Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't engage Autopilot on HW2 :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I've just installed the new HW2 update this morning, and though the TACC has been working fine I haven't been able to engage the Autosteer even once. I've driven at least 150km today on a variety of different roads, including a well lit, freshly painted strip of highway (in the middle lane, under 45mph). The road markings and other cars are now showing up on the dashboard, so I can't figure out why Autopilot is still unavailable...

Help greatly appreciated! :)

Paul

What is the error message you are getting?

Autosteer currently only works on freeways/highways and only between 5MPH-45MPH.
If I remember correctly "Autosteer is unavailable on this road", along with a blinking yellow autosteer icon and the sound.
I've tried it on a well lit highway driving at those speeds with no luck :/

Did you enable it?
Yup, enabled it in the settings before taking off.

If I remember correctly "Autosteer is unavailable on this road", along with a blinking yellow autosteer icon and the sound.

OK, so you are enabled and calibrated and running into the limitation of it only working on restricted access highways. Is the highway you are trying to use it on "restricted access"? I.e. no stops, cross traffic, etc.

Yup, enabled it in the settings before taking off.
My experience today shows that an eligible road is defined by Tesla somewhere in their database, not by visual recognition of the road. I hope they remove this limit quickly or they won't have much data to collect and frustrated owners. I do understand they want us to be careful but other than rush hour on crowded California freeways we can't help Tesla collect data

If other posts don't help, check with your service center. Your cameras might need to be aligned before the car can calibrate.

I've seen other mentions of the car calibrating. What does that mean?

I got the update about 3 this morning and spent an hour on a nearly deserted freeway plodding along at 45 mph and all seemed to be fine.

But I never saw any message saying anything was being calibrated.

??? :)

My experience today shows that an eligible road is defined by Tesla somewhere in their database, not by visual recognition of the road. I hope they remove this limit quickly or they won't have much data to collect and frustrated owners. I do understand they want us to be careful but other than rush hour on crowded California freeways we can't help Tesla collect data
Sounds about right!

I've seen other mentions of the car calibrating. What does that mean?

I got the update about 3 this morning and spent an hour on a nearly deserted freeway plodding along at 45 mph and all seemed to be fine.

But I never saw any message saying anything was being calibrated.

??? :)

I don't think there are any messages visible. As far as I know Tesla hasn't explained calibration in any detail. My best guess is that the cameras, radar, and ultrasonics on each car vary enough that the AP computer has to spend some time adjusting to its sensorium. The variables might be things like how sensitive the cameras are to light, or how this particular car's radar sees things.

That shouldn't be too surprising: I have to get used to driving a new vehicle myself. First I'll take some time to adjust the seats, the steering wheel, and the mirrors; after that I may need several hours of driving time to settle in. It can take time to adapt to a new pair of glasses or a new keyboard, too.

Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 4.12.34 PM.jpg

Reactions: josher32
Yup per Elon freeways only until they get more data from the fleet. Mobile Eye had been working on the hardware 1 AP for 10 years before Tesla released it so Elon has some catching up. I'm just thankful to have TACC!! Having a previous AP1 S this was the most painful part of getting my AP2 X.