Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't start the Tesla with the phone, only with the card key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
12/10/2021- Can't start the Tesla with the phone, only with the card key

1. Bootstrap'ed both my Galaxy phone and my Tesla model 3
  2. Both phone and car are well charged
  3. Weather is nice and warm
  4. Bluetooth on both sides function well, and the two are paired correctly
    I even "forgot" my device and re-paired/connected them
  5. I made a call from the Tesla as it routed through my phone (using Bluetooth=OK), it went through
  6. My wife's other Galaxy phone connects well. No problems.
  7. In the meantime I drive with my key card
  8. Tesla screen shows connection OK, but wouldn't shift into drive
1639175399658.png

1. Bluetooth screen on my phone/setting shows that the Tesla is connected
  2. 1639175399682.png

1. Tesla Bluetooth on my phone shows My Galaxy phone is connected to the Tesla
1639175399704.png

1. What is the meaning of "connected for calls and audio"? What about connected to the CAR?
  2. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

As I described in my 12/10/21 post, I couldn't get access nor could I start driving with my Galaxy phone. Although the Bluetooth pairing was OK, the access permission "disappeared" after updating the mobile app on my phone.

Well, following the downloading and installing the recent software version in the Tesla M3 (2021.44.30.7), and without additional steps, all of a sudden, all is back to normal. I understand a thing or two about software, but I cannot explain this.
Anyhow, all's well.

Miracles do happen!

As I described in my 12/10/21 post, I couldn't get access nor could I start driving with my Galaxy phone. Although the Bluetooth pairing was OK, the access permission "disappeared" after updating the mobile app on my phone.

Well, following the downloading and installing the recent software version in the Tesla M3 (2021.44.30.7), and without additional steps, all of a sudden, all is back to normal. I understand a thing or two about software, but I cannot explain this.
Anyhow, all's well.

Miracles do happen!
Some of the Tesla software is a bit non-intuitive, to say the least. I was a programmer for about 25 years, and excelled at debugging, so I always figure it out, but it's not easy because the programmers for Tesla don't seem to care much about using the software, only the AI underpinning (my thoughts only).

One thing I learned about the locks (phones and cards) is sometimes you need to go in and delete old ones or it will add duplicates, and then you don't know which one is being used.

If you haven't figured it out yet, adding your phone on bluetooth settings is like putting it in the list of possible devices. You can then use the car like a giant bluetooth headset. But to use it for locking/unlocking, you need to go to the locks menu and add a phone from the list of paired phones, or a new key. You can also associate each key or phone lock with an existing user, but that is also a little non-intuitive. It's easy, but I never remember how to do it, and have to figure it out every time.

Hope you go it fixed (I couldn't). But found workaround: turn mobile start on app. That is what I am doing. By the way, card swipe never is recognized by my Y. ?
You should get that fixed. If the card doesn't work for driving, you will never be able to get a phone to work, because you need to first verify it with the card. In fact, I don't know how you ever enabled the mobile start without a working card. I must be missing something.

Some of the Tesla software is a bit non-intuitive, to say the least. I was a programmer for about 25 years, and excelled at debugging, so I always figure it out, but it's not easy because the programmers for Tesla don't seem to care much about using the software, only the AI underpinning (my thoughts only).

One thing I learned about the locks (phones and cards) is sometimes you need to go in and delete old ones or it will add duplicates, and then you don't know which one is being used.

If you haven't figured it out yet, adding your phone on bluetooth settings is like putting it in the list of possible devices. You can then use the car like a giant bluetooth headset. But to use it for locking/unlocking, you need to go to the locks menu and add a phone from the list of paired phones, or a new key. You can also associate each key or phone lock with an existing user, but that is also a little non-intuitive. It's easy, but I never remember how to do it, and have to figure it out every time.
Right on! thanks for your advice Marty.
And yes, I have done all what you suggest here to no avail.
In any event - as I noted above, now everything works OK, by some magic.
PS.
I worked in a software/hardware company and our chief programmer used to say: "software is like scrambled eggs, every morning it is different". So maybe this was the case here...

Reactions: Marty3SR+
Right on! thanks for your advice Marty.
And yes, I have done all what you suggest here to no avail.
In any event - as I noted above, now everything works OK, by some magic.
PS.
I worked in a software/hardware company and our chief programmer used to say: "software is like scrambled eggs, every morning it is different". So maybe this was the case here...
Surprisingly to a lot of people, I loved debugging software. One common error is using unintialized variables, which gives random results depending on the initial value. It's the sort of thing you learn from experience.

