Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't start transfer of Tesla ownership for used Model S 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t believe that’s correct. Tesla has to actually own the car before they can remove free supercharging. So if Tesla owned it or if it was bought from Tesla, perhaps in an auction, then you can expect to lose the supercharging. If Tesla never owns the car they cannot remove the lifetime free supercharging no matter how many independent dealerships it goes through.

You shouldn’t be afraid to contact Tesla about change of ownership. If they owned the car, they know so you won’t be telling them anything new. If they didn‘t, own it they cannot remove the lifetime supercharging.

Not only is that not true, but owners here have have copied communication direct from Tesla that states any third party dealer possession will revoke the FUSC. This should be absolutely illegal but until Tesla is challenged in the courts on this, they'll continue to strip away FUSC whenever a Tesla that has it has been sold by a third party dealer or goes through any third party auction even if it's private to private with the auction being in the middle.

Not only is that not true, but owners here have have copied communication direct from Tesla that states any third party dealer possession will revoke the FUSC.
We may be talking about two different things here. There’s free lifetime supercharging that is limited to the original purchaser and not transferrable to the next owner, then there’s the older transferrable lifetime free supercharging.

My comments were for the transferrable one. In general cars ordered before 15 Jan 2017 and delivered by ?? Apr 2017 will have transferrable one, and cars ordered after 15 Jan 2017 or delivered later will have the nontransferrable.

The non transferrable will be lost with any ownership change. The transferrable will survive an ownership change even through a dealership but only if it never passes through ownership by Tesla.

I’m not sure about the April date, I think it’s 15 Apr, but not certain so used the ?? for the dates in the above. The car in question is described as a mid 2016 model so should have the transferrable lifetime free supercharging.

If you have information to the contrary, please do post it. Accuracy is paramount.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
My comments were for the transferrable one. In general cars ordered before 15 Jan 2017 and delivered by ?? Apr 2017 will have transferrable one, and cars ordered after 15 Jan 2017 or delivered later will have the nontransferrable.

My comments are also only related to the original FUSC that transfers with the vehicle and does not apply to the original owner only. Tesla strips the car following FUSC whenever the car passes through a third party dealer or an auction even if Tesla NEVER had possession of car.

Discussion of the first owner only type isn't necessary since Tesla has always stated that only the first owner with have free supercharging.

My comments are also only related to the original FUSC that transfers with the vehicle and does not apply to the original owner only. Tesla strips the car following FUSC whenever the car passes through a third party dealer or an auction even if Tesla NEVER had possession of car.

Discussion of the first owner only type isn't necessary since Tesla has always stated that only the first owner with have free supercharging.

I don’t believe paragraph 2 is true. If it were, there’d be no need for the term “transferrable”.

If you have actual information about Tesla stripping the transferrable lifetime supercharging without the car passing through Tesla’s ownership, again, please post it.

Not only is that not true, but owners here have have copied communication direct from Tesla that states any third party dealer possession will revoke the FUSC. This should be absolutely illegal but until Tesla is challenged in the courts on this, they'll continue to strip away FUSC whenever a Tesla that has it has been sold by a third party dealer or goes through any third party auction even if it's private to private with the auction being in the middle.
Sigh. Well, events that have happened and what is actually allowed are also two different and unrelated things. Tesla has also illegally removed that FUSC from old cars when people sold it to an individual because someone at Tesla was clueless. That is blatantly not allowed, exactly the same as having it done when a dealership is involved. It's never allowed--period. You seem to be saying it's somehow valid just because some people thought it was hopeless and didn't challenge it. That's not true. If people push back and threaten Tesla, they will back down. They always have. They are bound by law to.

Reactions: D.E.
I don’t believe paragraph 2 is true. If it were, there’d be no need for the term “transferrable”.

If you have actual information about Tesla stripping the transferrable lifetime supercharging without the car passing through Tesla’s ownership, again, please post it.

Search is your friend. It's been posted many dozens of times by many 2016 and earlier pissed off owners for vehicles that never passed through Tesla. There are threads literally thousands of messages long on this topic.

...and by the way, you'll see my reply early on in one ore two of these threads where I stated EXACTLY what you are and that Tesla couldn't possibly do this and I was proven wrong multiple times.

Search is your friend. It's been posted many dozens of times by many 2016 and earlier pissed off owners for vehicles that never passed through Tesla. There are threads literally thousands of messages long on this topic.
And people telling them they needed to threaten Tesla to force them to correct it.
...and by the way, you'll see my reply early on in one ore two of these threads where I stated EXACTLY what you are and that Tesla couldn't possibly do this and I was proven wrong multiple times.
No, you weren't proven wrong. The legal fact and the advice is still correct. A lot of people just don't want to put in the effort to kick Tesla in the teeth to make them fix it.

