Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't initiate charges at third party stations

In mid-August, charges using my J-1772 adapter became difficult or impossible. Does anyone know possible solutions?

1. An EV Connect level 2 station stopped initiating charges after 6 months of hassle-free charging. Their customer service sees no problem with the charging station. This is a real pain because this is my go-to charger near the office.

2. Contemporaneous with the above, a SemaConnect level 2 station initiates charges but only after a 4-5 minute delay. This is a recent problem, previously charges were initiated immediately.

3. Charges from Tesla chargers (level 2 or superchargers) initiate immediately with no problems.

The adapter is first plugged into my Model 3 before I connect to the charging station & request a charge. I bought a new J-1772 adapter from the Tesla store but this made no difference. I rebooted my car several times to no effect.

Thanks for your help!

srs5694

Jan 15, 2019
Woonsocket, RI
If this problem occurs at all J1772 EVSEs, then I recommend contacting Tesla for service. As I understand it, Teslas "talk" both the protocol used by J1772 and the protocol that Tesla developed, so it could be that the J1772 electronic handshake is failing for some reason that's not affecting Tesla's protocols. If the problem affects only some J1772 units, then it's more puzzling, but it could still be something like this, but somehow restricted to just some J1772 units. I'd keep a log of a few failed attempts, including the exact date and time, so that Tesla can look up logs from your car when you go in for service. (It's conceivable they could do some diagnostics remotely, in fact.)

• Helpful
Reactions: KerryOH

darth_vad3r

Well-Known Sith
May 6, 2019
Canada
In mid-August, charges using my J-1772 adapter became difficult or impossible. Does anyone know possible solutions?

1. An EV Connect level 2 station stopped initiating charges after 6 months of hassle-free charging. Their customer service sees no problem with the charging station. This is a real pain because this is my go-to charger near the office.

2. Contemporaneous with the above, a SemaConnect level 2 station initiates charges but only after a 4-5 minute delay. This is a recent problem, previously charges were initiated immediately.

3. Charges from Tesla chargers (level 2 or superchargers) initiate immediately with no problems.

The adapter is first plugged into my Model 3 before I connect to the charging station & request a charge. I bought a new J-1772 adapter from the Tesla store but this made no difference. I rebooted my car several times to no effect.

Thanks for your help!

Trade adapters with a friend and see if theirs works on your car and/or yours fails on their car. Then when it fails, call Tesla service and ask for a replacement adapter.

Also, blow in your adapter and clean it out ... maybe some spiders are in there messing with the negotiation resistance levels :)

If this problem occurs at all J1772 EVSEs, then I recommend contacting Tesla for service. As I understand it, Teslas "talk" both the protocol used by J1772 and the protocol that Tesla developed, so it could be that the J1772 electronic handshake is failing for some reason that's not affecting Tesla's protocols. If the problem affects only some J1772 units, then it's more puzzling, but it could still be something like this, but somehow restricted to just some J1772 units. I'd keep a log of a few failed attempts, including the exact date and time, so that Tesla can look up logs from your car when you go in for service. (It's conceivable they could do some diagnostics remotely, in fact.)

I took your advice and tried yet another non-Tesla level 2 charger. This charger was free courtesy of Westchester Medical Center. The charge initiated immediately with no delay.

Failure to initiate charges appears limited to non-Tesla stations that charge a fee.

Petrlol

Oct 16, 2018
Ohio
I took your advice and tried yet another non-Tesla level 2 charger. This charger was free courtesy of Westchester Medical Center. The charge initiated immediately with no delay.

Failure to initiate charges appears limited to non-Tesla stations that charge a fee.

Welcome to the absolute dumpster fire that is charging a non-Tesla EV in America. All of these Tesla killers are coming!!!! Yet they don't even have basic charging functioning.

I too have taken a few road trips and tried to use Chargepoint, Evgo, greenlots, etc... and have a 90% failure rate getting their crappy apps and terminals to respond. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, TN for example have like 7 charging options and ALL of them are broken.

AdamMacDon

May 8, 2019
Victoria BC
I'd see if you can find another Tesla owner to trade adapters with temporarily, then see if he can charge. If he can with your adapter then the problem is likely your car's onboard charger or software related to it. Sounds almost like a bad adapter from what I've heard, though.

ljbad4life

Nov 6, 2009
Chargepoint (even the paid ones) have been the most reliable for me. I've never had one fail. Flo on the other hand is an absolute dumpster fire. I've never had one work.

Here are my rankings for non-tesla chargers networks (reliability- that I have regularly used)

1)Chargepoint
2)electrify america
3)EVgo
4)Semacharge
5)Blink (they have a short life span, the older ones malfunction a lot)
6)Flo(Never worked for me, crappy app, crappy login, just crappy all around)

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
Chargepoint (even the paid ones) have been the most reliable for me. I've never had one fail. Flo on the other hand is an absolute dumpster fire. I've never had one work.

