TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can't summon/autopark with failing 12V Battery

Discussion in 'Model S' started by tga, Feb 6, 2017.

1. tga

tga Supporting Member

I couldn't find anything with a search, so here goes...

A few days ago I got the "12V battery needs service; replace 12V battery soon" message (2014 P85+). I have a service appointment for replacement in 2 weeks.

After the message occurred, I noticed I can lo longer summon/autopark. I have made no changes to any of the settings, nor had an update recently.
    1. If I try to summon from the fob by holding the center button, nothing happens. Hazards never start to flash.
    2. If I try to autopark with a quick double tap on park, the car prompts me for the direction on the main touchscreen, but when I exit the car, it just sits there with the flashers going. It never moves.
    3. I only confirmed the connection by trying to summon with the phone app. In that case, I get a dialog on the phone app that says "Error - Summon failed. There was an issue with the 12V battery."
    Anyone know if this is a bug, or functioning as designed? If it's not a bug, the car should not prompt me for a direction when autoparking in case #2, it should pop up a message like "Autopark not available - 12V battery problem." And it should probably pop up some message explaining why summon with the fob failed the next time I get in the car, so I don't think I was standing there like an idiot holding the wrong button or something...

Along the same lines, is there some way to acknowledge and get rid of the annoying "12V battery needs service" message? I get it. The battery is going bad. I have an appointment scheduled. Stop nagging me about it. :rolleyes:

I put a 12V jump starter in the car, but it just occurred to me that was probably pointless - if the 12V battery fails completely, I probably can't get into the car to get the jump starter. :oops:

2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Anyone can always get into the Frunk on a refresh car, so just make sure you put it there.

3. tga

tga Supporting Member

This is a pre-refresh car (2014).

4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

In that case yeah, it could be difficult to get into the car to get your jump unit... :(

5. tga

tga Supporting Member

I could duct tape it to the roof!

6. ElectricLove

ElectricLove Member

There is a not terribly difficult way into the pre-refresh models too! Remove nose-cone and reach into the two clasps that lock the frunk lid down. Grasp the cables that actuate them (black thick cable similar to bike brake-line) and pull on those sequentially starting with the one closest to the front. This will unlatch the frunk on the pre-facelift model S! post-facelift is much simpler though; don't put anything valuable up there! (though I don't know how many thieves know these tricks)

7. ig_epower

ig_epower Member

I have a pre-refresh front and I have enough of a problem pulling the nose cone off! Any special tricks that you can share? I tried credit cards of various thicknesses. I don't want to scratch anything with a screwdriver. I don't have those special plastic L-hook tools either.

8. GJ79

GJ79 Member

I always use a wire shelf support brace. The flat end is deep and stiff and I taped it with some painters tape. It pops the nose cone off easily with no scratches.

Support Brace for Wire Shelving - 9 Inch

• Informative x 1