Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't Set Trunk Door Height...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I follow the instructions for setting the trunk door height, but it just continues to go full height - which I can't have it do in the garage. This means that the only door I can open in the garage is the driver's door, and if it ever rains (this is California after all) it means getting stuff in and out of the back will be wet...

Go to your "doors" control screen and see if you have a popup that says "Always open doors fully at this location" in grey with a little x in the corner. If it does hit the little "x" in the box to shut it off. Then set rear door.

modelx-door-open-update-graphic_0.jpg

I follow the instructions for setting the trunk door height, but it just continues to go full height - which I can't have it do in the garage. This means that the only door I can open in the garage is the driver's door, and if it ever rains (this is California after all) it means getting stuff in and out of the back will be wet...

During my delivery, the DS said that the X doesn't have a way to program the trunk door height like the S does. I was initially worried about the trunk hitting things in the garage, but with the current software version the sensors seem to work well enough that the trunk always stops part way up before it hits anything. The first few times I made sure to stand near the trunk while it opened and pay very close attention to it, so that I could stop it with my hand before it ran into anything, but now I don't worry about it.

My trunk opens very conservely in my garage, and when I push it up further and hold the trunk button until it beeps, it's supposed to use that height as the new setting at that GPS location.

However, every time I open the trunk, it ignores the new height and always opens very conservatively. I can't figure out how to get it to open higher. Maybe GPS signal in the garage is not available, so it ignores my higher setting?

My trunk opens very conservely in my garage, and when I push it up further and hold the trunk button until it beeps, it's supposed to use that height as the new setting at that GPS location.

However, every time I open the trunk, it ignores the new height and always opens very conservatively. I can't figure out how to get it to open higher. Maybe GPS signal in the garage is not available, so it ignores my higher setting?
See my previous post and reverse the steps. Open the gull wing doors and trunk to max with your hand. Then press "Always open fully at this location" on the door screen. (see photo in previous post)

See my previous post and reverse the steps. Open the gull wing doors and trunk to max with your hand. Then press "Always open fully at this location" on the door screen. (see photo in previous post)
Thanks @Hitman007. However, I don't want to fully open the fwd and trunk in my garage. The fwd doors open more than enough. I only want my trunk to open another foot.

I'll give your method a try later this morning to see if it remembers the forced position (not fully opened).

I have mine programmed to stop at a certain height. It is not sensor or location based for the trunk. When I just got the car, I opened the door in the garage, stopped it with my hand to where I wanted it and then held the open/close button on the door down until it beeped. Never has opened any further since. I really wish it were per location because I would like it to open all the way in other locations, especially since you kind of have to wait until it opens to its set point before you can further push it open.

Reactions: NathanWolf
Thanks @Hitman007. However, I don't want to fully open the fwd and trunk in my garage. The fwd doors open more than enough. I only want my trunk to open another foot.

I'll give your method a try later this morning to see if it remembers the forced position (not fully opened).
@Hitman007, I didn't see the "always open fully" button on my screen. Mind you, I didn't open the trunk/fwd completely, just more than the initial opening. Regardless, holding down the trunk button until it beeps is *supposed* to save that setting at that GPS location, which it is not.

The manually actually says, "1. Open the liftgate, then manually lower it to the desired opening height. 2.
Press and hold the button on the underside of the liftgate for two seconds until you hear a con rmation chime."

Maybe it currently only saves position when it's lowered (not raised). I will try this experiment again by raising it past my desired location, then lowering it before trying to save it (can I outsmart a Tesla?).

I have mine programmed to stop at a certain height. It is not sensor or location based for the trunk. When I just got the car, I opened the door in the garage, stopped it with my hand to where I wanted it and then held the open/close button on the door down until it beeped. Never has opened any further since. I really wish it were per location because I would like it to open all the way in other locations, especially since you kind of have to wait until it opens to its set point before you can further push it open.
You are correct, it use to work like this during older firmware. I believe it was changed to sensor base after firmware 2.32.60.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
@Hitman007, I didn't see the "always open fully" button on my screen. Mind you, I didn't open the trunk/fwd completely, just more than the initial opening. Regardless, holding down the trunk button until it beeps is *supposed* to save that setting at that GPS location, which it is not.

The manually actually says, "1. Open the liftgate, then manually lower it to the desired opening height. 2.
Press and hold the button on the underside of the liftgate for two seconds until you hear a con rmation chime."

Maybe it currently only saves position when it's lowered (not raised). I will try this experiment again by raising it past my desired location, then lowering it before trying to save it (can I outsmart a Tesla?).
Nope, I can't trick the trunk to open at a new setting based on GPS co-ordinates. I think you can program to set it to open lower than what it deems safe, but not higher.

Thanks for all the advise.

Found out the problem while I was at the factory on Sunday (hitting the Super Chargers and the store). The lifters need to be fixed (possibly tightened). The rep at the factory tried my X then we tried one of theirs, and mine was more aggressively opening - and not holding at any point other than full.

Now I need to set up a time to visit the SC (and buy some touch up paint...)

• Disagree
Reactions: Scmbug
I just found this thread and might have discovered something interesting. Have had my Model X for a bit over a month now and while the rear hatch stops before hitting the garage door more than 90% of the time, 10% it still slams into the piece of foam that i have taped over the metal hinge (unfortunately, the first time there was no such foam, but only a minor paint chip resulted)! It's been frustrating as I never know when the sensor is not going to work.

BUT, i think i might have isolate it. For me, the sensor seems to not work and the hatch hits my foam covered garage door hinge 100% of the time when I open it with Model X is still plugged in to the wall (I use the Tesla wall port). If the X is unplugged, the sensor seems to always work and the hatch stops before touching the garage door. Can anyone correlate this with your experience?

Mine worked until it didn't. Now I have an awesome set of deep scratches from it hitting the garage door hinge bolt! Do yourself a favor and put duck tape on your garage where the trunk would hit if it ignores the setting. View attachment 194437
More new scratches because trunk wants to open randomly at full HEIGHT at the same location(garage)! Can we get a rocket scientist on the job please! If you can't make it work don't make it automatic. $150,000.00 scratched up POS!

Is it true we can’t reset the trunk height? Mine was too low, I have to manually lift it up . Bumped my head a few times... I tried manually lift it up to the wanted height and hold and button until hear the chime then close it. When I reopened it, it still the the same height...

Hi Hwood,

If you park your X with the trunk lid in the garage door boundaries
and open the trunk, it will not hit the garage door.
If you try to set it to hit the garage door - it will not hit the door.
When you pull the car forward it will open to the same height
even though you are no longer in the door boundaries,
you cannot set it any higher...

Leave the garage a few GPS increments and you will be able to
open the trunk and set it as you wish...

This is what mine does after 2 years of fiddling with it...

Good luck,

Shawn