Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't get Virgin Radio on TuneIn radio in Montreal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I'm addressing a very small group of members I know... but I was wondering if anyone else was able to get Virgin Radio (95.9) on TuneIn in their cars. I get what looks like every other radio station but that one. I never listen to the radio anymore, but other passengers want to sometimes and TuneIn is better quality that straight FM.

Anyway, just wondering if I'm the only one that can't see 95.9 in Montreal...

Thanks!

Rob

Hi guys,

I'm addressing a very small group of members I know... but I was wondering if anyone else was able to get Virgin Radio (95.9) on TuneIn in their cars. I get what looks like every other radio station but that one. I never listen to the radio anymore, but other passengers want to sometimes and TuneIn is better quality that straight FM.

I'm surprised by the number of smaller market stations that I can find on TuneIn, but I have noticed that there are a few stations missing (not many). Perhaps Virgin is one of them. 99.9 is Virgin in Toronto, and it can be found on TuneIn.

EDIT: Didn't mean to suggest Montreal is a "smaller" market. What I meant was in addition to the larger markets, they have some really obscure stuff on there too :smile:

Oh hey, yes it is on the web version. That is weird. So why not in the S?

What I did was set up a free TuneIn account, then went on-line and created a favorites list. When I logged in on the Model S, my favorites were there. What I haven't tried is adding one of these web-only stations to the favorites list and seeing if it shows up in the car. I wasn't aware that some stations were only available on the web interface!

What I did was set up a free TuneIn account, then went on-line and created a favorites list. When I logged in on the Model S, my favorites were there. What I haven't tried is adding one of these web-only stations to the favorites list and seeing if it shows up in the car. I wasn't aware that some stations were only available on the web interface!

Funny, I did exactly the same thing. Put Virgin in my favorites and when I got to the car, my favorites was empty and I couldn't select Virgin in the search list either... how bizarre. I'll write to TuneIn just for fun.

Funny, I did exactly the same thing. Put Virgin in my favorites and when I got to the car, my favorites was empty and I couldn't select Virgin in the search list either... how bizarre. I'll write to TuneIn just for fun.

Very odd indeed. My favorites did show up in the car, but I must have picked stations that were available in both places. Just for yucks, I think I'll log in and add Virgin to my favorites and see what happens when I get in the car after work.

Please let me know if it shows up. That would be borked if you in TO get Montreal Virgin and I don't. :p

I added the Toronto and Montreal Virgin stations to my favorites, but they did not show up in the car. The others that I had saved previously were still there. I just checked on the TuneIn web site, and the Virgin stations are there in my favorites.

There must be some licensing issue with the Tesla app vs. the regular web site.

I added the Toronto and Montreal Virgin stations to my favorites, but they did not show up in the car. The others that I had saved previously were still there. I just checked on the TuneIn web site, and the Virgin stations are there in my favorites.

There must be some licensing issue with the Tesla app vs. the regular web site.

How frustrating is that eh? Well, maybe TuneIn will respond... (and fix it?)

How frustrating is that eh? Well, maybe TuneIn will respond... (and fix it?)

To further add to the mystery, I installed the iPhone TuneIn app and logged in there. Guess what... the Toronto and Montreal Virgin stations do show up in my favorites list there (along with my other favorites)!

I was thinking that maybe Virgin only licensed their signals for "stationary" users (i.e. PCs using a web browser) and that it wouldn't show up on the phone either, but that is clearly not the case.

I'm now wondering if this isn't some sort of glitch in Tesla's implementation of TuneIn on the Model S.

To further add to the mystery, I installed the iPhone TuneIn app and logged in there. Guess what... the Toronto and Montreal Virgin stations do show up in my favorites list there (along with my other favorites)!

I was thinking that maybe Virgin only licensed their signals for "stationary" users (i.e. PCs using a web browser) and that it wouldn't show up on the phone either, but that is clearly not the case.

I'm now wondering if this isn't some sort of glitch in Tesla's implementation of TuneIn on the Model S.

Works on Android too. What the heck? :)

Maybe I should be writing to Tesla ownership? It's such a fringe case that noone will take it seriously...

My theory is that stations that use the AAC+v2 codec simply do not work with the Tesla software, but otherwise work in the Flash player and mobile apps. Many other stations use regular AAC or MP3 and work. I can't play SomaFM stations either and believe it is related.

As a work-around (hopefully it will get fixed), you could listen to those stations by using your smartphone and streaming the audio to your S via Bluetooth.

Hey Jeeps!

That's definitely an option. The funny thing is, I never listen to radio anymore, I always listen to Slacker. And one day I'll start building up a FLAC library, then I'll use my USB key... hopefully Tesla will release a shuffle mode on the USB input soon. It's really my GF that uses the radio, and asking her to stream from Bluetooth on her S3 might be a stretch. :p

My theory is that stations that use the AAC+v2 codec simply do not work with the Tesla software, but otherwise work in the Flash player and mobile apps. Many other stations use regular AAC or MP3 and work. I can't play SomaFM stations either and believe it is related.

When I look at the Options on my iPhone TuneIn app, it says I can select either a 48 kbps MP3 stream or a 40kbps AAC stream for the Virgin stations that won't work in the car.