Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't find any all season that are in stock for my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the same dilemna. I want the 235/35/20 Michelin Pilot A/S+ for the 20" oem sport wheels but they're on backorder for a few weeks at least. I'm thinking of just ordering the 245's. Will the 245 fill the wheel well up a little?

Last edited:
Get snow tires. All seasons are not great in the snow.

I've driven on all seasons for 3 years in my S (Continental Extremes) and they have been great for me. I live in Utah and never had an issue with them.

Have to agree with Big Earl on this...if you actually end up driving in some snowy or icy conditions. If you only deal with cold dry or rainy weather, then all-seasons would be fine. However, if in snow, an all-season will never provide the same level of traction as a dedicated snow. An emergency stop will definitely have a difference in stopping distance and even if it's a foot, that could make the difference. Driving 3 seasons without incident on all-seasons is great but assume you didn't get into an emergency stopping situation in snowy conditions. Even being as careful as you probably are, it is sometimes impossible to avoid bad drivers and proper snows may help you get out of or lessen the potential accident.

Maybe you haven't seen Michelin's warning about the tires and cold temps?

If the High Performance Summer tires get below 20F you can't even roll the car back in your driveway without risking permanent damage to the tire. Let alone trying to drive on them.

Tesla tech doesn't change the laws of physics and the fact that summer tires glassify.

I had two tires pop due to the tires getting extremely cold and losing flexibility. I changed to the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Annoying how Tesla is installing new summer tires on cars in the Northeast in the middle of the winter. You're driving out of the shop and immediately voiding the warranty.

Maybe you haven't seen Michelin's warning about the tires and cold temps?

Hey ho, fellow Knoxville peeps! Can you provide a link to the "Michelin's warning"? Not saying you're wrong, I just looked and looked (and looked some more) and couldn't find anything about it on their website, nor in their users manual/warranty guide. They DID give warning about using winter tires in the summer though, lol. Nothing about summer tire unsafe or voiding warranty if used in winter. BTW, I fundamentally don't disagree with you -- in fact I put on Pilot Sport A/S3+ -- but I did have a nagging feeling that if I kept it garaged in freezing/subfreezing temps and kept it out of rain/snow below 40° I'd be just fine.

Hey ho, fellow Knoxville peeps! Can you provide a link to the "Michelin's warning"? Not saying you're wrong, I just looked and looked (and looked some more) and couldn't find anything about it on their website, nor in their users manual/warranty guide. They DID give warning about using winter tires in the summer though, lol. Nothing about summer tire unsafe or voiding warranty if used in winter. BTW, I fundamentally don't disagree with you -- in fact I put on Pilot Sport A/S3+ -- but I did have a nagging feeling that if I kept it garaged in freezing/subfreezing temps and kept it out of rain/snow below 40° I'd be just fine.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S is where I first saw it.

"Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced."

Looking further I see https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=220 has similar content so it's a Tire Rack warning not a Michelin warning.

This is the example pic they give for the warning:

coldcracking_extremeperformance.jpg

20F or below is a guarantee this morning (Thursday Jan 31). Pretty much anywhere between Chattanooga and the North Pole.

Even if garaged at home, if you drove to work today with High Performance Summer Tires on they'd be cold soaked and glassified in the parking lot at work if you get to work before 9 am.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPUConn
Yeah I read that on tirerack.com too. As you say is a generality about all summer tires.... from a tire reseller. hmmmm.....

I have 3 cars so what I meant was keeping it garaged (never gets below 40 in mine) when the freezing weather hits and driving my 4Runner 4x4 instead. My parking at work is inside climate controlled.

There is this lady who parks where I do at work who has a M3P and is still driving on the Pilot 4S. She has no clue I'm sure. I find it hard to believe there aren't tons out there like her. Tesla delivery surely never told me about the need to change tires for the winter. I just find it so hard to believe that if they are truly that dangerous, Tesla would continue to deliver cars with these tires without any sort of warning or disclaimer. It would be irresponsible.

Yeah I read that on tirerack.com too. As you say is a generality about all summer tires.... from a tire reseller. hmmmm.....

I have 3 cars so what I meant was keeping it garaged (never gets below 40 in mine) when the freezing weather hits and driving my 4Runner 4x4 instead. My parking at work is inside climate controlled.

There is this lady who parks where I do at work who has a M3P and is still driving on the Pilot 4S. She has no clue I'm sure. I find it hard to believe there aren't tons out there like her. Tesla delivery surely never told me about the need to change tires for the winter. I just find it so hard to believe that if they are truly that dangerous, Tesla would continue to deliver cars with these tires without any sort of warning or disclaimer. It would be irresponsible.

I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable "car guy" and I was so excited about the new car (took delivery 12/28) that I didn't even think of the Pilot Sport 4S in cold weather issue until reading about it here. Yes, shame on me, but it is a pretty easy thing to miss...

I just find it so hard to believe that if they are truly that dangerous

I'm not sure that it's dangerous injury wise (ignoring stopping distance reduction), my concern is financial.

If the rubber cracks from use in cold weather you can see the damage. You are just as likely to have a slow leak or a full flat. Catastrophic tire failure at high speed is a possibility but isn't highly likely if you pay attention (TPMS warnings might be the first clue?).

But if it cracks on 4 tires at hundreds of dollars per tire...

Last edited:
I'd recommend reaching out to Chris @EVTuning and pick up a set of 18 or 19" aftermarket wheels with dedicated winter's if he can still get a hold of any. you won't be disappointed!

Thanks for the recommendation!!! I'd done both 245/35/20 for stock 20" for customers without any issues or gone down to an 18 or 19". If you want to discuss further send me an email. [email protected]

Reactions: JPUConn
I have 245/35//r20 DWS 06 on the stock 20" rims and they've been fine. I think this has been the all season of choice for quite a few people with 20" P3 rims.

I hate to drag up an old thread, but I was wondering if you may be able to comment on what your experience was with energy consumption with 245/35R20 DWS06 vs. the stock-sized PS4S tires? I found it interesting that according to Tire Rack the OE 4S has a wider footprint (tread width) than the 245-width DWS06. I was hoping that was good for efficiency.

This is speculation, but I was hoping the DWS would be better than the 4S for consumption for a few reasons... 1. DWS has a harder tread compound and thus lower rolling resistance (the 560 treadwear rating and longer warranty would have me believe this to be the case... but I am not sure). 2. The narrower tread width means less tire in contact with the road surface, also hopefully reducing rolling resistance. 3. Slightly larger diameter may act like a slightly taller gearing increasing high speed efficiency.

Of course there’s a lot of speculation in those three things, but I was hoping them to be true. If you could shed some light on your experience I’d really appreciate it. As long as I don’t lose any more range vs. the stock tires I’ll be happier if the DWS will last longer and allow me yearlong driving.

I honestly don't really have a good measurement because I took the PS4S tires off almost immediately. I think pretty much anything you put on the 20" rims is going to be relatively thirsty.
I almost tried the Vredstein QuatracPro in 245/35R20 size because it’s probably the closest to an MXM4 you can get, but it was given rave reviews by Tire Rack as being the best handling “Touring” tire available.

I almost tried the Vredstein QuatracPro in 245/35R20 size because it’s probably the closest to an MXM4 you can get, but it was given rave reviews by Tire Rack as being the best handling “Touring” tire available.

When these DWS06 wear out, they've got about 20k on them now, i'm probably going to go with a 19" or 18" wheel to help with right quality and efficiency. I've been watching the out of spec motoring road trip and I like the martian wheels so likely something from them.