Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't roll windows down or open sunroof on key fob or app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Years ago you could hold down a button on the fob to roll windows down. It was really nice. Then some people complained about it accidentally rolling down the windows and Tesla removed that feature. They should have made it double-click and hold the 2nd click, that would have prevented false positives.

That feature is great if your car can't run the a/c without you there, but really when my car internal temp is 104° I just run the a/c for 5 min from the app, maybe vent the roof, and it's cool when I get in. No need to open the windows from 20 feet away with the key fob like I could with my prior ice car.

Get Remote S program, hit "turn max cool on" four or five minutes before you expect to get in your car. Even my black Model S with Pano roof is cool when I step in--and this is in Houston's brutally hot summer. Far better than opening windows and sunroof, which was what my Lexus did to cool off.

Get Remote S program, hit "turn max cool on" four or five minutes before you expect to get in your car. Even my black Model S with Pano roof is cool when I step in--and this is in Houston's brutally hot summer. Far better than opening windows and sunroof, which was what my Lexus did to cool off.

What is "Remote S program"? Is that an app?

Oh...I'm outta luck on that one, I'm an Android guy.
I'm a software engineer in the industry and in the indie scene for even longer, I've spent the last 2 months creating a better-than-official Tesla app for android while waiting for my Model S to arrive (which it did last week :)), would you care to be a BETA tester for me alongside myself?

It does everything the official app does, but does it better and without any of the silly restrictions. The official app, no offense to Tesla (love you guys), but it is noticeably poorly written and looks out-sourced (Baidu??). I could go into details but I digress.

td_home1.jpg

More screenshots here:
Dropbox - Tesla Dashboard (BETA)

I'd love to get some more eyes and users on it, let me know :)

Reactions: Canuck
I'm a software engineer in the industry and in the indie scene for even longer, I've spent the last 2 months creating a better-than-official Tesla app for android while waiting for my Model S to arrive (which it did last week :)), would you care to be a BETA tester for me alongside myself?

It does everything the official app does, but does it better and without any of the silly restrictions. The official app, no offense to Tesla (love you guys), but it is noticeably poorly written and looks out-sourced (Baidu??). I could go into details but I digress.

td_home1.jpg

More screenshots here:

Eventually would you make an iphone X app?

Eventually would you make an iphone X app?
Given enough positive feedback and support, yes. Do you feel the the iOS market has a need for it?

As an Android user myself, design & development is fast and easy when I'm my own worst critic. I have a lot in mind I plan to accomplish the official app simply doesn't do. I'm limited by the API responses I find on the web, I really need a Model X as a BETA tester at some point.

td_home1.jpg

More screenshots here:

Are there functions that are on your app that are not on Tesla's Android app currently? Also, what restrictions would removed?

Thanks.

Are there functions that are on your app that are not on Tesla's Android app currently? Also, what restrictions would removed?

Thanks.
Currently, I'm close to having all of the official app replaced. Remaining is the telemetry for the location fragment and summon / home link control, after that I will be retiring the official app from my phone.

There already are and will be more functions and information listing in my app that the official doesn't support, to name a few would be:

* Access Token Login - don't have to use your My Tesla password to login
* Demo Mode - operate on a virtual Tesla without having to own one, or while yours isn't available yet
* Option Code Details - see all the option codes for your Tesla and their descriptions
* Advanced Logging - store all received data states and telemetry chronologically in a local database with a remote sync (Dropbox for now)

And some more ideas I have documented over the past 2 months as considerations.
I'm open to suggestions as well, I benefit from these features just as much as everyone else does so really I'm all ears.

The restrictions the official app have that mine certainly don't is the panoramic roof move command being limited to closed and vented, the set temperature command being limited to setting both driver and passenger temps the same, not displaying some useful information around climate, charging and driving. Not to mention the official app is unreasonably crazy with its network traffic, the data usage is noticeably less with my app.

Any chance your app allows opening the windows of the vehicle?
Sadly no, that feature isn't exposed through the API, I believe it was through the keyfob then later disabled. It should be exposed through the API honestly, an accidental click of the keyfob is different than accidentally clicking crap on your phone in the app. If version 2 of the API exposes it, be sure I'll be adding features to make use of the new abilities.

If you're looking for testers, I'd be happy to give it a try.
Great! I'll get a build together and setup BETA testing through the Google Play store. I'll send you a private message when ready with instructions.

Sounds good. Just so we're clear, I have zero technical skill. I just like playing with new toys and have the ability to tell you when something doesn't work.