Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't sign into YouTube - Plex fix not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this issue last week. However, I haven't logged into any infotainment services up until that point (picked up car on 12/30). When I tried to log into youtube with my own account I got the current error that the browser isn't secure or something. I browsed to the plex.tv site, used my google account to log in successfully, then loaded up YouTube and saw it was logged into my account. Also browsed to gmail.com and it opened my emails for that account automatically.

The only thing different from others here is that nothing was ever logged in using my google account to start with until I logged into plex.tv (never used plex.tv before either). Is there a clear cache or log out of all accounts option - then try to login again?

I have a new car also, never logged in to any account, and still cant get it to work. So thats not the problem. I've had 1 update on SW since i picked it up on the 23:rd of Dec, the so called xmas update, but i didn't try to log in on the old version. It seems like folks with older cars, that logged in during an older version SW, still get it to work on the updates, but new cars cant get it working.

Reactions: westie10019
Having the same issue with login. Would really like to be able to sign into youtube since there is also a shortcut to youtube TV in the app. I feel a lot of errands being run while football is being played hahaha. Need to watch the playoffs while waiting. I'm afraid to reboot the system anymore as the last few times a software update was pushed and the system rebooted (updating games issue) it lost all our profiles and settings and navigation software. It took all day yesterday to get it back. PITA

Reactions: westie10019
I can chime in as I had the same issue with login on my 2021 M3LR. I had to:

1) Turn off MFA in my Google account temporarily
2) Log in to Plex with Google login (it helps to already have an account set up before hand, the web browser is garbage on the M3)
3) Open YT and it should have you logged in already
4) Turn back on MFA (for the love of all things holy, you're protecting your account with MFA, right?!)

Hopefully those steps help, though I admit I'm going off memory here as I did them a week or so ago.

I can chime in as I had the same issue with login on my 2021 M3LR. I had to:

2) Log in to Plex with Google login (it helps to already have an account set up before hand, the web browser is garbage on the M3)
4) Turn back on MFA (for the love of all things holy, you're protecting your account with MFA, right?!)

Hopefully those steps help, though I admit I'm going off memory here as I did them a week or so ago.
This is what I expected was necessary. There were some details in the MFA docs about how it's more strict with login safety, so I assumed this would be necessary.

Once you have MFA disabled, there is also the option of "allow less secure apps" which may also let you get in.

But in both cases, I'd disable the less secure and enable MFA when you are done. Haven't tried either myself, just going to wait for Tesla to update it's browser.

I tried Plex previously but it wouldn't work for me. I tried Dropbox this morning and it worked fine. I didn't even need to turn off two-factor authentication. I was sent a notification on my phone, confirmed it and then was logged into Dropbox. Nice to finally be logged into Youtube. :)

login on my 2021 M3LR. I had to:
For those of us not millennials, what the heck is 'MFA'? And also, what's 'dropbox'? And which is better for us 'non-techy' guys? Ha ha. Thanks. At least I do have a google account (gmail), which automatically logs me in to YT on my computer :). And could log into Netflix, so at least I'm better than my parents :). And no, my 2 daughters don't live with us anymore, or I wouldn't have to ask. Lol.

Looks like it still doesn't work for me. I think it's because my MFA is configured to use a USB key by default, and then fallback to the phone prompt.

The dialog for the fallback option never appears in the car browser, it just spins forever trying to locate the hardware key.

Tesla doesn't have to support hardware 2FA, but would be nice if they had a browser that worked.

My guess is that they forked Chrome and modified it for their purposes, but haven't kept up to date with the upstream changes. Now they have to reconcile with master and there is too much to fix for it to be a simple task. Or maybe they built functionality on features that are now deprecated.

Hope this gets fixed soon. I don't use the browser much, but it's irritating to have so many half-baked, poorly-maintained features in this car.

Others include:
- erratic windshield wipers
- mobile app weirdness
- very unreliable sentry and teslacam

For those of us not millennials, what the heck is 'MFA'? And also, what's 'dropbox'? And which is better for us 'non-techy' guys? Ha ha. Thanks. At least I do have a google account (gmail), which automatically logs me in to YT on my computer :). And could log into Netflix, so at least I'm better than my parents :). And no, my 2 daughters don't live with us anymore, or I wouldn't have to ask. Lol.

You know enough to ask the question, so you’re doing all right in my book. :)

MFA = Multi Factor Authentication. Basically, if you have MFA enabled for your google account and you try to log into google from a new device, google will require your password and something else. This is usually a text/call to your phone to verify your identity.

The idea here is that to prove you are you, you need to provide something you know (your password) and something you have (say, access to your phone)...multi-factor authentication.

So, back to the M3 YT issue. I don’t completely understand why, but for “reasons”, you can’t always log directly into the YT app in your M3 like you can on your computer. So you have to authenticate through the M3 web browser instead. Websites like Plex and Dropbox (and a few others) use google authentication, so logging into those websites (with your google login/password) should get your YT app to log you in automatically.

Sometimes this back door doesn’t work (again, for “reasons”). So @variable is saying if you turn off MFA on your google account (just temporarily, make sure you have this on if you care about your google account) then go to Plex/Dropbox, then it should work.

Long story short...if you can’t log into your M3 YT app, try going to your M3 browser and logging into Plex or Dropbox. If it still doesn’t work, try doing what @variable said (I haven’t tried it but it makes sense in my head). Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: dgb62
same issue here, haven't tried the workaround. car is 2 weeks old---I have a service appt tomorrow to have my MCU replaced (keeps rebooting while driving). I'll ask them about this (not optimistic that they will be able to help though).