret spending more on the car - I love it and I've had no issues with bent wheels or flat tires (I have 17,000 miles on the car at this point). I am not pushing the car to its limits daily but every now and then it's nice to punch it and get that rush of adrenaline. I could be older than you though, and at 62 years, I decided that it was time to treat myself. I tend to be a numbers guy but we don't live forever, and if you can afford it, it's a real treat to drive.

Reactions: ammulder

What hardware? The wheels that many owners get rid of? More Lifetime? Using the same AWD drivetrain that is put under more load?

Your right though. I do keep my P in chill.

• Funny
I'd go with AWD but you have to factor in if you're going to get a second set for winter/summer and what your commute was like. I'd echo GolanB's post with my commute being local and plenty of red lights so I'm not using any acceleration benefit. In the winter, I'm on chill mode with low regen with snow/wet roads. There are few instances I'm going to really accelerate, mostly on ramping freeway where it's a stop sign and immediate merger. Most of the time I'm trying to keep my tire thread so I'm not burning rubber.

Even if you had the money, I'd consider saving it for Model Y or something else than upgrading to P unless you really have unlimited funds for the possibility of replacing tires and rims. Or if you do frequent long drives without much traffic and maybe go to the track?

Reactions: BestHand
I'd go with AWD but you have to factor in if you're going to get a second set for winter/summer and what your commute was like. I'd echo GolanB's post with my commute being local and plenty of red lights so I'm not using any acceleration benefit. In the winter, I'm on chill mode with low regen with snow/wet roads. There are few instances I'm going to really accelerate, mostly on ramping freeway where it's a stop sign and immediate merger. Most of the time I'm trying to keep my tire thread so I'm not burning rubber.

Even if you had the money, I'd consider saving it for Model Y or something else than upgrading to P unless you really have unlimited funds for the possibility of replacing tires and rims. Or if you do frequent long drives without much traffic and maybe go to the track?

We will definitely have a second set for winter as we see snow here up north. Commute is mostly local as well.

Actually our plan is to purchase the dual motor model Y to replace our other car, and will have the wifey drive the model Y while I take over the model 3. If that happens, I'd prefer a more performance oriented car (P3D).

But I'm still very concerned with the 20" rims on the P3D.

We will definitely have a second set for winter as we see snow here up north. Commute is mostly local as well.

Actually our plan is to purchase the dual motor model Y to replace our other car, and will have the wifey drive the model Y while I take over the model 3. If that happens, I'd prefer a more performance oriented car (P3D).

But I'm still very concerned with the 20" rims on the P3D.

I don't want to talk anyone out of Performance if that's what their heart desires. But if 20" Wheels is your only issue, it can be solved. You can get stronger wheels in any size wheel to fit P3D+ including 18" and running any tire you want.

My issue is I really like the OEM Look of the 19" and 20" wheels and you cannot run Aero's for a little extra efficiency in Winter at all.

I run Winter tires on Aero's and Pirelli P7+ tires (same size as OEM) on OEM 19" wheels. On a P3D- (no cool red brake calipers). This is a great combo for New England pot holes and wildly varying winters.

So if I had to do it again today I'd have to get AWD and save $10k. And forfeit a little kick (that I rarely push to the limit). My commute is all back roads 30-40 mph. No place to push it. And when I do often travel long distances it's on the week end with my wife and 2 dogs. Again no place to horse around.

One thing that made me get P, was at the time it included free super charging and it brought delivery time down from 2 months to 2 weeks 3 months before tax credit expired. I convinced myself I'll never have a chance to buy a "sports" car again. I could NEVER justify say a HellCat or Vette or something but for $10K more I could get a Performance !! (with Free Super Charging to boot). And it was just around that time people were learning only 20" Wheels would fit over the brakes of P3D+. The stories of bent 20" wheels had not quite been so wide spread but I knew I wanted 18" OEM Aero's for winter.

If you don't mind the hassle of 3rd Party wheels, the wheels can be "fixed" and if you dump the 20" wheels immediately you can probably get $3k-ish for them. You could run them, but I suspect sooner or later you'll be disappointed. But you could certainly wait until that time but it will cost you more. Could be more options (possibly even from Tesla) by then too. Forged 20" wheels can get pricey though.

Last edited:
the FUSC was what pushed me over the top on the 'P' model as well. I'd love to test drive an AWD, hopefully I can find someone near me that would be willing to do a quick swap. All the other cars I was considering when I purchased this were sub-5 second 0-60, but 3.3 is freaking crazy. If you have the means, I would go for it, really.

Like all the third party options to hack the Model S to give yourself a Performance with Ludicrous? You're always one OTA away from either being locked into your current software version or losing the hack.

No, that's not true. If you know what your are doing you can block any future changes from future updates or do the updates via other methods, both can work.

No, that's not true. If you know what your are doing you can block any future changes from future updates or do the updates via other methods, both can work.

That sounds like lots of fun.

My days of rooting and jail breaking are over. Total time sync. Locked out of to many things today.

I rather get regular updates on AP and other features than go 0-60 ~1 second faster.