Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't decide between P3D or Model S, halp!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are going to drive 150 miles every day, go for the S if you can freely choose.
I have a 2021 P3D and came from a 2018 S.

The noise levels are high and driving comfort is harsh since it's a Performance and a model 3. Also look for the new Model S that will start production in a month. that will have noise cancelling and 10 times better interior.

For me its not even close. The S is a classy looking car very comfortable to drive....the 3 is a cheaper looking castoff.

Also the ipad stuck up high on the dash is a turn off for me. It should have been more integrated.

If you can afford it, go with the S....if money is tight, get the cheaper, less classy, uglier comp screen 3. :))

I own a 2020 Model S and my wife had a 2020 Model 3 (that she recently traded for a 2021 Model Y). The Model 3 was definitely smaller, but did feel nice an open on the interior, with a bit more modern "vibe" to the dash (though the new Model S will be similar).

The Model S drives a LOT smoother and quieter due to the air ride suspension, and I personally feel like it corners about as well as a 3 despite the larger size, due to the better suspension. I came to Tesla from a Lexus LS, so I did value a smooth, refined ride more than most people. Both cars are as "zippy" as you'd want them to be, I think, and once you get used to the instant torque it's nearly impossible to go back to an ICE car!

Reactions: Mark2018s
Th I came to Tesla from a Lexus LS, so I did value a smooth, refined ride more than most people. Both cars are as "zippy" as you'd want them to be, I think, and once you get used to the instant torque it's nearly impossible to go back to an ICE car!
I've owned a Lexus LS, GS, ES and RX. My 2018 MS doesn't ride as smooth or as refined as any of the aforementioned Lexus'. It DOES ride better than a Toyota Avalon though, which I've previously owned as well.

I've owned a Lexus LS, GS, ES and RX. My 2018 MS doesn't ride as smooth or as refined as any of the aforementioned Lexus'. It DOES ride better than a Toyota Avalon though, which I've previously owned as well.
I own an RX and have driven an EX numerous times and would say you're right about the smoother Lexus suspension, right up until the 2019 Raven suspension makeover for Model S. I've only driven one once, but I was very impressed at how smooth it was and it compared favorably to the Lexus suspensions I've had (no comparison at all to the rough and tight Plus suspension on my 2014 P85D). I think the Raven adaptive suspension has put a little more distance between Model S and Model 3.

I'm not sure what TV commercial you are living, but "zipping around" town and on the highway is generally done on closed streets and highway sections, unless you are 18 and driving like an idiot....?
Well, I zip around here quite a bit, but our population may not be as crowded as Florida. I zip in my S about as often as in my 3, and I enjoy it. AT 77, I consider zipping just good for the circulation. My wife, however is not a zipper, more of velcro. She gets all tight and scared if I zip around a slow car in the fast lane, but I make sure to never rip a fender off (though sometimes I'd like to).

But I'm not saying I'm NOT an idiot.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: fakerlind
I own an RX and have driven an EX numerous times and would say you're right about the smoother Lexus suspension, right up until the 2019 Raven suspension makeover for Model S. I've only driven one once, but I was very impressed at how smooth it was and it compared favorably to the Lexus suspensions I've had (no comparison at all to the rough and tight Plus suspension on my 2014 P85D). I think the Raven adaptive suspension has put a little more distance between Model S and Model 3.
My S was born March 2018, so I have not driven an S with Raven suspension. I hope you are right as I am awaiting the release (next year hopefully) of the Plaid+, which should have the same suspension or an improved one? But Elon time is tough to predict. It's usually 1/2 year to a year in arrears of regular time, fingers crossed.

I have a similar predicament to the OP. I totaled my M3P (lady turned in front of me, hit her at 40mph, walked away with a bit of a stiff neck - amazing car). My wife wants me to get a bigger car as we have 2 kids, and honestly, a little extra room wouldn’t be a bad thing. I LOVED driving the M3P. It is definitely the most fun car I’ve had by a large margin. The M3P was very noisy, though mine was before they went with dual pane windows. It was almost hard to have a phone conversation at highway speeds. The ride was rough, but I don’t mind that too much. Right now I have a S LR ordered. I think I’m going to stick with it, but I miss my 3.

Even when they both have the same acceleration?

Storage room isn't a big deal for me. I don't plan on having kids for a while and I don't really store anything in it. Maybe a couple suitcases if we ever travel? But that's about it.
IMO the refresh Model S LR should be faster than a M3P. The 0-60 might be close but beyond 60 and the S should easily pull away. The S with 670hp should be capable of sub-11 in the 1/4. The LR weighs just over 4500lbs so it’s quite a bit heavier than a M3P. However, the extra 170hp in the LR should be enough to roast a M3P even though the S has an extra 400-450lb.