Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't stay connected to Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've gotta be doing something wrong- Initial setup of Wall Connector: Turned off iPhone's Cellular Data. Held button on WC and have single green light blinking (broadcasting). Phone "sees" the Tesla WC network and connects, but it disconnects after 2-3 seconds. During that 2-3 seconds, I am able to hit 192.168.92.1 and I see the WC programming screens, but it disconnects before I can do anything. I'm staying within a few feet of the connector, and I've tried 'forgetting' all other networks (ie: my home wifi network) to avoid it switching to stronger network. Any ideas what else I can try in order to stay connected long enough to do anything?

Welcome to TMC.

Even though this is the Tesla energy subforum, we actually do not have much discussion on wall connectors in this subforum. Most of that tends to be in the various vehicle subforums for your vehicle.

You could take a look at the following thread and see if it has some information that might help you figure it out:

I have a gen 2 wall connector without wifi so dont have personal experience here, only what I have read both out of my own interest, and because I am a mod here on TMC so I see "lots of threads". The advice below is based on reading, not personal experience.

If you are using any sort of mesh network router, or a router where it combines the 2.4 and 5 gHz bands into one SSID, the wall connector doesnt tend to like that. Its like many other IoT devices in that regard. It also doesnt like WPA3, and needs to be WPA2.

Upvote 0
Your wall connector has a GFI built into it. If it senses a ground fault it will do it’s thing and disconnect. I had this problem and Tesla sent me another wall connector. I had the same problem. I connected to another 220 volt source and it charged just fine. After a bit of trouble shooting I discovered that the circuit breaker feeding the wall plug was bad. One pair of the contacts had more resistance than the other. The GFI in the wall plug saw that as an imbalance and treated that as a fault, and it tripped! Once I replaced the breaker the problem went away. I am not saying this is your problem however it is something to consider.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
Upvote 0