Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't enter Tesla M3 or start up.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Tesla Model 3 won't start up, can't exit the house. The doors were able to open at first. But saw a blank screen and nothing turned on, no AC, no music. Then the door auto button wouldn't work, so had to use the manuel door handle to get out. Once I got out, now the door is locked and it won't respond to the Tesla App. Car is completely dead.

Have no idea what to do. Thankfully its at home and not out in the public. But I need to leave the house!

It was at 76% last night. I only changed the thing to start charge at 8am, for the best kwh hour rate by SoCal Edison. Now it won't turn on, won't let me in.

If I had to guess, I would say its likely you have an issue with your 12 Volt battery, but thats just a guess. As to "what to do", the best course of action is probably to select the "roadside assistance" link in the tesla app, and contact tesla for assistance.

I called. The customer service rep said its likely with 12 Volt battery. And now waiting for tow truck to jump start it by OC motor club.

Did you try your key card? Sometimes the app acts up (which may be fixed by toggling bluetooth, many times it's the OS which puts it or the app to a sleep mode), although it hasn't happened to me.

I have had cases where the screen takes a while to start up after car is in sleep but didn't have the car unable to unlock.

Did you try your key card? Sometimes the app acts up (which may be fixed by toggling bluetooth, many times it's the OS which puts it or the app to a sleep mode), although it hasn't happened to me.

I have had cases where the screen takes a while to start up after car is in sleep but didn't have the car unable to unlock.

I tried keycard, didn't work either.

I hear the car trying to start up, but it will stop, then try again, stop. So it sounds like it is having problems. I probably have to wait for the tow truck.

How old is the car. At about two years you can expect the 12V battery to fail.

Or is it just forums being a magnet for problems? Most people don't come to the forums to complain that their battery is doing just fine. My Model 3 is over 3 years old and hasn't had that issue. My Model S is much older and likewise has not had an issue.

OP: there are two batteries in your car, 1.) traction battery (the one you charge and know about), 2.) the 12V "accessory" battery which powers all the low-voltage stuff and the computer. Counterintuitively, this is the one you need to be able to "start" the car. There are too many reports of people seeing these 12V batteries fail without warning around 2 years. Hasn't happened to me, but posts like yours make me consider just spending the ~$100 (or whatever it is) to proactively replace at 2 years. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mine failed after 19 months and 13k mi. Make sure they check for acid leakage. They wound up replacing around 10 things damaged. Took them 3 weeks.
When the tow truck driver gets there he will connect a jump starter to the battery in order to move the car Check to see if the battery has leaked.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Mine failed after 19 months and 13k mi. Make sure they check for acid leakage. They wound up replacing around 10 things damaged. Took them 3 weeks.
When the tow truck driver gets there he will connect a jump starter to the battery in order to move the car Check to see if the battery has leaked.
The two truck driver came. He got all the electronics to start up, but it wasn't going to go anywhere so the best option was to tow it to the Tesla Service Center. I got a message in the app, says they're looking into it.

I only smelled the rotten egg smell, the tow driver said that was an indication the battery needed to be replaced.

OP: there are two batteries in your car, 1.) traction battery (the one you charge and know about), 2.) the 12V "accessory" battery which powers all the low-voltage stuff and the computer. Counterintuitively, this is the one you need to be able to "start" the car. There are too many reports of people seeing these 12V batteries fail without warning around 2 years. Hasn't happened to me, but posts like yours make me consider just spending the ~$100 (or whatever it is) to proactively replace at 2 years. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Are the two batteries located right next to each other?

I believe its ready now, my app says "ready to pickup".

I checked the invoice it says $0.00
I made sure to check the date, it says 4/20/21 which is today of this post.
Maybe its under warranty? I didn't ask yet, I just viewed invoice in the app.

The 12 v battery has been covered under warranty for most people, provided they didnt do something to exacerbate its failure like try to use the car as a power source to run their home, or add an aftermarket dashcam or something.

NOTE (before I get jumped on). I am not saying those things are inherently bad, I am saying that tesla has told people who add aftermarket stuff that taps into the 12V or who use the car as a powersource that their 12V battery is not covered under warranty.

Reactions: outdoors
Well I just got my Tesla out of the service center. Costed $0.00, they asked for no payment so that was good.

They just recommend me get new tires soon. One my back tires is completely bald, no tread on it.

Is Costco a good place for tires, seems like a Tesla person's favorite place to go.

Well I just got my Tesla out of the service center. Costed $0.00, they asked for no payment so that was good.

They just recommend me get new tires soon. One my back tires is completely bald, no tread on it.

Is Costco a good place for tires, seems like a Tesla person's favorite place to go.
28 months and 37k miles. You should check your battery and tires, regularly. Your tire should never be "bald". That's incredibly dangerous. Incredibly. Soon is not soon enough. You should get new tires, 6 months ago.

Reactions: outdoors

Simpletire.com

Is yours AWD or RWD? Might as well get them all in my opinion to be on level tread patterns and depth