Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't take advantage of Powerwall Coordination feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the most recent software upgrade for my Model 3, 2020.32.3, there is a feature labeled Tesla Powerwall Coordination. The release notes say that, "your car coordinates with Powerwall for enhanced charging during a power outage without exceeding the energy and power capabilities of your Powerwall system. Powerwall continuously responds to the charging power needs of your home and will slow or stop your car's charging, keeping your home loads powered." However, when my Powerwall was installed, they set up a separate panel for circuits over 30 amps, which currently only includes the circuit for the NEMA 14-50 plug in my garage for charging my car. Circuits in this panel are not covered by the Powerwall. So, with this setup, I can't take advantage of the "slow" aspect of this new feature. The "stop" will already happen automatically. In general, I would expect I would avoid using my Powerwall to charge my car during an outage, to make it last as long as possible. But, options are always good.

Correct, if your charging outlet / circut is not on the backup side, you cant use it.

I am hopeful that at some point, maybe tesla will enable this feature to work when the grid is UP as well as when the grid is down. My HPWC is also on the "non backup" side... in fact it is the ONLY thing in my house that is on the non backup side.

It would be nice to send "extra" solar to the car, after powering the home, and charging the batteries, but before sending it to the grid. Maybe they will enable this at some point in the future.