Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't decide between Model S or Audi S6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Derekt,

It's not completely clear from your response, but it sounds like a few of your steering wheel buttons may not be working?

When you have the radio on, the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel should switch you from preset to preset. (At least that's what I thought it did, I'll check next time I head out the door)

You can use the right buttons to change fan speed, even setting it to the right scroll wheel if you want (in the same area that you can set the right steering buttons to control your sunroof, temperature, etc).

Peter

The buttons do stuff, they just don't always do what I want.
When I have the radio on, my left side buttons scan instead of changing to a different preset. Is there some setting I can choose for them to only cycle presets, rather than scanning to the next available frequency?

The right buttons can change fan speed, or sunroof, or other settings. but if I have it in the select-a-mode setting, it takes some eye time to get it to choose the mode I want, and then to go do it. If I just left it in fan speed mode, it would be better for setting the fan, but worse for setting the sunroof. It doesn't help that the detents on the wheel don't seem to correspond 1-for-1 with the menu (i.e., wheeling through 2 detents doesn't always seem to move the menu by two items).

A more detailed manual wouldn't hurt either. I'm still not sure what "auto" sunroof vs. "manual" sunroof means. Maybe if I understood better how the right side buttons worked it would be easier for me to control the fan or sunroof with them?

Lastly, voice recognition could be helpful here. I can certainly say "Fan Five" faster than {click, wheel to fan speed, click, wheel to 5}.

I was reading this post to help me make a similar decision. I have to pull the trigger by Monday. I am, however, worried about a bunch of things that Tesla owners are experiencing.
1. Door Handles.
2. Windshield Cracks.
3. Leather Wear
4. Moonroof noise.
I fell in love with the Tesla. I presently drive an S5 and the looks and acceleration of the P85 are unmatched.
I am having a hard time swallowing a 95k or more price tag on a car with so many kinks. I also think that since production has reved up recently that more flaws will unfortunatley come to light. I dont like the way the S6 looks and it pales in comparison to the p85. The issues with the Tesla, however, are making me lean towards waiting.
Any thoughts?

Maybe this is valuable to this thread or not, moderators can decide:

I sold my Audi S4 Avant as a part of my purchase of the Model S. It's not an S6, but driving the V8 S4 for 8 years I intimately know Audi S cars. I had considered a ton of options (S6, S8, Panamera, etc.) to what I'd replace my beloved S4 with, the car was so perfect for me. Except: 14mpg. Maybe. Stomp on it (which my 4 tickets attest I did...) and the mpg went waaaaayyyy down. I had some amazing drives through the mountains to and from PDX to Bend. Amazing. The S4 was a pig on the track, and the AWD was helpful but ate through tires fast. I loved it going to the mountains, awesome with winter tires. So what changed?

I have 3 young boys now. My wife lugs the kids around in a LR3, terrible MPG but also great, great vehicle. Then I bought a huge Sprinter Van. We now tear it up in that thing, skiing/camping/surfing/mountain biking. I started driving the van to work because IT GOT BETTER GAS MPG than the S4!!! I hated how the S4 sucked it down. I never could have gotten more than 260 mile range in it. So for us, the Model S was a nobrainer. We wanted a luxo car in the family, but needed to truck 3-5 kids around town all under age 10. Model S is perfect. Fully charged every day. And on long trips, we are full of gear and mess...the Sprinter Van will always win. So we are a 2 car family...pretty non-traditional but actually, if you think about it, maybe the way it should be? Mom drives electric all over town always charged in the AM. It's better than any minivan for kid duty. And Dad drives the big rig the family needs for vacation/adventure that gets 18/24mpg. Mom and Dad take out the luxo on dates or even on a weekend away to the coast. Just our decision, but our insights might help others.

The buttons do stuff, they just don't always do what I want.
When I have the radio on, my left side buttons scan instead of changing to a different preset. Is there some setting I can choose for them to only cycle presets, rather than scanning to the next available frequency?.

I have the same issue - I noticed this when I took delivery and my DS told me that it doesn't go from preset to preset. This is quite annoying....

I have the same issue - I noticed this when I took delivery and my DS told me that it doesn't go from preset to preset. This is quite annoying....

agreed! I'm sorry...I know they are very busy and have to sort out things like working door handles, randomly unlocking cars, vampire drain, etc...BUT the media/radio setup is just abismal!!!

every steering wheel control I have seen allows you to skip from preset to preset. Scanning is completely useless! (That's what presets are for! Scan ONCE, save, then NEVER scan again!).

Opposite stupidity on the Internet radio channels! Pressing the forward button changes it to the next channel rather than skipping the song. If you are listening to Internet radio the channel is highly specialized/specific to your liking....so forward button should skip song and NOT change the channel!!!

ive been just streaming pandora from iphone5 via Bluetooth lately.

Luckily that monstrous touchscreen REALLY is intuitive and easy to use...but I do prefer (comfort/ease AND safety) the steering wheel controls.

