TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can't pull log files

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by Aspirant, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Aspirant

Aspirant Member

I swear I'm following the instructions, but it goes wrong from the start: When I insert the drive into the USB port nothing happens. The drive's light comes on (but does not flash or flicker) and the Touch Screen does nothing. What gives? I've tried three flash drives now, from 256MB to 2GB, all with the root VehicleLogs folder pre-created.

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Try a different stick.

In particular, try a smaller one. No doubt the version of embedded Linux running in the Roadster is older than the huge sticks that are currently available. It might not understand them.

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I thought that step happened around 2GB. You'd think he would have had it covered with a 256MB stick.

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I had a similar problem and the ranger had to "reboot" the system by disconnecting the wiring harness to the ECU.

Note you also need to be patient as it can take 15 to 20 minutes.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Oh, right, misread that.

Interesting.

I don't remember the details now, but I encountered a firmware glitch early on with my Roadster (fixed shortly thereafter), and the recommended way to "reset" things was to rapidly open and close the charge port door half a dozen times. Probably has nothing to do with it, but can't hurt to try it.

Yes, but you will get a message on the touch screen within 15 seconds, telling you not to remove the stick. If you don't see the warning, it's not downloading.

6. donauker

donauker Member

I had this same problem with mine.

7. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

you're not charging while you're trying to do this, are you?

8. Timothy

Timothy Driving on Sunshine

Good question because that was the first way I tried it. Can't be charging. And the key has to be in the 'accessory' position!

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yes, it can't be charging.

No, you don't have to put the key in the accessory position. I pull logs regularly and I've never put the key in the ignition while doing it.

10. Timothy

Timothy Driving on Sunshine

Huh! Must have just been key on the one time I tried it and I wrongly assumed it was necessary!

11. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

From what is said in the instructions, there needs to be a folder on the drive named VehicleLogs. It then should be able to pull the logs from the car when the switch is off and it isn't charging.

12. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I also couldn't get my logs pulled using a 2GB usb stick, I had an 8GB and tried that... it worked instantly.

13. strider

strider Active Member

+1 Did you create the folder? I've always done it w/ car completely off, key not inserted. Just open the passenger door (easier to reach from that side for me), insert thumb drive, wait.

14. Aspirant

Aspirant Member

No, car isn't charging. Yes, VehicleLogs folder exists.

Best theory I'm hearing so far is that the wiring harness to the ECU needs to be disconnected and reconnected. What are the chances of doing that myself?

15. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

I think that would only be if VMS had hung. If it is running, then rangers can reset it.

I was told it is possible, but the cables are big and easy to damage. Tesla made a special tool for rangers to use, to avoid breaking things.

16. Aspirant

Aspirant Member

Solved: I stopped by the office today and created a VehicleLogs folder on the drive using a Windows PC. For some reason the Roadster didn't like the folder being created by my Mac.

17. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

Other possible causes from what I have heard:
    a) If the USB stick has a large number of other files in other folders, or deep sub-folders hierarchy, or many files in the root folder ... it may also cause issues.
    b) I heard one report that a "CHKDSK /F" on the USB stick solved someone's difficulty (no other apparent cause(s)). (The stick had been working for several times, but then seemed to have "given up the ghost".)

18. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Interesting enough I can't pull my logs now. I'm using the original 8GB memory stick that worked before, the same VehicleLogs directory that worked before is there. I moved the VIN# directory up one. Tried other (500MB to 2GB) memory sticks an nogo. Also formated the filesystem to FAT32 on a windows system.

Possibly I need to reset the ECU? Is that a pain or should I take that into Telsa to have reset.

Only thing I can see that may have confused the system was that I used the USB diagnostics port to charge my Ipod once. That shouldn't have been an issue.

19. mgemmell

mgemmell Scottish chap

Sounds like a reset is needed and that's a Tesla tech job I'm afraid.

20. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Thanks for reconfirming. I also tried opening/closing the charge port door to induce a reset, no luck. Wish there was a reset feature in the VMS menu.