Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't decide between P3D or Model S, halp!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having trouble deciding between the P3D and the new Model S. I currently have a P3D order in progress with a delivery date of March 15th - 31st.

They both have the 3.1s 0-60, which is super important to me.

My biggest worry is that I've heard the Model S isn't as fun to drive because its so big compared to the Model 3. I also really like the idea of Air Suspension, although that isn't a big deal.

My main reason for buying a Tesla is to have a lot of fun, zipping around town and on the highway (responsibly ofc!). I also want to ditch ICE vehicles. However, I LOVE new tech and the new screens on the Model S look awesome.

As far as who's using it, there's only two of us - me and my wife and it's going to be our only car. It'll also be my daily driver, I drive about 150 miles per day so I'll be in my car a lot. Having a great experience in my car is important.

The thing that frustrates me the most with the Model 3 is the lack of HUD behind the steering wheel. I'm coming from a car where I rely on the speedometer behind the steering wheel A LOT.

The P3D loan payment will be pretty easy for me, but the Model S will be pushing it yet I could still make the payments. I plan on keeping the cars for at least 5 years. Ideally longer!

I just don't want to be regretting my decision if I go with the Model 3 instead of the new Model S. What would you guys recommend?

Another question I had - does the new Model S have the potential to have better Autopilot/FSD than the 3?

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Maaz
Please don't drive like an asshat on the highway.

One of the reasons my wife and I didn't get a Model S five years ago was because it's Really Large. Our garage at the time was already tight and my measurements showed it would be uncomfortable getting the car in and out of that space. Where do you intend to park this future car? Have you taken measurements for the S?

The 3 is apparently 11" less long, and 4" less wide. That makes a mighty big difference in a small garage.

That said, I do really miss having a gauge cluster behind the wheel in my Model Y. Depending on where the future takes us, we might be trading it in for a new Tesla with a gauge cluster display in a few years.

Please don't drive like an asshat on the highway.

One of the reasons my wife and I didn't get a Model S five years ago was because it's Really Large. Our garage at the time was already tight and my measurements showed it would be uncomfortable getting the car in and out of that space. Where do you intend to park this future car? Have you taken measurements for the S?

The 3 is apparently 11" less long, and 4" less wide. That makes a mighty big difference in a small garage.

That said, I do really miss having a gauge cluster behind the wheel in my Model Y. Depending on where the future takes us, we might be trading it in for a new Tesla with a gauge cluster display in a few years.

I do drive responsibly, I tend to only zip around when its empty.

Yeah the gauge clusters are pretty big deal. There's aftermarket solutions for the 3 and Y for gauge clusters, but they don't look as good as an OEM install.

It'll fit in our garage, we have a 2 car garage and only 1 car.

Our household has one of each and I generally prefer the S for a few reasons:

First, the air suspension makes a huge difference in ride comfort and noise. If you spend many hours a day in your car, this could make a difference.

Second, the cargo capacity of the S is unsurpassed. With the rear seats folded down and a hatchback, you almost have SUV levels of space. Trips to and from the airport with luggage are a breeze.

Lastly, the S is more unique than the 3 so it's nice to be different. To me the gauge cluster, seats, and general interior are more luxurious than the 3. I guess it's like asking what's better; a 3 Series BMW or 7 Series? All personal preference and priorities.

Even when they both have the same acceleration?

Storage room isn't a big deal for me. I don't plan on having kids for a while and I don't really store anything in it. Maybe a couple suitcases if we ever travel? But that's about it.
I really don’t miss the instrument cluster in the 3. Does take a few min to adjust from the other car when I go back and forth.

The S is a pretty heavy car with a lot of straight line “go”.

I like both :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Venom
I'm not sure what TV commercial you are living, but "zipping around" town and on the highway is generally done on closed streets and highway sections, unless you are 18 and driving like an idiot....?

That said...the S is far more comfortable and spacious to ride around in, unless you have garage space issues where a smaller car is needed. If you like road noise from early Hyundai- era cars because it is "zippy" and "nimble" to weave in and out of traffic, then the 3 is for you. Or, get a used Volt for $15K and you get (almost) similar results.

