Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't find any all season that are in stock for my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the performance version with performance breaks. Everyone is out of stock! I just picked up my car last week and the Tesla employee told me not to drive the car in the winter with the performance tires or I would die.

I want to get the T sportsline 20 inch wheels which are in stock but I can't find any 20 inch tires to go with it. Anyone have any sources that actually have them in stock?

I have a model S with 20 inch all season tires for 3 years and I've never had an issue in the winter with it. I don't want to have winter tires and summer tires...prefer just to have one set of good all season.

Any help would be appreciated!

If you want all seasons PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ in SIZE: 235/35ZR20 (hmm, do seem to be out of stock until jan)

Same tire at another online shop (performanceplustire) PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ 235/35ZR20 says it is available.

Another option are winter PILOT ALPIN PA4 N-SPEC - SIZE: 235/35R20

or you could gets some 18" or 19" wheels and have a wider selection of tires.

Last edited:
Reactions: srthomas21
I just picked up my car last week and the Tesla employee told me not to drive the car in the winter with the performance tires or I would die.

Is that with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S? You should be fine as long as there's no snow or ice on the ground though you increase the risk of the rubber potentially cracking if you're driving below 30F

If you want all seasons PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ in SIZE: 235/35ZR20 (hmm, do seem to be out of stock until jan)

Same tire at another online shop (performanceplustire) PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ 235/35ZR20 says it is available.

Another option are winter PILOT ALPIN PA4 N-SPEC - SIZE: 235/35R20

or you could gets some 18" or 19" wheels and have a wider selection of tires.
Sadly they are out of stock too. Told me there is 3 left nationwide.

Just called T sportsline and 245 is too thick. Has to be 235/35/R20

Ridiculous! The 235 tire is 9.25 inches wide, the 245 tire is 9.64 inches wide a difference of .39 inches or roughly 3/8" wider. If you are telling me that 3/8" wider is going to cause the tire/wheel combo to explode and fail then the 235 would be so close to that failure point that you wouldn't want to use it either. If anything the 245 might have a little more lip protection and keep you from curb rashing your wheels better than the 235. Unless you don't have room under the fender for another 3/8" you'd be fine with the DWS 06 tires in the 245 size. It isn't like you are going in reverse and trying to stretch say a 185 tire to hold on a wheel that regularly fits 235 tires, that would be dangerous, but if the sweet spot is 235 then going 225 or 245 is normally fine unless there are other factors at play.

As a test you could always take one of your wheels by a local tire place and ask them to mount a 245 tire so you can see for yourself.

Ridiculous! The 235 tire is 9.25 inches wide, the 245 tire is 9.64 inches wide a difference of .39 inches or roughly 3/8" wider. If you are telling me that 3/8" wider is going to cause the tire/wheel combo to explode and fail then the 235 would be so close to that failure point that you wouldn't want to use it either. If anything the 245 might have a little more lip protection and keep you from curb rashing your wheels better than the 235. Unless you don't have room under the fender for another 3/8" you'd be fine with the DWS 06 tires in the 245 size. It isn't like you are going in reverse and trying to stretch say a 185 tire to hold on a wheel that regularly fits 235 tires, that would be dangerous, but if the sweet spot is 235 then going 225 or 245 is normally fine unless there are other factors at play.

As a test you could always take one of your wheels by a local tire place and ask them to mount a 245 tire so you can see for yourself.

Thanks for the info. I'm not well versed in this so I'm just going by what T Sportsline is telling me. I don't have the wheels yet or I would take them over and have them try. What other factors could be at play do you think? I think I read in one of the threads that 245 would fit on a 20 inch/ 8.5 inch wheel but not sure...

So Tsportsline is saying that the 245 will fit on the wheel just fine but they are not sure if the model 3 will handle it.

Anyone have 245 tires on a model 3?

So Tsportsline is saying that the 245 will fit on the wheel just fine but they are not sure if the model 3 will handle it.

Anyone have 245 tires on a model 3?

245/35/20 is 26.8" diameter, 235/35/20 is 26.5" diameter. The old school rule of thumb was anything over 3% difference was too much for a car. That's about a 1% difference. Not a big change.

It'll make the speedometer off by that amount unless Tesla has put enough smarts for the car to adjust to any size tire (I think they use a look up table for the sizes / brands they sell and if you put something else on it'll be off slightly).

I doubt it's a deal breaker. Cars have to be more robust than that or you'd hear people complaining all the time about it.

Reactions: srthomas21
I have the performance version with performance breaks. Everyone is out of stock! I just picked up my car last week and the Tesla employee told me not to drive the car in the winter with the performance tires or I would die.

I want to get the T sportsline 20 inch wheels which are in stock but I can't find any 20 inch tires to go with it. Anyone have any sources that actually have them in stock?

I have a model S with 20 inch all season tires for 3 years and I've never had an issue in the winter with it. I don't want to have winter tires and summer tires...prefer just to have one set of good all season.

Any help would be appreciated!

I think that I can pretty well guarantee you that if Elon, or most of Tesla management knew that a employee told you that you would die with the performance tires, they would immediately be fired.

Indeed, there are definitely tires with enhanced grip, but the Tesla traction control seems to be significantly better than any of the competition. As such, many of the needs to utilize winter tires 20, 10, or even 5 years ago are no longer as important as they were previously.

Just like getting you car paint protected, there are many people on this forum that say it is a requirement. But there are 10's of thousands of folks that don't do it and are probably much happier (and a few thousand dollars richer).

Enjoy you car.

If Tesla thought that it was indeed a life or death issue, don't you think that they would have the solution in stock, and probably even only shipping to the north with winter tires installed???

• Disagree
Reactions: Ejl80
I think that I can pretty well guarantee you that if Elon, or most of Tesla management knew that a employee told you that you would die with the performance tires, they would immediately be fired.

Indeed, there are definitely tires with enhanced grip, but the Tesla traction control seems to be significantly better than any of the competition. As such, many of the needs to utilize winter tires 20, 10, or even 5 years ago are no longer as important as they were previously.

Maybe you haven't seen Michelin's warning about the tires and cold temps?

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced

If the High Performance Summer tires get below 20F you can't even roll the car back in your driveway without risking permanent damage to the tire. Let alone trying to drive on them.

Tesla tech doesn't change the laws of physics and the fact that summer tires glassify.

Reactions: DDotJ and SigNC