Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't remove Tesla charger at mall charging (not supercharger)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to the mall and parked at the Tesla charging station (not supercharger). The charger was broken but the sign had fallen into the bushes so I didn't notice before plugging in. The light on the charge port turned blue and I couldn't release the charger. I talked to Tesla for over an hour and they had me try several tricks and none worked. Much to my surprise they have NO technicians they could send out to help remove the charger. They got me an Uber to take me home and said it would be Monday before someone could look at my car (today is Saturday). Mall security says I can't leave the car overnight but I have no options.

I am very surprised by the lack of technicians working on the weekend. They offered to get me a rental car. What a pain! The person on the phone was really nice but what a terrible service experience to have to wait until Monday to get someone to look at my car. My concern is leaving my car and having someone mess with it (not in the best area).

Has anyone experienced similar? Very disappointed in Tesla.

You wanted a technician who knows how to take apart a charger who also works on weekends on-call?

I think Tesla's response was reasonable. It'd be nice if they had such "weekend on-call charger technicians", but I'm not going to hold it against them that they don't. Now, if there was a plague of people having chargers refuse to disconnect and they failed to fix the problem, I would.... One-off incidents are one thing, but they need to make sure that this doesn't happen again, whether it's a QC problem, design fault, or whatnot.

• Disagree
Reactions: X Fan and techmaven
Really? So if you ever get stuck at a charging station for any reason and there's no tech to help you, you're ok with that? I'm not talking late hours. I'm talking 3:00 pm on Saturday.

They got you an Uber and a rental, and plan to fix the problem first thing on the next working day. I see no problem with this. Except I'd have insisted on a regular taxi or Lyft, as Uber is run by scumbags ;)

I assume you tried all the normal unlock mechanisms, including using the key fob and the unlock port button on the 17" screen.

My recollection is that there is a manual lever to unlock the port that is accessible from inside the car. You have to pull away the carpet to expose the back side of the charge port.

I assume you tried all the normal unlock mechanisms, including using the key fob and the unlock port button on the 17" screen.

My recollection is that there is a manual lever to unlock the port that is accessible from inside the car. You have to pull away the carpet to expose the back side of the charge port.

Tried everything except the manual lever. Tesla support didn't advise me to do that.
They got you an Uber and a rental, and plan to fix the problem first thing on the next working day. I see no problem with this. Except I'd have insisted on a regular taxi or Lyft, as Uber is run by scumbags ;)

True, I don't like Uber. Lol
I think the service on the phone was great but to not have techs seems like a problem. I can't believe I'm the only one with issues on weekends. The mall gave me a really hard time leaving my car overnight when I informed them. I just hate that it's not in the best area of town.

Reactions: KarenRei
Hubby's had 2 occasions I think where the charger or port was stuck. Once was at a ChargePoint unit at his work (that turned out to be due an intermittent defective port that they replaced, first time ever charging too--and in that case he couldn't put the charger in because it had a red ring) and the other was using our UMC at home where he couldn't get it to unlock. I know he was on with Tesla for a while both times. I'll ask him what eventually worked and check back in here. The time at home was just recently and that was using a Tesla connector. Do understand the panic feeling of not being able to get it to release and having your car left behind for service later though. Hope your car is okay.

Last edited:
Reactions: ModelX and 1ton
Tesla doesn't have any destination charging technicians to send out, weekend or no weekend. The HPWCs are supplied by Tesla but they're owned by the destination (hotel, etc.), and installed by an electrical contractor that the destination arranged. Service would likewise need to be performed by that electrical contractor. Tesla isn't responsible for it. This is not a supercharger.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Tesla doesn't have any destination charging technicians to send out, weekend or no weekend. The HPWCs are supplied by Tesla but they're owned by the destination (hotel, etc.), and installed by an electrical contractor that the destination arranged. Service would likewise need to be performed by that electrical contractor. Tesla isn't responsible for it. This is not a supercharger.

My understanding which might be incorrect is this is the locking mechanism of the car. Where it really wouldn't matter what's plugged in.

Where the only one that can fix it is a Tesla technician. I imagine they'll use the mechanical release, and then they'll see if something is wrong with the locking mechanism.

Went to the mall and parked at the Tesla charging station (not supercharger). The charger was broken but the sign had fallen into the bushes so I didn't notice before plugging in. The light on the charge port turned blue and I couldn't release the charger. I talked to Tesla for over an hour and they had me try several tricks and none worked. Much to my surprise they have NO technicians they could send out to help remove the charger. They got me an Uber to take me home and said it would be Monday before someone could look at my car (today is Saturday). Mall security says I can't leave the car overnight but I have no options.

I am very surprised by the lack of technicians working on the weekend. They offered to get me a rental car. What a pain! The person on the phone was really nice but what a terrible service experience to have to wait until Monday to get someone to look at my car. My concern is leaving my car and having someone mess with it (not in the best area).

Has anyone experienced similar? Very disappointed in Tesla.

Spoke with hubby about his recent unlocking incident (mentioned in thread) and he said in his case it turned out that the car itself was locked at the time when he tried to remove the charger. He had approached the car when he went out to the driveway and was standing outside of it when he tried to release the charger by pressing the button on it. Also tried the button on the phone and the trunk lock on his fob. He thinks he remembers the display screen inside the car didn't display the usual unlock charger button at the time. Any chance this was your situation?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1ton