You'll likely love either one.

I'm not sure what TV commercial you are living, but "zipping around" town and on the highway is generally done on closed streets and highway sections, unless you are 18 and driving like an idiot....?

That said...the S is far more comfortable and spacious to ride around in, unless you have garage space issues where a smaller car is needed. If you like road noise from early Hyundai- era cars because it is "zippy" and "nimble" to weave in and out of traffic, then the 3 is for you. Or, get a used Volt for $15K and you get (almost) similar results.

You'll likely love either one.

By zipping I just meant being nimble and having great handling.

I think I'll stick with the 3 and just get a Cybertruck for more space.

I'm not sure what TV commercial you are living, but "zipping around" town and on the highway is generally done on closed streets and highway sections, unless you are 18 and driving like an idiot....?.......

I have an S and i can dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge around traffic without issue.
I don't care how old you are, if you like to drive around slow people then drive how you want. speed limits are bullcrap anyway but only pass when legal and safe.
The S is a large car but it handles amazing, i've never even squeaked a wheel and i've hit corners at 115mph no problems.
The 3 looks funny both inside and out. The S looks more classy and elegant.

I have an S and i can dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge around traffic without issue.
I don't care how old you are, if you like to drive around slow people then drive how you want. speed limits are bullcrap anyway but only pass when legal and safe.
The S is a large car but it handles amazing, i've never even squeaked a wheel and i've hit corners at 115mph no problems.
The 3 looks funny both inside and out. The S looks more classy and elegant.

I just ordered a Model S. I have a Model 3 and S on order right now. I'll let fate decide which one I go for.

Last edited:
>>Can't decide between P3D or Model S, halp!<<

I can't advise on the car, but I can HELP on the spelling <g>
Seriously - and I've never even sat in a 3 - go with your gut reaction. I've had my S for a year now and had constant worries about its size before I took delivery but it didn't take long to adapt. I prefer the instrument cluster and the big vertical screen but the thing that made the difference is the amount of space to pile things in when I go to the builders' merchants.
Having said that I would probably go for a Y is I was ordering now.

• Funny
Reactions: Arctic_White
I'm having trouble deciding between the P3D and the new Model S. I currently have a P3D order in progress with a delivery date of March 15th - 31st.

They both have the 3.1s 0-60, which is super important to me.

My biggest worry is that I've heard the Model S isn't as fun to drive because its so big compared to the Model 3. I also really like the idea of Air Suspension, although that isn't a big deal.

My main reason for buying a Tesla is to have a lot of fun, zipping around town and on the highway (responsibly ofc!). I also want to ditch ICE vehicles. However, I LOVE new tech and the new screens on the Model S look awesome.

As far as who's using it, there's only two of us - me and my wife and it's going to be our only car. It'll also be my daily driver, I drive about 150 miles per day so I'll be in my car a lot. Having a great experience in my car is important.

The thing that frustrates me the most with the Model 3 is the lack of HUD behind the steering wheel. I'm coming from a car where I rely on the speedometer behind the steering wheel A LOT.

The P3D loan payment will be pretty easy for me, but the Model S will be pushing it yet I could still make the payments. I plan on keeping the cars for at least 5 years. Ideally longer!

I just don't want to be regretting my decision if I go with the Model 3 instead of the new Model S. What would you guys recommend?

Another question I had - does the new Model S have the potential to have better Autopilot/FSD than the 3?

Cheers

We have two performance Model 3s that have been extensively tweaked, but even prior to the MPP coilover kits and aftermarket wheels and wider tires, even in stock form, they were way more responsive as drivers car's than the model S which is big and ponderous by comparison. One open question however is what the model S refresh is going to involve in terms of suspension work. They clearly going to have to do something with the suspension to handle the power of the new plaid drivetrain. So if you want a vehicle that feels highly responsive and immediate and an extension of your inputs, I think the model 3 wins that one although again I have to say I have not driven nor has anyone else for that matter driven the refreshed Model S. But you are talking a lot more money. For that much money you can get a Model 3 performance version, tune it up extensively and have money left over to pay for your gas (ur electricity!), for years and years