Are they working/addressing this?

agreed! I'm sorry...I know they are very busy and have to sort out things like working door handles, randomly unlocking cars, vampire drain, etc...BUT the media/radio setup is just abismal!!!

every steering wheel control I have seen allows you to skip from preset to preset. Scanning is completely useless! (That's what presets are for! Scan ONCE, save, then NEVER scan again!).

Opposite stupidity on the Internet radio channels! Pressing the forward button changes it to the next channel rather than skipping the song. If you are listening to Internet radio the channel is highly specialized/specific to your liking....so forward button should skip song and NOT change the channel!!!

ive been just streaming pandora from iphone5 via Bluetooth lately.

Luckily that monstrous touchscreen REALLY is intuitive and easy to use...but I do prefer (comfort/ease AND safety) the steering wheel controls.

Are they working/addressing this?

Hmm I think abysmal is a bit strong. I don't listen to the radio, so no experience with the "scanning" issue, but it sounds somewhat mundane. Also when I hit "next" when listening to slacker, it goes to the next song (unless you meant something else)

There are some people who have had to replace their windshields three times. Do you not think the leather wear is a real issue? I actually dont like the audi but what these are issues that were not even mentiomned in the threads

I cant find it, but there was a post about it. Tesla is fixing it under warranty and is "aware of it."

All cars have their issues. No matter what make or model, someone will have some sort of problem with it. I think reading this forum is skewing your perception of the Model S. Yes, some people have had issues with their car, but many more people have not. The important thing is that Tesla will do the right thing and fix whatever's wrong. Your concern is understandable but your incessant posts reiterating ad nauseum these possible problems isn't helpful. That and your assertion that someone had their windshield replaced three times but your inability to produce a link to that post makes you sound like a troll.

I'm not sure whether the OP has decided yet or not (I lost track). But in case he hasn't or other people read this thread and need help, I would suggest the following:

1. Test drive the Audi
2. Test drive the Tesla
3. If your gut says Tesla after steps 1 & 2, buy the Tesla
4. Otherwise, buy the Audi

It's really that simple, IMO. If you aren't sold after the test drive, then you won't be happy with the vehicle.

Here's my take -- if you are trying to decide between the two by making pro / con lists, I'd get the Audi (not that I would ever get an S-anything, but that's me). I certainly enjoy driving my wife's model S on weekends for family errands, kids activities, etc., but it doesn't handle like my BMW.

hvb...here you go....

Also, I wouldnt call someone you have never met a "troll". Not a good idea.

To the other people on this forum...Thank you for the advise, the realistic posts, and the reporting of the issues. This truly helps make a decision regarding buying a 100K vehicle from a company that is new.

Jim2855 | February 1, 2013 I just had my windshield replaced by the Fremont Factory's Service Center. I was told they would get it done in one day. It turned out that they finished it at the end of the work day and didn't want me driving it right away (let the adhesive cure for a few hours), so I picked it up this morning. I had the Enterprise rental car provided by Tesla. The windshield looks great now. Initially, the service advisor tried to say it started from a chip and tried to make me pay for it. What he was claiming as the chip was barely visible and but you did feel a small divot as you run your finger along the crack. Maybe it was a small chip that started it, but there are chips like that on ALL cars of ALL makes and it does not result in a crack, so that would still be a design/manufacturing issue that the windshield cannot stand up to a tiny chip like that. I insisted on having it covered under warranty and after he briefly spoke to the manager, it was covered.
While I was there, I shared a ride over to Enterprise with another service customer. She was getting her rear child seats installed, but she said that she's had her windshield already replaced twice and is now on her third windshield. That one also has a crack on the driver's side that started with a chip from road debris. It really does seem like the windshield is much more fragile than those on other cars.

hvb...here you go....

Also, I wouldnt call someone you have never met a "troll". Not a good idea.

To the other people on this forum...Thank you for the advise, the realistic posts, and the reporting of the issues. This truly helps make a decision regarding buying a 100K vehicle from a company that is new.

Jim2855 | February 1, 2013 I just had my windshield replaced by the Fremont Factory's Service Center. I was told they would get it done in one day. It turned out that they finished it at the end of the work day and didn't want me driving it right away (let the adhesive cure for a few hours), so I picked it up this morning. I had the Enterprise rental car provided by Tesla. The windshield looks great now. Initially, the service advisor tried to say it started from a chip and tried to make me pay for it. What he was claiming as the chip was barely visible and but you did feel a small divot as you run your finger along the crack. Maybe it was a small chip that started it, but there are chips like that on ALL cars of ALL makes and it does not result in a crack, so that would still be a design/manufacturing issue that the windshield cannot stand up to a tiny chip like that. I insisted on having it covered under warranty and after he briefly spoke to the manager, it was covered.
While I was there, I shared a ride over to Enterprise with another service customer. She was getting her rear child seats installed, but she said that she's had her windshield already replaced twice and is now on her third windshield. That one also has a crack on the driver's side that started with a chip from road debris. It really does seem like the windshield is much more fragile than those on other cars.
Would have been easier to post the link to the above post

Would have been easier to post the link to the above post

That post can be found both earlier in this thread and reposted on the official TM forums.

2364941829.png

FWIW, I was told mine would be fixed under warranty but that the windshields were backordered.