Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't turn off auto wipers or high beams? [on autopilot]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Y'all with the "turning off hardware I PAID FOR!" are just too much. Dude's gonna root his Tesla because they disabled radar? 😂😂😂😂

You paid for a Tesla and to support the team that decides how they are updated and programmed. This discussion is hilarious to me. I see the point you are trying to make, but it's almost completely silly and ignores exactly what Tesla is, under the guise of "Tesla thinks they know better!! No one asked me!!" Yup.

I'm sorry to be so glib, but this is all so funny.
My point is apparently lost in you. The sheer amount of Tesla fanboys that gulp down whatever turd they pump out is ridiculous.

My point is apparently lost in you. The sheer amount of Tesla fanboys that gulp down whatever turd they pump out is ridiculous.
turning radar off is comparable to apple suddenly disabling the physically built in flash in an iphone and saying as new default it's long-exposure only for low lights but no more flash. nobody needs flash to begin with and long exposure is superior in low light situations...

turning radar off is comparable to apple suddenly disabling the physically built in flash in an iphone and saying as new default it's long-exposure only for low lights but no more flash. nobody needs flash to begin with and long exposure is superior in low light situations...

It would be more comparable to Apple starting to include Fingerprint ID back into their phones so people can use both face or fingerprint, but then deciding to remove Face ID for ALL phones because they feel like its less secure (and less work for them to deal with the legacy code), so people with devices only a couple of years old are forced to use a passcode instead since their Face ID no longer works.

Passcode still works though! Just like vision only still works! But Face ID was so much better.

This analogy will ring even truer when future Teslas come with the new high definition radar that they just registered with the FCC. Then all the people that are vision-only will feel the burn that people that currently have radar are now.

Reactions: Boza
It would be more comparable to Apple starting to include Fingerprint ID back into their phones so people can use both face or fingerprint, but then deciding to remove Face ID for ALL phones because they feel like its less secure (and less work for them to deal with the legacy code), so people with devices only a couple of years old are forced to use a passcode instead since their Face ID no longer works.

Passcode still works though! Just like vision only still works! But Face ID was so much better.

This analogy will ring even truer when future Teslas come with the new high definition radar that they just registered with the FCC. Then all the people that are vision-only will feel the burn that people that currently have radar are now.
if Tesla feels like a brand new high definition radar is needed to achieve L3+ autonomous driving... after selling $10k+ FSD to "vision only" cars for years... lol....

I'm really glad I found this thread. I knew I wasn't the only one having this issue. The Model 3 went from my favorite car I've ever had to my least with this new update. When I'm driving on the freeway I'm constantly shining my brights into oncoming traffic. They oncoming semis make sure to flash me back, causing distractions on both sides of an extremally busy Highway 65 coming out of Chicago. On top of that, today I was comically battling the high beams while the wipers decided to go at full blast with no rain and I had just left the carwash. This is dangerous and is 100% going to get someone killed. WTH is going on?!?

I'm really glad I found this thread. I knew I wasn't the only one having this issue. The Model 3 went from my favorite car I've ever had to my least with this new update. When I'm driving on the freeway I'm constantly shining my brights into oncoming traffic. They oncoming semis make sure to flash me back, causing distractions on both sides of an extremally busy Highway 65 coming out of Chicago. On top of that, today I was comically battling the high beams while the wipers decided to go at full blast with no rain and I had just left the carwash. This is dangerous and is 100% going to get someone killed. WTH is going on?!?
Unfortunately, it looks like your experience is quite common. You should get a service appointment. Adaptive Cruise Control is not even a luxury feature anymore and that problem has been solved a decade ago.
Tesla should stop monkeying with AI and focus back on making great EVs.

Reactions: George75
Same problem, same concern.

They are also removing the ultrasonic sensors (USS). Next: the wheels. Square wheels are better.
That's what I'm waiting on next my USS to just stop working and to be told it's a feature. Tesla has gone from forward thinking to just changing and removing stuff to save money. I see clearly now why legacy auto makers have clearly defined model years for their vehicles so that three or four years of the same vehicles get these features. Tesla needs to do that vs trying to force everything they've made since 2017 into the same low cost mold. I'm actually now on the fence if my next vehicle will be a Tesla. Had you asked me this a year ago the answer would have been no.

