Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't play music via bluetooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have just run into the same issue. Bluetooth has been working just fine (podcasts, audiobooks, Spotify) until yesterday, suddenly it won't play audio. Have unpaired/forgotten devices on both ends, reset infotainment system and phone, still not working. Will update if I find a solution other than "walked out to my car this morning and it worked"

I took my 2020 M3 in for servicing in Watertown MA this morning. An interior trim piece had come loose. They did a great job of fixing it. About 40 miles into my trip back home I tried to play some music from my iPhone library via bluetooth, but couldn't. I decided to listen to the radio instead and look into it when I got home. In the meantime, I stopped for a snack and as I walked away from the car, it locked automatically. It also unlocked when I got back to the car. So it would appear the bluetooth was working, at least for locking and unlocking.

Now that I'm home, I made sure that my phone's bluetooth setting was on. It was. Then I tried unpairing the phone and re-pairing it. The Tesla App indicated that the phone was connected, so I walked back to the car. Sure enough, it unlocked normally. But I still couldn't get music to play and the bluetooth icon in the upper right hand corner wasn't lit up. So, I tried pairing the phone again. I waited well over 5 minutes and it still wouldn't pair, yet my phone says it is connected. I texted Tesla's service and couldn't get an appointment in any of 4 different service centers, all over 90 minutes from me, until October 4th.

Does anyone have a suggestion about what to do, other than wait three weeks.
Tap the bluetooth icon in the icon list! This worked for me!

I had this same issue. I had to go into the icon list and tap the bluetooth icon. I had previously used spotify so no matter what I did there was no bluetooth sound coming from any media on my phone until I did this. I tried resetting EVERYTHING
Me too. I took it in for service yesterday afternoon, and subsequently can't get bluetooth playback. Streaming music from the native Tesla OS works, but not BT of any kind.

Also, the driver side window is now miscalibrated. It rolls down about 1/2" after closing the door, and the app warns me that it's open, but pressing close doesn't resolve it. I'm hoping it doesn't rain before the next mobile service availability.

I encountered an inability to connect Bluetooth audio after changing my Model Y’s name! After trying all suggestions, I solved the problem by disconnecting Bluetooth on both the touchscreen and the iPhone, deleting the Tesla app and staring setup from scratch. Problem solved!!

The car’s name is included in the Bluetooth name for the audio connection, and this seemed to really throw a wrench in the works.

I encountered an inability to connect Bluetooth audio after changing my Model Y’s name! After trying all suggestions, I solved the problem by disconnecting Bluetooth on both the touchscreen and the iPhone, *deleting the Tesla app*, reinstalling the Tesla app, and staring setup from scratch. Problem solved!!

The car’s name is included in the Bluetooth name for the audio connection, and this seemed to really throw a wrench in the works.

Same problem. Could not get audio from my iPhone to the tesla radio (speakers). Reset the infotainment center AND disconnected (forgot) my phone on the tesla and the iPhone and it started working. Not sure which of the two actions fixed it. Hope this helps. Seems to be a common problem.

New owner MYLR here. I had the same issue— unable to play audio from my iPhone (podcasts, audiobooks), yet my iPhone was successfully unlocking the car, plus ‘connected’ to my iPhone. For me, the solution was simple.

I somehow missed the memo that you have to SELECT bluetooth as an Audio Source.

This is most easily done in one of two ways:

1/ if you have music playing or paused, swipe UP from “media card” that displays the artist and title of the track. The larger card that then displays has teeny gray menu choice labeled “Sources”. Press on Sources, then select “Bluetooth”. Your music, podcasts or audiobooks will now play through the Tesla audio system.

2/ or simply tap to open the large infotainment display which has all the small icons. Press the blue bluetooth button to select BLUETOOTH (your phone) as the Audio Source.

Hope this helps someone!

Reactions: Blaiwesk
This has to be a recent issue. My Bluetooth audio went out sometime earlier this week and after "forgetting my phone," touching every Bluetooth icon I can find , and giving the computer display a power reset, I still can't hear audio from phone calls nor does my YouTube Music supply sound all via Bluetooth.

