Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't stop charging!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a strange one today. Parked up the M3P at a Pod Point 7kW charger and connected up and started charging - all normal. Came back probably an hour later and opened up the charging screen and touched the "Stop charge" button on the screen. Absolutely no action. Repeatedly doing the same thing had no action. Bizarrely, attempting the same thing from the app stopped charging immediately. Is this behaviour common?

Had a strange one today. Parked up the M3P at a Pod Point 7kW charger and connected up and started charging - all normal. Came back probably an hour later and opened up the charging screen and touched the "Stop charge" button on the screen. Absolutely no action. Repeatedly doing the same thing had no action. Bizarrely, attempting the same thing from the app stopped charging immediately. Is this behaviour common?

Sometimes it will take the screen a minute before it responds to commands like stop charging and open glovebox.

Exactly the same happened to me, twice now over last month. Seems Stop Charging option on screen is greyed out, and no amount of pressing and waiting does anything! Only way to stop charging is to use the App, then use Unlock Charge Port (App too).

Really weird, same 7kW PodPoint charger, any ideas? Never happens at home with my 7kW BP Chargemaster...

Same happens to me so I just use the app now. Glovebox opens fine without issues though

Maybe I'm off base here having a Model S, but won't simply pushing the button on the charge handle stop the charging and unlock the charge port so the handle can be removed? Assuming of course that the car sees a key present?

Maybe I'm off base here having a Model S, but won't simply pushing the button on the charge handle stop the charging and unlock the charge port so the handle can be removed? Assuming of course that the car sees a key present?
There is no button on the handle of the blue Type 2 cable supplied with the car. It does have one on the UMC cable though but this isn’t for use with untethered charge points.

There is no button on the handle of the blue Type 2 cable supplied with the car. It does have one on the UMC cable though but this isn’t for use with untethered charge points.

That then is totally new to me. I have never seen any type of charge cable or handle or any apparatus that did not have a release button on the handle that plugs into the car to immediately stop current flow, and in most cases release and unlatch the charge port. Not sure that is any type of charging apparatus that I would want to use.

• Funny
Reactions: NewbieT
That then is totally new to me. I have never seen any type of charge cable or handle or any apparatus that did not have a release button on the handle that plugs into the car to immediately stop current flow, and in most cases release and unlatch the charge port. Not sure that is any type of charging apparatus that I would want to use.

This is the UK section, so we don't have the same connector as in the USA. There's no button to release the catch on non-Tesla Type 2 connectors here. The Type 2 lead Tesla supply with the car here doesn't have a release button either, that button is only normally on Tesla Wall Connectors and Superchargers here.

Reactions: tccartier
I think some destination charger types have a weird protocol bug where they can’t cope with the car being in control of a session initiated by the charging unit.

I had this on a unit attached to a random local car garage - could only stop charging by pressing the button on the unit. Not sure if what you are describing could be a PodPoint feature in some locations ?

This is the UK section, so we don't have the same connector as in the USA. There's no button to release the catch on non-Tesla Type 2 connectors here. The Type 2 lead Tesla supply with the car here doesn't have a release button either, that button is only normally on Tesla Wall Connectors and Superchargers here.

My apologies I guess I should have been more aware of where I was and what I was reading. Thank you for educating me and pointing that out as opposed to just marking my post funny and laughing at me. Still seems like that wouldn't be ideal I would much prefer to have a immediate interrupt button on the handle that plugs into the car.

I think some destination charger types have a weird protocol bug where they can’t cope with the car being in control of a session initiated by the charging unit.

I had this on a unit attached to a random local car garage - could only stop charging by pressing the button on the unit. Not sure if what you are describing could be a PodPoint feature in some locations ?
The PodPoints I've used have no physical controls, they rely on their app. I can't recall but you may be able to stop the charge from the PodPoint app but you might as well use the Tesla app at that point?

This isn't possible. If the car unloads the CP, for any reason, then the charge point must open the contactor and stop the charge, as a safety provision as much as anything else (stops the unplugged connector being live). It's an analogue signalling system that's used for AC charging, just resistors switched in by the car end to load down a 1 kHz pulse train transmitted by the charge point, with a 1k source impedance.

The protocol is pretty simple. The charge point sits with the CP at +12V when there's nothing connected to it. When plugged in, a fixed resistor to ground in the car loads that down to +9V. The charge point senses this change in voltage and starts a 1kHz pulse train on the CP, with the duty cycle being proportional to the maximum current available from the charge point supply connection. The car then signals to the charge point to close its contactor, supplying mains power to the car, by switching an additional load resistor on to the CP circuit, loading it down to +6V.

If charging won't stop it has to be a problem at the car end, with it not lifting the load on the CP.

My apologies I guess I should have been more aware of where I was and what I was reading. Thank you for educating me and pointing that out as opposed to just marking my post funny and laughing at me. Still seems like that wouldn't be ideal I would much prefer to have a immediate interrupt button on the handle that plugs into the car.
You may want to get used to the idea, I suspect CCS as fitted to European Model 3 will become the norm globally in due course. Electrify America and other US networks are using this connector type without a release button.:rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: tccartier
The PodPoints I've used have no physical controls, they rely on their app. I can't recall but you may be able to stop the charge from the PodPoint app but you might as well use the Tesla app at that point?

Same here, interestingly had the same problem at a Tesco pod point. It was near midnight so I didn't think much of it at the time

PP app doesn't allow charge stop at the one I use