Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't start heating from the app while charging at a CHAdeMO when at low range!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My dear Californian car is silver must be blond in the inside because there are a few things she doesn't understand very well, especially about Winter. It's my 6th Winter with the car, so I'm used to it, but there are some new strange behaviors (at least to me) that must result from recent updates.

Yesterday, I was travelling 260 km in the cold (-13°C or 9°F), I started on a full charged (384 km) and "tried" cruising at 118 km/h. At he begging, the car was predicting an arrival at 5%, and on the Energy graph, I was following the predicted trend. So for a while, I was relying on the 5% prediction at the bottom of the trip steps. But at some point, half-way through the trip, I checked the Energy graph again, and the actual consumption had started to depart from the planned battery usage (grey line). That's OK, conditions change, maybe a little extra head wind or something. The problem is that the car was still predicting the 5% battery level for the end of the trip, with a clear discontinuity in the slope of the predicted battery usage (sorry, no picture), translating into a consumption that clearly could not be achieved unless slowing down to like half-speed. During all that time, the car was telling me to drive below 120 km/h to reach destination, which I did since the beginning. I can't tell for sure for last winter, but I clearly remember the years before that, that the car would have rather predicted a negative number of the charge at arrival. It looks like there is some strange hard-coded condition to aim at 5% no matter what, which I find worrying. AFAIC, this is a bug, not a feature.

So I had to charge with no supercharger close enough (unless going back), so I stopped at a CHAdeMO about 30 km before destination, just to get a the few km I needed. I arrived there with 20 km range left, so obviously, the car had been begging to find a charging location for a while, that despite that the new destination was a CHAdeMO already visited by other Teslas, according to PlugShare. So I stopped next to the plug, and by the time I had everything connected and going on, the car put itself in deep sleep to save energy. While receiving 40 kW from the CHAdeMO. As I needed only ~60 km of range, twice what I needed to reach my destination, while I was in the nearby business, I tried to start the interior heating from the app. Request denied: no heating because the car charge is only at 43 km of range! Well, maybe, but you are plugged in a 40-kW plug, darling, couldn't you use 1 or 2 to heat the car!? Another bug, AFAIC.

Can't tell if it's a new behavior or if it was like that before, but I can't remember seeing that with the superchargers. Later that day, as I was aiming at a Supercharger with again 20 km of range left. This time the car was not begging to identify a charging place ASAP. Once there, I should have tested starting heating the car from the app while in low charge state, but I forgot.

All that to say that this is another example of what happens when a car is designed in California, including recent software. As many of us, I wish we could select previous versions, although I enjoy being able to use Spotify directly.

Last edited:
With all the little issues I have with this car, I must say, being able to turn on the cabin heat (on an already warm car) with a battery at 10% SOC is probably at the bottom of my list.

Put on your toque and don't worry about it!

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA