Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't open driver's side door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting frustrating with this vehicle. Picked up two weeks ago, within few days the driver's side door latch not working, had it at Dania Beach service center for two days, said they realigned latch. Worked for five days, now same problem, in fact cannot open door from outside, have to open passenger side door and crawl across to manually push door open. Have call in to service center, obviously will have to leave it there again. Not what I had expected from quality, have had Sig MS and never had these kinds of quality problems. Guess just venting.

I wish the mobile app had the ability for you to roll down the windows or the key fob had a long press and hold function to do it. Since they use the Mercedes window button modules in the car and my previous Mercedes cars had this function from the fob it would be cool to have it with the Tesla.

I wish the mobile app had the ability for you to roll down the windows or the key fob had a long press and hold function to do it. Since they use the Mercedes window button modules in the car and my previous Mercedes cars had this function from the fob it would be cool to have it with the Tesla.

The fob actually used to roll down the windows.

But then frequently I would come back to the car with one or other window rolled done... - which isn't something the fob actually did - it always rolled down ALL the Windows, but Tesla blamed the fob getting butt-dialed regardless.

Anyway, they took away that functionality and the problem was solved. Somehow.

You gave me good idea for next few days before take vehicle to service center, instead of going in through passenger door will just leave window down on driver's side so can reach in and open door manually. But agree that would be better if fob could open windows. Thanks.

Reactions: loganintx
Maybe try Palm Beach service crew if you continue to have problems.

Getting frustrating with this vehicle. Picked up two weeks ago, within few days the driver's side door latch not working, had it at Dania Beach service center for two days, said they realigned latch. Worked for five days, now same problem, in fact cannot open door from outside, have to open passenger side door and crawl across to manually push door open. Have call in to service center, obviously will have to leave it there again. Not what I had expected from quality, have had Sig MS and never had these kinds of quality problems. Guess just venting.

Picked up two weeks ago, within few days the driver's side door latch not working
If it's a complete latch failure then it will have to be serviced. I had this happen with my car once. I found that cycling it about 10 times cured it. I was at a supercharger and had nothing to do for an hour. It meant getting into the passenger side and opening the door. Sometimes it would only partially open and I had to pry it all the way open. Then I would press the handle and get it to close and try to open it again. If it did not open I repeated the process.

Again this only happened to me once and I may have not really done anything to help the situation other than keep busy, but after about 10 cycles of this the door started working again and has not failed for a month since.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
If it's a complete latch failure then it will have to be serviced. I had this happen with my car once. I found that cycling it about 10 times cured it. I was at a supercharger and had nothing to do for an hour. It meant getting into the passenger side and opening the door. Sometimes it would only partially open and I had to pry it all the way open. Then I would press the handle and get it to close and try to open it again. If it did not open I repeated the process.

Again this only happened to me once and I may have not really done anything to help the situation other than keep busy, but after about 10 cycles of this the door started working again and has not failed for a month since.
Dropped vehicle at service center this morning, they are going to replace the latch, last visit they only did realignment. Am confident this will fix problem. Shouldn't have been so aggravated but have been spoiled, with 42,000 miles now on MS never had to go to service center twice for same problem, expect on going forward basis will be same for Model X, which drives beautifully once can get in vehicle.

Good point. Reason I took in to service center Friday, even though probably won't be worked on until Monday, rain forecast this weekend. But did discover new nice feature of falcon wing doors, at least in 6 seat configuration, with FWD open can walk into second row and reach through center console to unlatch door. Less embarrassing than crawling over seats from passenger side. But hopefully will be moot issue since expect replacement latch to be the needed fix.

Wow, so many reports of door issues on the X. How many other cars have "can't open door" problems?? A POS 10 year old beater will likely never have door opening problems.
Elon is really gonna regret (or is already regretting) including the FWD on the X, though OP's problem is technically not a FWD issue.

Quick update, all fixed and drives great, told guy at service center to have a good summer. Turns out rattles due to panels touching, while at center they noticed passenger side latch not working so also replaced. Speaking of service center, over 3 years ago on Model S site mentioned that have been at too many auto service centers over years from almost all manufacturers and always a chore, but personnel at Dania Beach service center terrific, actually a pleasure to go there and meet and chat with them, and of course great service. Still true today. But note to Tesla Motors, need to open Coral Gables service center sooner rather than later.