Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't decide - Conflicted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finalized my order last month so this is probably a moot point, but...

My current order is a 60kwh with twin chargers, hpwc, and supercharging. An 85kwh is about $5k more if I drop the twin chargers and hpwc and keep all other options the same (air, tech, pano, leather). When I was looking at an $8k difference (supercharging is included on the 85) it was easier to hold off. At closer to $5k I wonder whether I should have gone with the larger battery and dropped the other charging related amenities.

This is the problem with having to wait for the car - too much time to think.

I know what you mean about having too much time to think! I also looked at the $8k diff back when I finalized. But don't forget tax on top of it. But the wait for them to build more 60s is maddening! I'm paying $700/month for a base Ford Fiesta plus gas while waiting. Every now and then (usually when I need to buy gas, or have to hear the little tiny engine struggle to make it to highway speed on an onramp) I realize that I'd be in a MS already if I went 85.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways, in case you might be wondering, I just checked. Not possible to change from 60 to 85 after finalizing. Before flaming me, I expected and accept this. I just had to check :)

My current order is a 60kwh with twin chargers, hpwc, and supercharging. An 85kwh is about $5k more if I drop the twin chargers and hpwc and keep all other options the same (air, tech, pano, leather). When I was looking at an $8k difference (supercharging is included on the 85) it was easier to hold off. At closer to $5k I wonder whether I should have gone with the larger battery and dropped the other charging related amenities.

I was in the same situation when I finalized my order. Keeping all other options the same, the difference is $8k, not $5k (10k - 2k for SC) and I couldn't justify that given my driving needs. I opted for 60 + SC so I can do nearby road-trips utilizing the Superchargers. The difference would have been lower ($5.5k) if California hadn't added funds to their EV rebate program since we're all still waiting for the 60 and by now the funds would have dried up. So while the wait is painful and no word yet on delivery, I think 60 is probably the right car for my needs.

If you have standard suspension or red paint, it might not have gone into production yet and you can still change. That happened with my boss who got twin chargers instead of super charging when finalizing his 60 kWh pack. A few weeks later when I found out I had him call and they said that since it hadn't been sent to the factory yet due to standard suspension, he could still change. I'd try it if I were you.

I bet you'll be happy either with your current set up or upgrading to the 85 kWh battery and dropping the twin charger / hpwc (which are some of the few options you can add after delivery). But it doesn't hurt to ask if you can upgrade. They'll probably say no. But if you can take delivery at the factory before the end of the quarter then you might just get lucky.

The only regret I've seen on these forums is that people did not spend more $$. You're still getting a great car, the 60 kW will be good for 95% of your driving instead of 98%. I didn't get leather and regret it, mostly for the seat heaters and profile settings, but not that big a deal. My wife, who before delivery knew pretty much nothing about the car, commented how a sunroof would be nice. I told her about the cool pano roof and how I decided not to do it to keep the cost down, some people have glitches, extra noise etc and her answer (mind, she is a non nonsense, non-tech kind of gal) "what? you spent $85K! Spring for the extra $1500!

@jpasqua, don't sweat it. 60+SC = bliss, more efficient than the 85, almost as fast off the line and covers almost all driving scenarios in the real world. In almost two months of driving in and around the Greater Bay Area, there hasn't been a day that I thought I should have gone for the 85.

The difference of 50 or so mile real world range between the 85 and the 60 is something that you are more than likely never going to need since you have SC.

Glad to be $11K richer (more actually thanks to investing that in TSLA instead) - that includes the early adopter SC waiver that I was lucky to get + CA sales tax - and enjoying driving my 60 every single day!

To me it is a simple answer. How often, in a day, will you exceed the limitations of a 65kw battery. How often do you drive more than 230 mile or in the real world 190 hwy miles. In my case it is really not very often, 90% of daily use is within the range of the battery. Also dont need the dual chargers unless you are taking long trips, as 98% of my use will be to and from my house. Just a thought, you can go with all the goodies but have to pay the price. On the other hand, it appears TESLA is building cars based on price, so the higher the price, the quicker you will see it.

don't go down that rabbit hole, my man. next thing you know you'll be driving a $100k P85 and have no money left.

JPasqua: do not second guess yourself, it will drive you nuts. The 60 will work for you, as stated the few extra miles is not an issue, I do not even have the dual chargers or HPWC and I do not see myself needing more than 190 or so miles on a charge. If I do go on a road trip having the supercharger capability will suffice. Eventually there will be more of them and that will help with the range anxiety. Be happy to have such a beautiful, amazing all electric vehicle. You should watch the nat geo video on mega factories about Tesla, I had an out of body experience after watching that, I makes you proud to be involved with this new innovative company.

Going against the flow, I'd say call up Tesla right away and change to the 85kWh battery. After all, you just finalized and it's the weekend now.

At least, cancel the twin chargers. Unless you're taking the 101/Rabbobank route, you won't ever use the extra capacity, whereas you might need the longer range and appreciate the extra performance of the 85kWh battery.

EDIT: I see now that you finalized a month ago. That makes it tougher, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
Going against the flow, I'd say call up Tesla right away and change to the 85kWh battery. After all, you just finalized and it's the weekend now.

At least, cancel the twin chargers. Unless you're taking the 101/Rabbobank route, you won't ever use the extra capacity, whereas you might need the longer range and appreciate the extra performance of the 85kWh battery.
Not likely possible. As I mentioned upthread, they dont allow it. and it might even delay it further if they did.

I've been driving my 60KW with supercharger for about a month now. My closest supercharging station is 300 miles away so I never had a chance to use it. I couldn't wait to test charge it. I wonder why do you need the twin chargers and HPWC unless you travel many miles a day but based on the fact you ordered the 60KW S, my guess is you are not traveling 200+ miles a day. I charge my S every night using off peak 9pm-6pm (in NC) using my 40amp outlet. The charging is complete usually within 4-5 hours (my average daily use is less than 100 miles). I never had a situation that I need to quick charge my S during the day. So save yourself some money of buying the twin chargers and HPWC options unless you're on the road all the time.

Thanks for all of the thoughtful responses. I've decided to stick with the choices I've already made.

Given my expected usage patterns, 60kwh should be just fine. I ordered the HPWC and Twin Chargers because as often as we can, my wife and I travel to Carmel for the weekend. That's about 100 miles. When we get there I want to be able to do other outings without having to charge over night first. The HPWC will allow me to "top-up" relatively quickly after arriving and make the rest of the time anxiety free. It's probably overkill, but in the words of Hannibal Smith, overkill is underrated. :smile:

As it turns out, I just got my delivery button! I'm very excited. I now have a delivery window of Mar. 29th - Apr. 12th.