Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't download update via tethering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My townhome in Chicago is part of a building with 20 similar townhouses with my garage far enough from my apartment that the WIFI signal is not reachable. Neither Tesla is capable of connecting to Xfinity free Wifi. Fortunately, we have a very fast Comcast cellular coverage here, it quite frequently is over 100Mb/s. But all my attempts to download new releases via tethering failed to produce a result: Tesla connects via my phone, starts the download but never completes. The download speed in this setting is better than many WiFi connections, I am sure that software is capable of recognizing the type of connection it uses but I don't understand what would be the reason to deny a perfectly normal connection as Tesla still doesn't use its own bandwidth. Not even sure how they actually do this, likely a download never starts although the system never tells that the problem exists.
I found an annoying way to solve the problem: I make an appointment with Tesla and explain the reason. The next day they push a new version over their network and I cancel this appointment. All my appeals that it is stupid and strange didn't yield any results.
Any suggestions or experiences?
Please don't suggest to go to a Tesla service center or stop somewhere where Wifi is available. I know that. What I really want is to restore sanity which seems for several Tesla departments as a foreign concept

I’ve downloaded over t-mobile when I was bored and stuck sitting in a parking lot waiting on someone for a few hours.

Wonder if Comcast is blocking some sort of vpn traffic? I don’t even know what protocol Tesla uses these days, at one point they used vpn to connect to the mothership.

sorry, not really helpful, but that’s all I’ve got.

I think the relevant statements for this OP should be "others are downloading updates over a wifi hotspot connection (when I think of "tethered" I usually think of a cable, but of course there is also wifi tethering so....).

Anyway, OP, I have read multiple people on these boards over time state they have downloaded updates by connecting their tesla to their cellular phone or hotspot. This means that this is something with your phone / device, and not a tesla limitation itself. Are you sure you dont have some sort of bandwith limitation active on your phone in some setting, somewhere?

I’ve downloaded over t-mobile when I was bored and stuck sitting in a parking lot waiting on someone for a few hours.

Wonder if Comcast is blocking some sort of vpn traffic? I don’t even know what protocol Tesla uses these days, at one point they used vpn to connect to the mothership.

sorry, not really helpful, but that’s all I’ve got.
vpn is gone. They moved to encrypted web sockets. Remember a few months ago there was a kerfuffle about Tesla saying "If you don't update to version XXX by YYY date, you won't ever get updates ever again."
Found it:
"The Tesla network is undergoing enhancements for increased security. In order to maintain compatibility with and access to connected vehicle features, this vehicle requires a software update to at least version 2019.40.2.3. If not updated prior to 1-May-2020, this vehicle may no longer be able to receive over-the-air software updates, access the Tesla Mobile App & associated features, utilize voice commands, receive streaming media content, and other connectivity dependent features may be impacted. Please install the available software update by selecting the yellow clock icon and choosing a convenient time. If you are persistently experiencing software update installation failures, please schedule a service appointment via Tesla Mobile App."

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3 and brkaus
Might be worth trying downloading via tether to a friend’s phone, maybe from a different carrier?

Also, how long are you giving it? My updates usually start fast and then slow down a lot around the halfway mark. Total time is often over 20 min I think.

Thanks to everyone.
It is weird, I definitely gave enough time, much more than 20 minutes and there were no indications that it was making any progress.
Actually, I lied, I have AT&T as a cellular service provider (Comcast is my cable). Any idea of how to detect whether AT&T blocks ports

Thanks to everyone.
It is weird, I definitely gave enough time, much more than 20 minutes and there were no indications that it was making any progress.
Actually, I lied, I have AT&T as a cellular service provider (Comcast is my cable). Any idea of how to detect whether AT&T blocks ports
The car's default connection is AT&T.
I've used an AT&T device to tether before, it should work.

have you given it enough time to download?

the transfer isnt very linear, and also the progress bar isnt fully indicative of the download progress.... i have a bandwidth meter on the phone and i can see when its transferring even though the green bar seems to stay frozen....

Reactions: pl8dlikafiddle