Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't Send Text With Voice Commands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting to run across this threadā€¦Iā€™ve had, on occasion, the issue where the system has been unable to reach the cloud to do processing, but itā€™s always resolved itself, given time or forward motion (different cell tower?).

The challenge I have, perhaps due to a middle American accent, is that my car canā€™t tell the difference between ā€˜text Aaronā€™ and ā€˜text Erinā€™. I have several friends who bear the name Aaron, but even scrolling through that list when I can spare the attention to look at the screen, my frien Erin , who I text frequently, never shows up on the list.

I assume Iā€™m doing something wrong, but Iā€™m not sure what it is. For now, Iā€™ve created a duplicate entry using a different, and unique name, but would be fascinated by any suggestions as to how to fix this conundrum in an appropriate manner.

Thanks in advance!

slightly related. i can't respond by voice to any texts from my wife. it works for everybody else. no idea why.

It's because you have an Apple ID email address associated with her contact card, so when you respond, your phone is sending a message to her email address, not her phone number. Bluetooth texting only works for phone numbers.

I had to uncheck the option to respond using my Apple ID email address in messages settings, and further, delete the email address in the contact card, for contacts that I could never get voice command text messaging to work with in the car.