Again: Tesla making a mistake and people not confronting them on it does not mean it's right or allowed. You seem to be going very literally with the meaning of what "can" Tesla do. They have accidentally double billed people the entire purchase price of a car before. That is something they "can" do when they screw up badly. But they are obviously not "allowed" to do that, as with this.

OK, without documentation of your claims, I’ll consider it opinion. You think you are right, I understand that. We disagree, we’re both absolutely sure the other is wrong. Let’s leave it at that.

And people telling them they needed to threaten Tesla to force them to correct it.

No, you weren't proven wrong. The legal fact and the advice is still correct. A lot of people just don't want to put in the effort to kick Tesla in the teeth to make them fix it.

I was proven wrong in the sense that Tesla DOES it even if they shouldn't and they've users have posted direct communication from customer service stating that their 2016 or earlier Tesla that they bought from a dealer that never passed through Tesla has it's transferrable FUSC removed whenever a third party dealer buys a Tesla from a private party and resells it.

Is this policy or widespread cluelessness by representatives of Tesla? Who knows but it's wide spread.

I was proven wrong in the sense that Tesla DOES it even if they shouldn't and they've users have posted direct communication from customer service stating that their 2016 or earlier Tesla that they bought from a dealer that never passed through Tesla has it's transferrable FUSC removed whenever a third party dealer buys a Tesla from a private party and resells it.

Is this policy or widespread cluelessness by representatives of Tesla? Who knows but it's wide spread.
Right--I acknowledged that this does happen sometimes. It's still illegal, and people can (and do) get it corrected.

Right--I acknowledged that this does happen sometimes. It's still illegal, and people can (and do) get it corrected.

I agree 100% that it's illegal. That said, I've seen no cases where an SC01 stripped vehicle has been restored when passing through a third party dealer.

BTW, there are those, on the ultra pro fan boy side of the argument in some of these past threads that pointed out since Monroney sticker only said "super charger capable" and not "free unlimited supercharging", that Tesla was within their rights to remove SC01. While I disagree with this, it's not as clear cut from a federal standpoint if the cost of the feature being free wasn't included in the Monroney sticker.

Last edited:
I agree 100% that it's illegal. That said, I've seen no cases where an SC01 stripped vehicle has been restored when passing through a third party dealer.
You haven't? I think I've seen several reported here on the forum.
BTW, there are those, on the ultra pro fan boy side of the argument in some of these past threads that pointed out since Monroney sticker only said "super charger capable" and not "free unlimited supercharging", that Tesla was within their rights to remove SC01. While I disagree with this, it's not as clear cut from a federal standpoint if the cost of the feature being free wasn't included in the Monroney sticker.
That is just a useless and ineffective thing to pursue in any direction, since it's trying to figure out the meanings of some words that are unclear.

What was unquestionable and completely clear are two things:
Thing #1
The wording on their website (from Wayback Machine):

"Will it always be free?
Yes, Superchargers will be free to use for Supercharging-enabled vehicles for the life of Model S."

Thing #2:

And then when people asked questions about used car purchases, if the "for the life of the Model S" really applied, an executive from the company made a clarifying statement about it to clear that up. Statements by an executive, speaking on behalf of the company, are legally binding on the company.

"Firm answer: All Teslas purchased with Supercharging for life carry that benefit for the life of the car."

That was from Jon McNeill, Tesla's president of North American sales.

Those two together are indisputable, and people have threatened legal action against Tesla with these things, pointing out they are under contractual obligation to keep it with the car, and Tesla has backed down and corrected it every time I know of when people did challenge them on it.

I currently own a 2015 Model S 70. One nice perk is that it has free lifetime supercharging. Given that I have several Superchargers locations close to my house, I've not had to pay for charging for the past 7 years! However, it has over 85K miles and its charging speed is kind of slow. From what I've read, Tesla ended fully transferrable free super charging sometime in late 2017 or early 2018, but there are several caveats. I am looking at purchasing a newer 2017 S 100D, from a non Tesla car dealership, but they are quite clueless on Teslas and dont have a Tesla app. How can I guide them to check if this car has SC01? There happens to be a Supercharger just a mile from their dealership. If they were to plug it there and if it charged, is that a good enough test to verify that it has SC01? They are a few hundred miles away from me, so I dont want to go there until I am sure.
Thanks.