Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't supercharge because "Payment Method Required"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This error showed up Friday after supercharging. Fixed account but now Sunday, I'm stranded because I still have the error and can't supercharge. Service verified account is correct but they can't do anything until 7:00am Monday.

Found destination charger and have to sit in car all night to get enough charge.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Oh man. Did you buy the car new? Supposedly those issues happen to used car buyers, especially when not bought thru Tesla. But also if you forget to update a c/c and it expires. We have to be vigilant about that. We're going on a long trip on Thursday. We're a bit nervous, since it's our first ever EV, and just bought it a week+ ago. Hope not to have any of the 2021 issues mentioned on this forum, like heat not working, screen freezing up, motor noises, etc. We have free supercharging, so hopefully that will not be an issue this year. Plus I have a valid c/c until 2026, or something like that. Sucks that you cannot see Netflix without wi-fi. It didn't work with our phones as hot-spots either. So much for 'premium connectivity'. I won't renew after the year is over. Nothing works except in my house, when car connects to my wi-fi. Oh well. Good luck man; at least the seats are comfy :).

38,000 mile 2018 Model 3. Never a problem like this before now.

Credit card was compromised and I entered the new one but it somehow got rolled back. Regardless I reentered it Friday but still have an issue. Frustrating that it has to wait till 7:00.

I was under the impression Tesla gave a grace of around $100 when there was a credit card issue to give the customer time to rectify the issue? If you do not Supercharge for several months (I don't) and your credit card had an issue weeks before your next Supercharger session, the Tesla grace period algorithm might be flawed. I will be putting a reminder entry in my calendar to update the expiration date on the Tesla website. Thanks for your heads-up post!!

So is it confirmed Netflix/Youtube etc does NOT work using ATT LTE? If so, did this happen after a recent firmware update? My current firmware version still has the old UI ie.. large nav screen area. I have downloaded the current version but have not installed it yet. If an owner had to sit in a long line for covid testing/vaccination, watching something to pass the time would be helpful. Oh, this would require a change to allow watching videos at low speeds ie.. below 2-3MPH (Covid mode). There is probably some federal law that would not allow this.

Last edited:
Oh man. Did you buy the car new? Supposedly those issues happen to used car buyers, especially when not bought thru Tesla. But also if you forget to update a c/c and it expires. We have to be vigilant about that. We're going on a long trip on Thursday. We're a bit nervous, since it's our first ever EV, and just bought it a week+ ago. Hope not to have any of the 2021 issues mentioned on this forum, like heat not working, screen freezing up, motor noises, etc. We have free supercharging, so hopefully that will not be an issue this year. Plus I have a valid c/c until 2026, or something like that. Sucks that you cannot see Netflix without wi-fi. It didn't work with our phones as hot-spots either. So much for 'premium connectivity'. I won't renew after the year is over. Nothing works except in my house, when car connects to my wi-fi. Oh well. Good luck man; at least the seats are comfy :).
Is there a supercharger near you? If so, go try it out today to be sure that supercharging is not a problem.
Also, be aware that supercharging kWh rate may be limited in cool weather if the battery temp is below 70ºF. To avoid that problem, be sure that battery pre-heating is enabled and use NAV (which turns on battery conditioning when the destination is a supercharger) to get directions to the supercharger.

38,000 mile 2018 Model 3. Never a problem like this before now.

Credit card was compromised and I entered the new one but it somehow got rolled back. Regardless I reentered it Friday but still have an issue. Frustrating that it has to wait till 7:00.

So, you already know what the issue is (your credit card was compromised, and you entered the new one but for some reason it didnt stick in the account).

Why does the thread title and first post in the thread sound like its some random failure, then?

They should let you put two credit cards into their system, so if one gets compromised or expires, you have the 2nd as backup.

Yeah, they should allow that if someone wants to do that, agree for sure. There have been enough posts with someone having an issue with their credit card (usually something that at least is understandable when it finally comes out, but still a problem), that they should allow someone to put in two credit cards.

