Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't login to Tesla app with ios9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys
Since Tesla increased security a few weeks ago, my iphone 11 and 2019 ipad mini connect OK, but my wife's iphone 5 and old ipad running ios9 (can't update higher) can't login. It won't accept the username and login that works on my iphone 11. Should we be able to login or have I got to spend $$$ on a new iphone that runs >ios9?. The old iphone 5S was bought just before Apple (bless them) discontinued it and prevented upgrading higher than ios9. Actually this is fine for me - SWMBO can't see where I gave got to, but I'm getting serious "where the hell have you been" stuff! Thought I was going to have to make my own dinner today!

We also found that various apps including the Tesla app are defaulting to an old email address that no longer works, but can't figure out how to delete that on the Tesla app, even by reinstalling. We eventually managed it on find my phone.

If you look at the latest Tesla App on the App Store (‎Tesla), you'll see that iOS 10 is the minimum version. This implies that the version you have on your iOS 9 device is out of date, and more than likely isn't going to function correctly or in your case won't allow you to login.

You should consider upgrading to an Phone that runs the latest iOS 14,4, so maybe the new iPhone 12 or 12 Mini (if you're looking for a smaller device like the iPhone 5).

I should have also added that the iPhone 5 arrived on September 21, 2012, and it sounds like you purchased it just before it went "End of Support" on September 18, 2017... I also note that just before it went "End of Support" it could be upgraded to iOS 10.3.3 which means that you could run the latest version of the Tesla App had you possibly kept it updated when each release of iOS comes out...

Have you tried to upgrade it (Settings, General, Software Update) to see if it will still download iOS 10.3.3? I think the latest iOS 14.4 is the only one being signed by Apple, so I'm guessing that you may not be able to upgrade...

Just thought I would share a few more details about the iPhone 5 and the iOS version that was last supported by that device.

Not to mention ios 9 hasn't been updated in YEARS, your exposed to security flaws in the OS alone. Hence why app developers won't support anything lower than what Apple supports. Not patches, less security, more liability for developers. Do yourself a favor and get a newer gen iphone. If the form factor of the 5 is what you're looking for, get the iPhone mini. don't do the same thing and buy the cheapest you can get now and be on the same boat 3 years from now. get something current get (iPhone 11 or newer)

Not to mention ios 9 hasn't been updated in YEARS, your exposed to security flaws in the OS alone. Hence why app developers won't support anything lower than what Apple supports. Not patches, less security, more liability for developers. Do yourself a favor and get a newer gen iphone. If the form factor of the 5 is what you're looking for, get the iPhone mini. don't do the same thing and buy the cheapest you can get now and be on the same boat 3 years from now. get something current get (iPhone 11 or newer)
If touchID is needed the iPhone SE2020 is a good alternative