Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't get it in gear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has this ever happened to anyone else (its happened several times to me):

1. I take out the charge cable, accidentally leaving the charge door open
  2. I put the key in the ignition and rotate to run
  3. I put my foot on brake and try put it in gear
  4. I get an error saying something to the effect that it is an unsafe gear change
  5. I try again and this time I notice the warning about the charge door
  6. I close the charge door, take the key out of the ignition and try again
  7. I get the same error about unsafe gear change

After I get into this state, it usually takes me a couple of tries (key out/in, brake/reverse) to be able to start driving

I've had a 'similar' problem related to the known bug when leaving the charge flap open when starting the car. My car is a 2.5. The bug is repeatable, but manifests itself in 2 or 3 ways possibly including yours above, but for what its worth here's what happens to me :-

- Leave charge door / flap open
- start car, and it will boot up as normal
- Initially the gear mode is 'Park' but the other gear buttons lit up to say a change is allowed.
- BUT … I cant actually engage any other gear
- Pressing D and then the accelerator, and the VDS will display "Press Brake Pedal before shifting"
- Pressing brake pedal does nothing.
- Sometimes if I then take the key out, the rest of the car goes off as normal but the VDS stays on displaying the normal 'drive' screen (temp, time, battery symbol, estimated range, 0mph etc", I've also noticed that the 0mph changed between 0 and 1 mph !!!
- Closing the charge door open, and restarting the car always reverts to normal eventually.
- After closing the charge flap, the car might take 2 or more sessions of turning the key on for it to disappear.
- I queried this with Tesla and they said it was a known bug at the time, which almost certainly means this undocumented feature has probably been mentioned on this forum before.

Last edited:
I like the simplicity of the 1.5.

Another path you can try is to have the charge cable connected and repeat your steps. The 1.5 takes a different software path for that, warning the driver 1st that the car has been disabled due to the charge cable being connected.

By the way I just add a light dab of silicone grease to the Charge port latch and wow what a world of difference that made. It was really catching and hard to pull on, now its has a easy release with the right amount of tension to it.

Last edited:
I think it is simplier with my 1.5 as it just tells me the charge port is open and will not try to start.
My 2.5 does this as well. I went to roll the windows down in the garage while it was plugged in and I just turned the key all the way to "on". I got the beep-beep and a message on the VDS about closing the charge port door before trying to start. Rolled the windows down and turned off the car. Next morning it turned on and ran just fine.