Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't remove car from account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've sold my car to a dealer and wanted to remove it from my Tesla account to prevent them/the new owners supercahrging at my expense. There is an option in my account to remove the car but this results in an error when clicking on teh removal link in their email.
Has anyone tried to do this and did it work?

The customer support email bounced so I've raised the issue via their "contact us" but haven't had a reply yet so have just removed my credit card from the account in the meantime.

If not already done do, I would remove payment method whilst its being sorted.

The customer support email bounced so I've raised the issue via their "contact us" but haven't had a reply yet so have just removed my credit card from the account in the meantime.

There seem to be several email addresses for this floating around. There is a sticky for contact info which has several directly or indirectly under the account support link in Mr Misérables post.

If not already done do, I would remove payment method whilst its being sorted.

There seem to be several email addresses for this floating around. There is a sticky for contact info which has several directly or indirectly under the account support link in Mr Misérables post.
Yeah I've had a search and could only find issues with the time taken to remove the cars rather than the process itself. I checked the sticky and it only appears to have sales/delivery and local service contact details although maybe I'll fire one off to each of these and see if someone points me in the right direction :D

Definitely remove payment option.

I told Tesla in August I had sold my car, following their process. I still have access to it now..

The new owner has charged it on a few occasions, resulting in this:

Supercharger Payment Needed
We noticed your Tesla Account doesn’t have a valid Supercharger payment method on file.
Current Session Due £13.78
South Mimms, UK
2020-10-01 at 11:10
Supercharging
53.000 kWh at £0.26 kWh
£13.78
Idle
0 min. idle at £0.35/min.
0 min. idle at £0.70/min.
£0.00

I'm glad I removed it the day I sold it, that's for sure..

Reactions: Daverh and M3noob
If not already, info on how to remove car here Tesla Account Support and email [email protected]

It's funny that they give two different ways to remove a car. The second is what didn't work and the first sounds like it'll completely erase the car.
I'll try sending a mail to that address though and see what they come back with

How do I remove a product from my Tesla Account?
To remove a vehicle from your Tesla Account, contact us with the email address on file to submit your request. You will be notified by email once the removal process is complete.

I just sold my Tesla. How do I remove the old car from my Tesla Account?
You can remove the old car using your Tesla Account and your associated email address. Once your car is removed, you will no longer be the associated owner. However, Supercharging history will remain in your account.

To get started, log into your Tesla Account, and follow these steps:
Find the car you’re removing, click ‘Manage.’
Click ‘View Details.’
Scroll down to ‘Remove this car from your account’ and click 'Get Started.'
Follow the steps on your screen.
Once completed, Tesla will send an email confirmation asking you to confirm the removal. This is a required step. Once confirmed, the vehicle will be officially removed from your account.

I emailed my SC (Dartford) and they removed the car the same day. The new owner emailed the V5 and whatever else was needed about 3 days later and the car was in his account within a day or so.