New owner MYLR here. I had the same issue— unable to play audio from my iPhone (podcasts, audiobooks), yet my iPhone was successfully unlocking the car, plus ‘connected’ to my iPhone. For me, the solution was simple.

I somehow missed the memo that you have to SELECT bluetooth as an Audio Source.

This is most easily done in one of two ways:

1/ if you have music playing or paused, swipe UP from “media card” that displays the artist and title of the track. The larger card that then displays has teeny gray menu choice labeled “Sources”. Press on Sources, then select “Bluetooth”. Your music, podcasts or audiobooks will now play through the Tesla audio system.

2/ or simply tap to open the large infotainment display which has all the small icons. Press the blue bluetooth button to select BLUETOOTH (your phone) as the Audio Source.

Hope this helps someone!
This worked for me!! I've tried resetting the computer, turning Bluetooth on and off on Tesla and phone, deleting the app and reinstalling, everything, multiple times, and what finally worked was selecting Bluetooth as the audio source!!
I did that by hitting the button with the the dots at the bottom of the screen (? is this the media button?), and tapping the Bluetooth icon, then it pops up saying "select media source" and my phone was an option. Actually the first time it worked I used the voice function to say "media source Bluetooth."
So it seems I just needed to select Bluetooth as the media source, even though it was already using Bluetooth as the key and for phone calls, etc.
Media/streaming music/YouTube/others needs to have Bluetooth selected as a source. At least for me. So happy to have this issue resolved!!

Found this thread. ‘23 MYLR here.

3 weeks ago - I got the unrecognized music played from the YouTube App in iPhone 14 Pro Max. Bluetooth was ON as the source.

Last weeks all of sudden I had no problem and clearly heard the music played from my iPhone or YouTube App from my iPhone. Earlier I almost planned to schedule the visit to Tesla after trying everything. I still didn’t know why it suddenly worked. Everything went back normal. It seemed nothing had happened.

Now this week, I’m back to the same problem as what happened 2 weeks ago - all the music sounds like compressed and unrecognized when playing them via Bluetooth from my iPhone.

Note: During these weeks, all the music played from Tesla screen - Radio YouTube Streaming is all good. I can Bluetooth to talk my phone as well.

Found this thread. ‘23 MYLR here.

3 weeks ago - I got the unrecognized music played from the YouTube App in iPhone 14 Pro Max. Bluetooth was ON as the source.

Last weeks all of sudden I had no problem and clearly heard the music played from my iPhone or YouTube App from my iPhone. Earlier I almost planned to schedule the visit to Tesla after trying everything. I still didn’t know why it suddenly worked. Everything went back normal. It seemed nothing had happened.

Now this week, I’m back to the same problem as what happened 2 weeks ago - all the music sounds like compressed and unrecognized when playing them via Bluetooth from my iPhone.

Note: During these weeks, all the music played from Tesla screen - Radio YouTube Streaming is all good. I can Bluetooth to talk my phone as well.
Just the quick update. I've been able to connect to my iPhone and play YouTube music. Still no idea of how this is fixed itself. Reset won't work for me. The best solution is to wait. It's just suddenly working itself, and sometimes it failed next days/week.

I'll add this to my list of questions if planning to go to Tesla shop in the future.

I encountered an inability to connect Bluetooth audio after changing my Model Y’s name! After trying all suggestions, I solved the problem by disconnecting Bluetooth on both the touchscreen and the iPhone, deleting the Tesla app and staring setup from scratch. Problem solved!!

Interesting, I think I started having the same issue when I added My Car name as well. Thank You.

To check the car audio source settings
from the user manual
Customize your preferred media sources by going to Media Player > Settings > Sources and hide sources that you do not use.

Check the car audio settings make sure BT is enabled (not hidden)
and check on your phone if it's connected to the car in the phones BT settings

This is what ultimately fixed it for me! I have a new 2023 Y and tried unpairing on both sides but could never get Audible app to play books in Tesla. Finally I went to audio sources and disabled the ones I don’t use like tidal, Apple Music, etc, then instantly it worked! Thanks!