That's what I'm waiting on next my USS to just stop working and to be told it's a feature. Tesla has gone from forward thinking to just changing and removing stuff to save money. I see clearly now why legacy auto makers have clearly defined model years for their vehicles so that three or four years of the same vehicles get these features. Tesla needs to do that vs trying to force everything they've made since 2017 into the same low cost mold. I'm actually now on the fence if my next vehicle will be a Tesla. Had you asked me this a year ago the answer would have been no.
Oh, I have already decided that this is the last Tesla I own. In fact, I am waiting for proven 400mi model from Audi, BMW, MB to switch. Aside from the EV part, my experience has been subpar for $100k+ car. I just hope that they do not bring the frustration to a level where I would go back to ICE.

Thanks DST and Tesla. Drove to work this morning as the sun was coming up right into a massive swarm of nats and yes autopilot that cost extra when I bought my car was on and it promptly activated the wipers full speed. Smearing $hit that won't come off (short of pressure washing) all over the window. Things like that make me wish I never bought this car. I absolutely hate not having full control over something I supposedly own.

Oh, I have already decided that this is the last Tesla I own. In fact, I am waiting for proven 400mi model from Audi, BMW, MB to switch. Aside from the EV part, my experience has been subpar for $100k+ car. I just hope that they do not bring the frustration to a level where I would go back to ICE.
If you can get past the hideous front end, the BMW IX M50 has a real world 340 mile range at a constant 70MPH. Plus I've read it has outstanding regen braking and it is one of if not the quietest EV's on the market. Not sure on its self-driving capabilities, but it doesn't have a frunk.

At 340 miles, you may not need DC charging so much for the majority of road trips.

If you can get past the hideous front end, the BMW IX M50 has a real world 340 mile range at a constant 70MPH. Plus I've read it has outstanding regen braking and it is one of if not the quietest EV's on the market. Not sure on its self-driving capabilities, but it doesn't have a frunk.

At 340 miles, you may not need DC charging so much for the majority of road trips.
I tested it. The driver assistance is pretty good as driver assistant, nothing more. Inside is, well, BMW everything (way more luxurious than Tesla) but the grille is totally utterly hideous! Still, if it had another 20kW I would have seriously considered it.

BTW: As much as we don’t like Tesla software and approach to “upgrades”, their network is not short of stellar! Tried another EV over the weekend and Electrify America is a disaster! I am yet to see station where all chargers work, at the designed power level. It is as if they try to discourage you to use EVs.

I tested it. The driver assistance is pretty good as driver assistant, nothing more. Inside is, well, BMW everything (way more luxurious than Tesla) but the grille is totally utterly hideous! Still, if it had another 20kW I would have seriously considered it.

BTW: As much as we don’t like Tesla software and approach to “upgrades”, their network is not short of stellar! Tried another EV over the weekend and Electrify America is a disaster! I am yet to see station where all chargers work, at the designed power level. It is as if they try to discourage you to use EVs.

No doubt about EA's horrible infrastructure. Apparently, if you live in the Colorado area, you've got EA chargers by ABB company, which are completely unreliable. But on the east coast, I think Signet makes the EA chargers, which seem to have held up much better. Either way, not a system that can be relied upon nationally. There's a great video on this whole problem by Kyle Connor from Out of Spec. He's been the leader in testing America's DC charging infrastructure. Search for the title "System Meltdown! What The Heck Is Going On With DC Fast Charging In America?"

But that's why I recommend to those who want a non Tesla EV and travel frequently to seek one with the highest range to minimize your need to DC fast charge.

I have learned not to panic when things like that crop up. I check here to see if others are experiencing similar problems. I can live without using Auto Pilot for awhile. If the problem is dangerous, by all means, get a service appointment.
Well it’s been 2 years since vision only was released and it’s still not fully feature comparable to vision + radar. Hopefully that means you won’t have to wait long, but realistically it probably means that you will.