Here are my rankings for non-tesla chargers networks (reliability- that I have regularly used)

1)Chargepoint
2)electrify america
3)EVgo
4)Semacharge
5)Blink (they have a short life span, the older ones malfunction a lot)
6)Flo(Never worked for me, crappy app, crappy login, just crappy all around)
That's funny that you say that, I find Flo is the most reliable one here in Canada and Chargepoint machines are often out of order. Purely anecdotal, of course, but my experience here has been about 30% of Chargepoint stations work versus 90% or more for Flo. In the end, I think the real onus is on the property owner to maintain their EV stations, not the manufacturer of the device.

ljbad4life

Nov 6, 2009
That's funny that you say that, I find Flo is the most reliable one here in Canada and Chargepoint machines are often out of order. Purely anecdotal, of course, but my experience here has been about 30% of Chargepoint stations work versus 90% or more for Flo. In the end, I think the real onus is on the property owner to maintain their EV stations, not the manufacturer of the device.

Flo without the card is a disaster. The app is from Geocities 1995. If you have the card, It's probably better.

• Funny
Reactions: Rex Kramer
Flo without the card is a disaster. The app is from Geocities 1995. If you have the card, It's probably better.
I don't have the card, the mobile app works fine for me (although sometimes it thinks I'm in the central US, LOL). Only thing that doesn't work on the app for me is the NFC tap, I have to manually select a station on the map and start session that way. Not the most convenient thing, but worth the free charge.

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX

That’s interesting. The charging protocol between the car and the unit should be the same in both cases.

Know anyone else with a Tesla that you could try back to back in one of these chargers?

Like others have mentioned, I find the charging infrastructure very hit-n-miss.

ninpb

Jun 19, 2018
So Cal
Hey, I too have had trouble charging with j1772 chargers at work since august. Prior to that, it worked fine for a year.

Work is free charging, over a hundred chargers. I've tried multiple also borrowed coworkers adapter but still fails. Coworkers charges fine.

My failure is it charges fine then any where from 5-30min it stops. App says charging interrupted.

Chat support had me turn off and reboot first time which worked for a few weeks then started back up again. Had to reboot a few times now.

Go home and it charges fine with my Tesla mobile connector.

I have service this weekend so I'll let you guys know.

Hey, I too have had trouble charging with j1772 chargers at work since august. Prior to that, it worked fine for a year.

Work is free charging, over a hundred chargers. I've tried multiple also borrowed coworkers adapter but still fails. Coworkers charges fine.

My failure is it charges fine then any where from 5-30min it stops. App says charging interrupted.

Chat support had me turn off and reboot first time which worked for a few weeks then started back up again. Had to reboot a few times now.

Go home and it charges fine with my Tesla mobile connector.

I have service this weekend so I'll let you guys know.

I’m having a similar problem with using a ChargePoint j1772. I can activate the charger but once I plug in, the charger does not recognize it’s plugged in, and my M3 stops the charging session. This happened two days in a row. Same charging location but different stalls. The second time I used a stall that I saw a Model S successfully charge at the day before. I had no problem charging here back in August. Last week I upgraded SW to 2019.32.2.2, does anyone think this could be the problem? I’ve only used the j1772 adapter 10 or so times so would not think it would fail yet.

ninpb

Jun 19, 2018
So Cal
Service texted me about this Saturday appointment. Told them I'm also experiencing said j1772 charging issues. First asked about testing adapter which I already did and failed. They then looked at my vehicles logs remotely and found intermittent issues with the charge port. Will check to make sure they have the parts ready. Living in the future!

MarkBrokeIt

Apr 21, 2018
Seattle
Service texted me about this Saturday appointment. Told them I'm also experiencing said j1772 charging issues. First asked about testing adapter which I already did and failed. They then looked at my vehicles logs remotely and found intermittent issues with the charge port. Will check to make sure they have the parts ready. Living in the future!
Can you please check the details of your work order to see what they changed? I'm also having J1772 charging issues, and I'd like to know what they found on your car.

ninpb

Jun 19, 2018
So Cal
Can you please check the details of your work order to see what they changed? I'm also having J1772 charging issues, and I'd like to know what they found on your car.

Concern: Customer states he is getting charging faults at work.

Tech removed the charge port. No outside influence damage. Charge port was replaced and verified that it charges
properly. vehicle charges as designed.

Correction: Charge Port (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
CHARGE PORT ASSY,MDL3,SAE(NA),GEN3(1093010-10
-G)

Correction: General Diagnosis

• Informative
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC