Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #34 is available now with topics timestamped. We covered Tesla's rollercoaster prices, Toyota pushing junk science, Mike's new Model 3, Optimizing track mode for snow driving, FSD V11 apparently coming by the end of this week, and more. You can watch and check out the chat replay on YouTube.

Can't select 32A charging? Limited to 16A [max charging speed in UK on L2?]

I have a model 3 I got in Feb this year. (UK) And I've noticed that on any '22kw' charger Such as the ones at BP pulse or MER here in England, I can only ever get 12kw and my app shows 16A as the max charging speed.

Screenshot_20220407-180333_Tesla.jpg

I can charge faster with CCS DC fast chargers where I get the full 50kw, and superchargers of course. But on the type 2 chargers I'm limited to 12kw.

Is this normal, should I be able to select 32A on standard type 2 chargers?

Any other UK M3 owners able to advise?

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
thats likely because its 3 phase power. You can see its 12kW, which is the max speed for L2 charging on a model 3.

for UK :

Wall connector UK charging speeds.PNG

wtf is that 230V 3-phase delta? AFAIK all LV 3-phase here is 400V r.m.s. phase-to-phase. I'm assuming it's some hangover from the American spec - the 3 phase practices there seem far less standardised - and in some cases very weird indeed (to our eyes, at least). Just google "high leg delta" and let your brain explode....

EDIT: And anyway, I always thought wye and delta were characteristics of how you connect a load, not characteristics of the supply itself?

Last edited:

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC