Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't Lock Keys Inside Vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to be able to leave my keys in the vehicle and then lock it from the app. After locking the vehicle from the app, I wouldn't be able to unlock by tapping the door handles. I could only unlock from the app. I just noticed this is no longer the case. Anyone else notice this? Am I wrong that you used to be able to do this? I hate carrying keys in my pocket and frequently leave my keys in the vehicle and use the app to lock/unlock.

How could/did you do it before?

There is a dead spot, at least in the X, especially for this. If that’s not what you’re describing, no idea. It’s in the manual, right rear corner I believe.

Obviously if not in a dead spot or a faraway bag, the key (fob) will work. So we need more details.

There is a dead spot, at least in the X, especially for this. If that’s not what you’re describing, no idea. It’s in the manual, right rear corner I believe.

Obviously if not in a dead spot or a faraway bag, the key (fob) will work. So we need more details.

Before I would just leave the keys in the cup holder and then slide the arm rest over them to cover it. I know it had worked in the past but maybe I was just getting lucky?

I'm pretty sure there's a dead spot in the S. I thought that's where I first heard about it.

You can also use an RF shielded pouch or a tin can to isolate the fob. I always travel with one. We stay in a room directly over the Model X in the garage when staying at our son's house. The car was always waking up if the fob wasn't shielded.