Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't get charging port door open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I've had this twice now on my Model S: plug in the cable and can't pop the charging port door open; ditto if I try to open the port door using the control panel. Both times haven been on a pretty full charge, so is it b/c the car doesn't need an additional charge? Or is it a glitch?
Thanks
Linda Z
Grey Model S- Seattle WA

Linda

The most common issue is a frozen port door but considering the weather, this is probably not the case. The other issue I ran into is when there is an issue with the charge port or system and the car is protecting the system by not allowing the car to be plugged in. This happened to me a few weeks ago and Tesla replaced the charge port. When you click on the center panel to open the port, do you hear any clicks? In the first case of stuck port, you will hear clicks. In 2nd case of some failure, there was no clicks.

- - - Updated - - -

You should call the service center, they were able to remotely access the car logs and diagnose the issue.

Hi Francis,
thanks- this is very helpful- both times I have heard clicks (regardless of whether I tried the console or the button on the charging cable). In both cases I walked away from the car for a while and then tried again and it opened using the button on the cable. I'll stop by the Tesla service center this week!
thanks again,
linda

Linda, Note the charge port door hinge is not at the very right end of the door. It is a little left of the end. Karate chop the very right end of the door, to the right of the hinge spot. It will pop open. Tesla tech showed me this trick as a last resort. Good luck.

Hi,
I've had this twice now on my Model S: plug in the cable and can't pop the charging port door open; ditto if I try to open the port door using the control panel. Both times haven been on a pretty full charge, so is it b/c the car doesn't need an additional charge? Or is it a glitch?
Thanks
Linda Z
Grey Model S- Seattle WA
Maybe I am reading this wrong?
Plugging in the cable sounds like you have indeed plugged in? Then can't open it? Semantics?
Did you mean go to plug in the cable? :)

I sometimes have a problem with the door opening, too.
It sounds like it's trying to open, but the door doesn't open. If I wait 5-10 seconds and try again, it usually works. I guess I can try the karate chop next time.

I wonder if it has something to do with the magnet that holds the door closed.

Hi,
yes...sounds like it's trying to open, but then it doesn't. I've had to wait a little longer than 5-10sec to get it to work, but both times I could get it after a few minutes. Karate chop in my back pocket just in case! Can't complain too much- the car is so great- only wish I had a slightly longer commute to work!
Thanks!

Linda, Note the charge port door hinge is not at the very right end of the door. It is a little left of the end. Karate chop the very right end of the door, to the right of the hinge spot. It will pop open. Tesla tech showed me this trick as a last resort. Good luck.

Be careful about employing this tip: I tried it and, sure enough, the door popped open. But that was because the adhesive attaching the magnet to the charging port door failed.

Hi Steve,
thanks for this- I've had to do it once so far, and it did work, but I was pretty gentle with it. If it persists I'll take it into the dealer. I also had a bluetooth meltdown, but that was solved easily by rebooting the screen. Otherwise, the car has been really super- wish I had a longer commute!
-Linda

Hi Steve,
thanks for this- I've had to do it once so far, and it did work, but I was pretty gentle with it. If it persists I'll take it into the dealer. I also had a bluetooth meltdown, but that was solved easily by rebooting the screen. Otherwise, the car has been really super- wish I had a longer commute!
-Linda

I have had good luck just pressing the charge door near the hinge. I also had a bluetooth failure today, fixed by a reboot.

First episode of charge port stuck yesterday. I charged with a J1772 charger in the afternoon. came back home. Wanted to try charging from a 110V source. Charge port wouldn't want to open. I heard clicks all the times but no luck. I took the car for a ride, parked in my garage, used the UMC on 240V and then it popped open....

Hope that won't happenwhen my wife charges it or too often

I have still had this from time to time and have taken to pressing on the port door about 1/4 inch from the right side of the door while pressing the button on the charger and the door will pop open (instead of just clicking)...seems to need a little help once in a while... :) really doesn't take a lot of force, just a bit of a nudge.

This is same problem I had last night in Ottawa but my port was frozen shut. Called Tesla service and I was advised to push hard inear the hinge (right side). It worked and the port popped open. Fortunately I was able to charge the car. Afterwards I used a hair dryer and whammy to make certain any other icy spots were removed at the port and door handles.

I had this issue a couple months back. Upon examination, I found the little button magnet on the port door had detached, and was instead stuck to it's mate. SO I put a spot of superglue on the back, and assumed it was fixed. Wrong. There is apparently electrical connection from the button magnet to the port door, so I probably made it worse ... It would release from the iPhone app, but not the charger handle... weird. So at my service interval they warranty replaced.

Mine just started doing this about a week ago. It's definitely not temperature related because it's happening on warm-ish days, too. Plenty of clicking, but it doesn't open unless I push to the right of the hinge. Need to talk to the SC about it.

mine also just did it for the first time this weekend (car is 2.5 weeks old). warm day, i pressed the button, it clicked but didn't open.

pressed the UMC button again, nothing happened.

pressed the 'open charge port' button on the screen, nothing happened.

noticed that the image of the car on the screen / dashboard showed that it was open, though it was not open. but the car thought it was, which explains why it wouldn't try to re-open it.

started the car, turned it back off, and it worked. i'll keep an eye on it; will get SC involved if this continues.