Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't get app access for my wife

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I received my Model 3 on September 28th and have been thoroughly enjoying it ever since.

The only issue I'm having is that I can't seem to get Tesla to give my wife app support. I've emailed the [email protected] address with all the info. No response. Emailed them again a week later and got a bounce back that said "This email is no longer monitored." I called Tesla customer service, waited for over 30 minutes to speak to an agent who found my email requests and indicated they were forwarding it to the app support team to ensure access was granted and that she should get an email in 2-3 days. That was more than a week ago and still nothing.

All I'm trying to do is maintain the "happy wife, happy life" mantra. She wants access to the same feature I have for our car.
Does anyone have any tips or tricks on making this happen?

I should mention that I'm in Canada. I'm not sure if the process is the same in the US for adding additional users as I've ready FAQs that indicate you may be able to do this from your Tesla Account in the US.

Any advice would be appreciated.

You are way over thinking it.

Step 1 - install app on wife's phone
Step 2 - login using the same username/password as you used to login to the app on your phone
Step 3 - there is no step 3

OK. Fine. I did it your way. Marital bliss has been restored.

Thanks for pointing out my obvious miss. I was definitely overthinking it.

While the given solution "works" I found it distasteful in that it involves sharing credentials. In my case I have 3 separate Tesla accounts that have access to our Model 3. I made the request shortly after I got the car a little over a year ago. FWIW it took them about 9 days to complete the request.

Sharing the password is the "easiest" way to do what you need (its what I did), but there is supposed to be an additional way to do it where they grant a separate account access to your car. As @arnolddeleon says, its possible.

I started down that road when I got my Model 3 last december, and quickly found out that it was going to take "2-3 weeks" as quoted to me by tesla, along with emailing specific info to specific web pages. I did not mind at all sharing credentials with my wife of 34 years, but see where some people might have an issue with it from a security perspective.

having access in the app with your own login basically means you have total access to the car, so tesla does not make that "easy". It "should" be doable, but its one of the customer service type things tesla doesnt do all that well.

An even better route is to just add your wife as the secondary contact. Then you can share the car with her email address and she has her own account. You can do it online in seconds and the other account instantly has access. By having separate accounts, there's no need to share passwords, etc.

If you have multiple cars and don't want to share them all, you just check the boxes next to the car(s) that you want to grant access to.

We typically do this when selling a car as it allows us to instantly give the new buyer access to their new car but doesn't give them any access to our account or other vehicles.

Last edited:

It's not overthinking/miss, its a bit of a security gap to use the same credentials for 2 people.

I did go through the support back a year ago and got a separate login. Although I believe I had to add a secondary contact first under tesla.com / account / contacts with her email.

An even better route is to just add your wife as the secondary contact. Then you can share the car with her email address and she has her own account. You can do it online in seconds and the other account instantly has access. By having separate accounts, there's no need to share passwords, etc.

If you have multiple cars and don't want to share them all, you just check the boxes next to the car(s) that you want to grant access to.

We typically do this when selling a car as it allows us to instantly give the new buyer access to their new car but doesn't give them any access to our account or other vehicles.

Hmm, @MorrisonHiker, I already have my wife as my secondary contact, but dont see where to "share the car with her email address". Can you let us know where that is in the tesla account? I have a feeling you might know it off the top of your head.

EDIT: NM I found it! I dont think this setting was there when I first bought my car... but I am not sure. In any case for anyone else looking for the setting @MorrisonHiker mentioned:

1. Log into your tesla account. Click your car
2. Click "ACCOUNT" near the top right on the screen.
3. Click CONTACT to expand it.
4. In the resulting expanded menu, Either Add, or Edit the secondary contact (I already had filled out this secondary contact previously so not sure what it looks like if you dont have one.
5. At bottom of filling out this contact, select the car you want to give access to (I only have one). Warning will pop up that you will be giving access to another person. Accept this warning.

Last edited:
Have your wife set up her account before you ask to add her to the car.

When I added my wife I had her set up her own Tesla account first. Then contacted Tesla and asked them to grant her account access to the car. I sent them her account email, my account email, and the VIN. They asked for some confirming info (first name, last name, phone number, and mailing address), all together It took about a week and half to two weeks IIRC but it was easy and straightforward.