Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't play music via bluetooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my 2020 M3 in for servicing in Watertown MA this morning. An interior trim piece had come loose. They did a great job of fixing it. About 40 miles into my trip back home I tried to play some music from my iPhone library via bluetooth, but couldn't. I decided to listen to the radio instead and look into it when I got home. In the meantime, I stopped for a snack and as I walked away from the car, it locked automatically. It also unlocked when I got back to the car. So it would appear the bluetooth was working, at least for locking and unlocking.

Now that I'm home, I made sure that my phone's bluetooth setting was on. It was. Then I tried unpairing the phone and re-pairing it. The Tesla App indicated that the phone was connected, so I walked back to the car. Sure enough, it unlocked normally. But I still couldn't get music to play and the bluetooth icon in the upper right hand corner wasn't lit up. So, I tried pairing the phone again. I waited well over 5 minutes and it still wouldn't pair, yet my phone says it is connected. I texted Tesla's service and couldn't get an appointment in any of 4 different service centers, all over 90 minutes from me, until October 4th.

Does anyone have a suggestion about what to do, other than wait three weeks.

Reactions: Taxvictim
The bluetooth connection that makes the phone work as a key is not the same as the bluetooth connection for audio, phone calls etc. If the bluetooth icon is not lit up at the top right of the car's screen, click on it, choose your device and press the "connect" button. It happens sometimes that I get in the car and my phone doesn't automatically connect. Pressing that establishes the connection and all is fine afterwards.

The bluetooth connection that makes the phone work as a key is not the same as the bluetooth connection for audio, phone calls etc. If the bluetooth icon is not lit up at the top right of the car's screen, click on it, choose your device and press the "connect" button. It happens sometimes that I get in the car and my phone doesn't automatically connect. Pressing that establishes the connection and all is fine afterwards.
Thanks, but I've already tried that three times and have had no luck. I've waited well over 5 minutes each time too.

Just to be clear there are two bluetooth connections. One is LE connection that is done between the Tesla App and your phone. Another is a the more common Bluetooth connection between your phone's OS and the car. This handles music and the telephone.

Make sure you deleted your phone from the car's menu and your phone's bluetooth setting.

I just went out to the car to try unpairing the car from the phone and the phone from the car, but when I got in the car the music came on via bluetooth after just a few seconds...in other words, like it usually does. I have no idea why it wouldn't do it for a period of about 4 hours, but I'm happy that it is now working just fine. Just goes to show that Tesla's are truly computers on wheels. And that's not a complaint...well not much of one. I also want to say that the service I had done at the Watertown service center today was done in a very professional way. I'd barely gotten out of the car when one of the techs walked up to me and asked my name, then he asked to be shown the loose piece of interior trim that I was there about. He said it would take about 45 minutes to do the job. 35 minutes later, it was done and I was on my way. Excellent service

been struggling with same issues. 1) i get the difference between key and bluetooth 2) i have connected and can use phone but no bluetooth media 3) i have forgotten connections on both ends and rebooted testa screen many times 4) i have tried ipad and other bluetooth devices and I can always pair but I can never play audio

To check the car audio source settings
from the user manual
Customize your preferred media sources by going to Media Player > Settings > Sources and hide sources that you do not use.

Check the car audio settings make sure BT is enabled (not hidden)
and check on your phone if it's connected to the car in the phones BT settings

Reactions: Stan930