There's really no good excuse for software that is different from one day to another these days. There are automated tests that can test every function, so any change can be checked for introduced errors (regression testing). It's not like Tesla can't afford the software tools to improve their software. They just don't care, or perhaps they're too big.

There was a bug in several versions of the Android app. I tried to report it to see if they knew about it, and it's almost impossible. I finally got through to someone who reported it. I wrote up a report describing exactly what versions had the bug, how to reproduce it, a screenshot of the error message, and even went so far as to install older versions of the software to see where it started. A programmer contacted me asking for information I already provided, plus he wanted me to make a video of the software getting the error. It was ridiculous for this error, and I told him no, I'm just not willing to do all that. He couldn't argue with my logic. It's like they don't want to know.

12/10/2021- Can't start the Tesla with the phone, only with the card key

1. Bootstrap'ed both my Galaxy phone and my Tesla model 3
  2. Both phone and car are well charged
  3. Weather is nice and warm
  4. Bluetooth on both sides function well, and the two are paired correctly
    I even "forgot" my device and re-paired/connected them
  5. I made a call from the Tesla as it routed through my phone (using Bluetooth=OK), it went through
  6. My wife's other Galaxy phone connects well. No problems.
  7. In the meantime I drive with my key card
  8. Tesla screen shows connection OK, but wouldn't shift into drive
View attachment 742905
  1. Bluetooth screen on my phone/setting shows that the Tesla is connected
  2. View attachment 742904

1. Tesla Bluetooth on my phone shows My Galaxy phone is connected to the Tesla
View attachment 742903
  1. What is the meaning of "connected for calls and audio"? What about connected to the CAR?
  2. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
I figured out the problem after reading another website, here is the issue...........................there needs to be two connections to your cellphone (1) for Bluetooth for the functions such are music, streaming, etc. and this will show up on your cellphone as Tesla and the model. (2) is under "Locks" and this is for your key card access features, this connection will show numbers and letters under your cellphones Network - Bluetooth. You need to have the (2) connection in order to resolve the key card issue. So I suggest that you remove old Bluetooth connections from both your cell and vehicle, remove Tesla app, then reload the most current Tesla app and then add your cell as a new key card from the "Locks" menu. Then select the Bluetooth icon on car and add your cellphone.
Hope this helps everyone understand the issue better and how to fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured out the problem after reading another website, here is the issue...........................there needs to be two connections to your cellphone (1) for Bluetooth for the functions such are music, streaming, etc. and this will show up on your cellphone as Tesla and the model. (2) is under "Locks" and this is for your key card access features, this connection will show numbers and letters under your cellphones Network - Bluetooth. You need to have the (2) connection in order to resolve the key card issue. So I suggest that you remove old Bluetooth connections from both your cell and vehicle, remove Tesla app, then reload the most current Tesla app and then add your cell as a new key card from the "Locks" menu. Then select the Bluetooth icon on car and add your cellphone.
Hope this helps everyone understand the issue better and how to fix it.

This is what @Marty3SR+ said in post #6 on January 28th, as well.

And I thought it was only my wife who never listens to me! :)
You also mentioned this briefly before me, but perhaps not with enough detail.
Thank you both Marty3SR and JJrandorin, based on your information along with others it helped me to understand the issue better and I was able to resolve my issue. I just wanted to make it simple for others who may be technically challenged such as myself, to be able to understand how to resolve it.

Thank you both Marty3SR and JJrandorin, based on your information along with others it helped me to understand the issue better and I was able to resolve my issue. I just wanted to make it simple for others who may be technically challenged such as myself, to be able to understand how to resolve it.
I'm glad we were able to help you, and I apologize if I made it sound like I might be upset that you didn't listen to me. I was only kidding around, and I know that sometimes things that are clear to me are not clear to others. My wife is pretty nontechnical, so I have her to remind me of this. And she's an excellent cook, so I sometimes seem a bit dense to her when I cook, I'm sure.

Also, I'm a bit stubborn, so when I get involved with a challenge, I don't like to give up. I worked with computers and electronics for many years, and I don't like to let them win.