TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can't initiate charges at third party stations

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Jasper NY, Sep 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jasper NY

Jasper NY Member

In mid-August, charges using my J-1772 adapter became difficult or impossible. Does anyone know possible solutions?

1. An EV Connect level 2 station stopped initiating charges after 6 months of hassle-free charging. Their customer service sees no problem with the charging station. This is a real pain because this is my go-to charger near the office.

2. Contemporaneous with the above, a SemaConnect level 2 station initiates charges but only after a 4-5 minute delay. This is a recent problem, previously charges were initiated immediately.

3. Charges from Tesla chargers (level 2 or superchargers) initiate immediately with no problems.

The adapter is first plugged into my Model 3 before I connect to the charging station & request a charge. I bought a new J-1772 adapter from the Tesla store but this made no difference. I rebooted my car several times to no effect.

Thanks for your help!

2. srs5694

srs5694 Active Member

If this problem occurs at all J1772 EVSEs, then I recommend contacting Tesla for service. As I understand it, Teslas "talk" both the protocol used by J1772 and the protocol that Tesla developed, so it could be that the J1772 electronic handshake is failing for some reason that's not affecting Tesla's protocols. If the problem affects only some J1772 units, then it's more puzzling, but it could still be something like this, but somehow restricted to just some J1772 units. I'd keep a log of a few failed attempts, including the exact date and time, so that Tesla can look up logs from your car when you go in for service. (It's conceivable they could do some diagnostics remotely, in fact.)

• Helpful x 1
  3. darth_vad3r

darth_vad3r Well-Known Sith

Trade adapters with a friend and see if theirs works on your car and/or yours fails on their car. Then when it fails, call Tesla service and ask for a replacement adapter.

Also, blow in your adapter and clean it out ... maybe some spiders are in there messing with the negotiation resistance levels :)

4. Jasper NY

Jasper NY Member

I took your advice and tried yet another non-Tesla level 2 charger. This charger was free courtesy of Westchester Medical Center. The charge initiated immediately with no delay.

Failure to initiate charges appears limited to non-Tesla stations that charge a fee.

5. Petrlol

Petrlol Member

Welcome to the absolute dumpster fire that is charging a non-Tesla EV in America. All of these Tesla killers are coming!!!! Yet they don't even have basic charging functioning.

I too have taken a few road trips and tried to use Chargepoint, Evgo, greenlots, etc... and have a 90% failure rate getting their crappy apps and terminals to respond. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, TN for example have like 7 charging options and ALL of them are broken.

• Like x 2
  6. kavyboy

kavyboy Active Member

ChargePoint seems good. I've had 100% success with them and they're often free. On the other hand, I just filter Blink out of my charger searches as I assume they're be expensive and/or broken.

• Like x 2
  7. AdamMacDon

AdamMacDon Member

I'd see if you can find another Tesla owner to trade adapters with temporarily, then see if he can charge. If he can with your adapter then the problem is likely your car's onboard charger or software related to it. Sounds almost like a bad adapter from what I've heard, though.

8. vickh

vickh Active Member

Agreed. Blink is very hit/miss

9. ljbad4life

ljbad4life Member

Chargepoint (even the paid ones) have been the most reliable for me. I've never had one fail. Flo on the other hand is an absolute dumpster fire. I've never had one work.

Here are my rankings for non-tesla chargers networks (reliability- that I have regularly used)

1)Chargepoint
    2)electrify america
    3)EVgo
    4)Semacharge
    5)Blink (they have a short life span, the older ones malfunction a lot)
    6)Flo(Never worked for me, crappy app, crappy login, just crappy all around)

• Informative x 1
  10. AdamMacDon

AdamMacDon Member

That's funny that you say that, I find Flo is the most reliable one here in Canada and Chargepoint machines are often out of order. Purely anecdotal, of course, but my experience here has been about 30% of Chargepoint stations work versus 90% or more for Flo. In the end, I think the real onus is on the property owner to maintain their EV stations, not the manufacturer of the device.

11. ljbad4life

ljbad4life Member

Flo without the card is a disaster. The app is from Geocities 1995. If you have the card, It's probably better.

• Funny x 1
  12. doghousePVD

doghousePVD My grandfather’s car

I basically gave up on non-Tesla chargers. The first five I tried all failed. I now have a Chargepoint card which has worked, but I only have used it as a test, not as a real charge.

13. AdamMacDon

AdamMacDon Member

I don't have the card, the mobile app works fine for me (although sometimes it thinks I'm in the central US, LOL). Only thing that doesn't work on the app for me is the NFC tap, I have to manually select a station on the map and start session that way. Not the most convenient thing, but worth the free charge.

14. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

That’s interesting. The charging protocol between the car and the unit should be the same in both cases.

Know anyone else with a Tesla that you could try back to back in one of these chargers?

Like others have mentioned, I find the charging infrastructure very hit-n-miss.

15. ninpb

ninpb Member

Hey, I too have had trouble charging with j1772 chargers at work since august. Prior to that, it worked fine for a year.

Work is free charging, over a hundred chargers. I've tried multiple also borrowed coworkers adapter but still fails. Coworkers charges fine.

My failure is it charges fine then any where from 5-30min it stops. App says charging interrupted.

Chat support had me turn off and reboot first time which worked for a few weeks then started back up again. Had to reboot a few times now.

Go home and it charges fine with my Tesla mobile connector.

I have service this weekend so I'll let you guys know.

16. GalaxyExplorer

I’m having a similar problem with using a ChargePoint j1772. I can activate the charger but once I plug in, the charger does not recognize it’s plugged in, and my M3 stops the charging session. This happened two days in a row. Same charging location but different stalls. The second time I used a stall that I saw a Model S successfully charge at the day before. I had no problem charging here back in August. Last week I upgraded SW to 2019.32.2.2, does anyone think this could be the problem? I’ve only used the j1772 adapter 10 or so times so would not think it would fail yet.

17. ninpb

ninpb Member

Service texted me about this Saturday appointment. Told them I'm also experiencing said j1772 charging issues. First asked about testing adapter which I already did and failed. They then looked at my vehicles logs remotely and found intermittent issues with the charge port. Will check to make sure they have the parts ready. Living in the future!

18. MarkBrokeIt

MarkBrokeIt Supporting Member

Can you please check the details of your work order to see what they changed? I'm also having J1772 charging issues, and I'd like to know what they found on your car.

19. ninpb

ninpb Member

Concern: Customer states he is getting charging faults at work.

Tech removed the charge port. No outside influence damage. Charge port was replaced and verified that it charges
    properly. vehicle charges as designed.

Correction: Charge Port (Remove & Replace)
    Parts Replaced or Added
    Part Quantity
    CHARGE PORT ASSY,MDL3,SAE(NA),GEN3(1093010-10
    -G)

Correction: General Diagnosis

• Informative x 1