Saying that, however, this is a company that took like 3-4 extra months to try to figure out how to bill monthly for premium connectivity, so I dont think "online billing" is anywhere near their strong suit. They might end up billing both credit cards sometimes, lol

• Funny
Reactions: Phlier and KenC
I stated to arrive at superchargers with 20% (not 10%); can you set that up on the car's nav? I will use the car's nav, but took pictures of the amount of charge needed according to the site above, to know how much to charge the car, since the car might assume 10%, to minimize charging time. I don't want so little margin, since it can get very windy (a head wind, no less) in that area, which would reduce efficiency even further. It'd only add 10 minutes of charging from 10 to 20%, so a very safe approach IMO, especially being new to EVs.
Right, shooting for 10% arrival is frequently too close, especially with some cold or 80 mph. If you're using the car's built-in Beta Trim Planner (TM) to let it choose all your Supercharger stops and tell you your charging times, it usually will say, "Time to leave!" by about that 10% remaining, which you don't want. So to go for 20%, here's what to do. Pull up the Energy screen on the display. It will have a tab called "Trips". That will show what the navigation has to the next stop (your next Supercharger). And at the right side will show the calculated arrival %. Even after the car has announced that you can leave, that number will still be rising, if the car is still charging. So just wait until you see 20% there before you unplug and go. That's what we used to do before they added that Beta Trip Planner to try to guide you though charging times.

Right, shooting for 10% arrival is frequently too close, especially with some cold or 80 mph. If you're using the car's built-in Beta Trim Planner (TM) to let it choose all your Supercharger stops and tell you your charging times, it usually will say, "Time to leave!" by about that 10% remaining, which you don't want. So to go for 20%, here's what to do. Pull up the Energy screen on the display. It will have a tab called "Trips". That will show what the navigation has to the next stop (your next Supercharger). And at the right side will show the calculated arrival %. Even after the car has announced that you can leave, that number will still be rising, if the car is still charging. So just wait until you see 20% there before you unplug and go. That's what we used to do before they added that Beta Trip Planner to try to guide you though charging times.

Isn't that the same number at the bottom if you drag down the turn by turn instructions? That's what I do, drag that down and look at the arrival charge until it reaches like 15% to 18%. In California, I always "gain" a few % points at arrival.

Isn't that the same number at the bottom if you drag down the turn by turn instructions? That's what I do, drag that down and look at the arrival charge until it reaches like 15% to 18%. In California, I always "gain" a few % points at arrival.
Oh, that's right--it is the same number shown there too.

Which brings up a separate rant I have. On my Model S display at least, if I have a route in Nav, it will only show that arrival % if it's displaying the route in the "entire trip" kind of view, where it's zoomed way out to show both the start and end points. Well, that's not very good to use while actually driving, so you want to switch to one of the other ones, where it's either "North up" or "Forward up" on the map. But if you do that, the display condenses down those turn-by-turns and hides the arrival %, so you can't see it while driving to keep an eye on it. You have to keep switching your view every once in a while to check on it as you drive, which is stupid and cumbersome. I've told Tesla about that problem, and gotten no response.

• Love
Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Oh, that's right--it is the same number shown there too.

Which brings up a separate rant I have. On my Model S display at least, if I have a route in Nav, it will only show that arrival % if it's displaying the route in the "entire trip" kind of view, where it's zoomed way out to show both the start and end points. Well, that's not very good to use while actually driving, so you want to switch to one of the other ones, where it's either "North up" or "Forward up" on the map. But if you do that, the display condenses down those turn-by-turns and hides the arrival %, so you can't see it while driving to keep an eye on it. You have to keep switching your view every once in a while to check on it as you drive, which is stupid and cumbersome. I've told Tesla about that problem, and gotten no response.

I think it used to do that, but they changed it to the way it is now. I gave up and just use the Trip display. I like to my arrival charge % increase as I drive...giving me a warm and comfortable feeling LOL. I might even set the cabin temperature higher!

I sent Tesla a message to ask if they can allow more then 1 CC in the account, hope it goes to the right department, if not I will call Corporate tomorrow.

To the OP, do you have access to Charge Point, Electrify America or Blink charging stations? These are other options I have in case I am caught somewhere without a supercharger nearby.

Fred

Reactions: Phlier and KenC
I sent Tesla a message to ask if they can allow more then 1 CC in the account, hope it goes to the right department, if not I will call Corporate tomorrow.

To the OP, do you have access to Charge Point, Electrify America or Blink charging stations? These are other options I have in case I am caught somewhere without a supercharger nearby.

Fred
Maybe we should all Twitter bomb Elon asking for this. Nicely, of course. Maybe something like, "Dear Elon: I have been unable to supercharge my car on a recent road trip, due to not being able to have more than one source of payment on file. Could we please get additional payment options, as well as the ability to pay per-session, sometime soon?"

It doesn't seem like it would be too much trouble to add pay-per-session functionality into the smart phone app(s), really. Having it work with ApplePay or the Android equivalent seems like kind of a no-brainer.