Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't Send Text With Voice Commands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

McQ14

Nov 7, 2018
PA
I'm sure this has to do with my new iPhone 12, but I can't figure out how to fix this issue.

I am unable to send text messages from my Model 3, using voice commands. The phone is connected, it can play music fine through the car and make phone calls, but when I try to send a text I get the message shown, below:

My Tesla app works fine with my phone, and I can't think of a reason it will give me this message. The frustrating part is that I can't expand the message to see all of it. It doesn't matter who I try to text, it won't work regardless.

Both my phone and Tesla are absolutely updated with the most recent software, by the way.

Any ideas? Anyone else running into this?

I am having the same issue on my M3.
iPhone X, and iOS 14.2. Not sure if it was happening on 14.1 as well but I cannot send any texts. tried everything so far.
Must be a compatibility issue between iOS 14.1/2 and Tesla Software

I'm surprised more people haven't experienced this. I'm sure it'll get sorted out eventually but it's certainly unexpected and unusual.

I've a different issue (Iphone X, same issue with both ios 13 and 14)- I can receive texts most of the time (it does miss one once in a while) but when I try to reply it 100% acts like it worked, but 1/2-2/3rds of the time no text is actually sent back.... initiating a text (ie not as a reply) seems to also have a high failure rate- though again it ACTS like it worked, just when I check the phone no text was sent.

I've a different issue (Iphone X, same issue with both ios 13 and 14)- I can receive texts most of the time (it does miss one once in a while) but when I try to reply it 100% acts like it worked, but 1/2-2/3rds of the time no text is actually sent back.... initiating a text (ie not as a reply) seems to also have a high failure rate- though again it ACTS like it worked, just when I check the phone no text was sent.

Yeah, that's similar, and also kind of strange. I wonder where the disconnect is in this issue?

I have the same issue - iPhone 12 Pro, Model 3 is current with software.

It works if i repair the device for that trip only. Then any other time I enter the vehicle I can't reply to messages. I can send new and that's it.

FWIW mine has "improved" since I last reported.

Now replies tell you they failed to send- which has been at a rate of about 100% when my wife texts me.

So, at least you're told it didn't work now....(not why or anything, which might actually be useful... but hey... PROGRESS!)

• Funny
Reactions: MXLRplus
Thank you very much. Will give it a shot next time I use the car. We couldn't get any music commands to work, but apparently you need to do it in steps, like 'open music', or 'play' first, then I guess will ask for which source to play, and so on.

Some may be unaware that messaging must be enabled in the Bluetooth settings in order to receive and reply text messages. I have also found that after updates this feature sometimes gets turned off. You get to the Bluetooth menu by tapping the Bluetooth symbol on the screen.
I've got everything set up, set up the Bluetooth notification settings on my iPhone under the bluetooth options, everything. Just doesn't work.