Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't get iPod to show up in Browse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an old iPod which works perfectly on its own and is recognized my other devices like my laptop.

Its software version is 1.3 and format is Windows.

I plug it into the USB connector between the seats, go to Media, Browse, and my Android phone shows up, but my iPod doesn't.

Anyone else seen this?

I have an old iPod which works perfectly on its own and is recognized my other devices like my laptop.

Its software version is 1.3 and format is Windows.

I plug it into the USB connector between the seats, go to Media, Browse, and my Android phone shows up, but my iPod doesn't.

Anyone else seen this?

My guess is that you'll probably have to turn on "Enable disk use" on the iPod as it doesn't communicate the same way that the newer phones do. Then the car can search through the folders for media. I have an old 30GB video iPod that I can help test theories with, if you need.

EDIT: I've connected mine to my car in "enable disk use" mode. After 30 seconds, no listing of music but I'll let it try to scan for a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

It appears that it simply won't work. I'm guessing there's an important step that's needed for more modern iPods that isn't in version 1.3 of the basic iPod software. Moreover, it doesn't seem that the car's software even scans the disk, it attempts to control it like an Apple device, so you can't even use media files loaded on it like a portable hard drive.

Thanks ... tried that ... then reconnected iPod to ITunes and it confirmed Enable Disk Use ... then plugged into car ... the device is not listed below my phone. So no go.
Then I see that youtube does not work on in car browser due to Flash not supported by browser. Hummm.

Disk use on the iPod just means "you can use it as a hard drive"--not that the whole file system is revealed on the USB interface, just that you can use space on it to copy files to/from, but you don't actually get to the music stuff that way. You can just use an empty folder on it like a thumb drive is all.

I thought I read somewhere (maybe TM's forums) that Tesla's supposedly working on licensing whatever from Apple so they can support the iPod the way we all want them to (plug in and then browse music)...this might not be so much licensing as development on Tesla's side, though, and they have a lot on their plate. I have no idea--just wondering. ;-)

In the meantime, someone on the TM forums mentioned that there are dock connector add-ons you can get to make it provide the music over Bluetooth, i.e., like an iPhone or iPod Touch would over Bluetooth. I'm using an FM transmitter that I used in my previous car and it works fine, though I'm considering the Bluetooth add-on. But so far, the sound quality's so good that I don't need to. Caveat: I've never used the Bluetooth adapter/dongle with the iPod Classic, so I don't actually know if/how it works--just mentioning it from what I read elsewhere.

I connect my IPAD by bluetooth, very simple for me ( and believe me it has to be simple), so when ever I go out I take my IPAD and it shows up in my media and devices and I can listen to my freaky music from there.

Disk use on the iPod just means "you can use it as a hard drive"--not that the whole file system is revealed on the USB interface, just that you can use space on it to copy files to/from, but you don't actually get to the music stuff that way. You can just use an empty folder on it like a thumb drive is all.

I can get to the music on it when in disk mode, but all the files are named oddly.

I can get to the music on it when in disk mode, but all the files are named oddly.

Oh okay, it doesn't do that on my Mac. I'm guessing you're using Windows; I forgot they didn't work the same in this respect...on the Mac I see four folders (Contacts, Notes, etc.) but not the iPod_Control folder. I guess on Windows you do? (I can get there via a Command Prompt but the Finder doesn't show it.)

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to pick one of these up and hope ...

Amazon.com: Sony Bluetooth Wireless Transmitter for iPod (Black): Electronics

Will let you know if it works. When do we stop spending money on this obsession? :)

Never! ;-) Cool, looking forward to hearing how that goes; it looks like it should work (it mentions car stereos). It's a shame it's not a passthrough dock connector, though, so you could keep it charged up at the same time.

Currently, there is no native support for iPods or iPhones connected directly to the MS. If I remember correctly this is coming in a future release of firmware.

For the time being I have purchased this Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 32GB USB Flash Drive (SDCZ33-032G-B35): Computers Accessories (32GB mini thumb drive)

It is absolutely tiny and is big enough to hold all my music.

With that being said, if you have a lot of purchased music from the iTunes store that is in the .m4p format (DRM protected files) they will not play on the MS. You will have to convert these files to .m4a or .mp3 to play them. I have signed up for iTunes match using the remainder of an old iTunes gift certificate. iTunes match will allow you to store all of your music in the clound along with pull down higher bitrate files (256) and when you pull down those 256 files they will come in .m4a format which removes the DRM on the files.

When I play My Music, it recognize my iphone5 via Bluetooth but that's it. There is no song showing on the car screen only on the iphone screen and I have to tape my iphone to change songs during driving. MS does not recognize my ipod nano either and not sure how I can enable the nano and suspect I will have to wait for the next version of firmware. Also does anyone know if the two USBs are USB 2.0 or 3.0? Does it really matter if I use my USB just to play music?

When I play My Music, it recognize my iphone5 via Bluetooth but that's it. There is no song showing on the car screen only on the iphone screen and I have to tape my iphone to change songs during driving. MS does not recognize my ipod nano either and not sure how I can enable the nano and suspect I will have to wait for the next version of firmware. Also does anyone know if the two USBs are USB 2.0 or 3.0? Does it really matter if I use my USB just to play music?

They are USB 2.0 and no, it doesn't matter for music.

Currently, there is no native support for iPods or iPhones connected directly to the MS. If I remember correctly this is coming in a future release of firmware.

For the time being I have purchased this Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 32GB USB Flash Drive (SDCZ33-032G-B35): Computers Accessories (32GB mini thumb drive)

It is absolutely tiny and is big enough to hold all my music.

With that being said, if you have a lot of purchased music from the iTunes store that is in the .m4p format (DRM protected files) they will not play on the MS. You will have to convert these files to .m4a or .mp3 to play them. I have signed up for iTunes match using the remainder of an old iTunes gift certificate. iTunes match will allow you to store all of your music in the clound along with pull down higher bitrate files (256) and when you pull down those 256 files they will come in .m4a format which removes the DRM on the files.

FWIW, I installed RockBox (http://www.rockbox.org/) on an old iPod Video (5G) and then copied all my MP3s over. Not the greatest solution but everything does show up on the Model S touchscreen - and in my case the iPod is dedicated to the car. Even with my 320kbps MP3 files, the USB connection sounds 10 times better than bluetooth from my phone.