Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't turn off autopilot nag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
30 day safety score bumped me to 99 and I received 1st time beta access earlier this week. On a 250 mile mostly freeway drive I received 5 autopilot nags that I could not override. I had to disengage autopilot and re-engage. This would happen very occasionally on pre-beta software. Any ideas why the nag can't be overridden? And is there anything in the FSD beta that would increase the frequency that it occurs? I'll try again next week with a non-beta FSD profile to see if that makes a difference.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
30 day safety score bumped me to 99 and I received 1st time beta access earlier this week. On a 250 mile mostly freeway drive I received 5 autopilot nags that I could not override. I had to disengage autopilot and re-engage. This would happen very occasionally on pre-beta software. Any ideas why the nag can't be overridden? And is there anything in the FSD beta that would increase the frequency that it occurs? I'll try again next week with a non-beta FSD profile to see if that makes a difference.
What are you asking? Why would there be no nag? Generally the car is even more vigilant and ensures you at least appear to be paying attention with FSD Beta. Not sure how different it is on the freeway, haven’t really experimented. Seems largely similar in the limited time I have spent on the freeway.

Keep that hand annoyingly on the wheel in the classic Tesla Tug, and you’ll be just fine. It’s no big deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: K5TRX
...I'll try again next week with a non-beta FSD profile to see if that makes a difference...
If you don't like the nags, don't turn on AutoSteer: Either learn how to comply to avoid the nags or just turn on your TACC only.

...is there anything in the FSD beta that would increase the frequency that it occurs?...

In my experience, FSD beta is much stricter than the publicly released version.

Seems the same on the highway to me. Only difference is, it follows speed limits closer. Which is good and bad.

Nag wise it seems no different.

Don’t understand what OP means by override Nag.
I suspect the OP is unable to dismiss the nag using the steering wheel or scroll wheels. I have had that happen once or twice and was forced to disengage AP with the stalk to not get put in AP jail.

@rstrauss : I would make a service appt and have the car checked out. Make sure to do the video capture snapshot thing when it happens so Tesla can pull the logs (or a bug report). Your steering wheel torque sensor might be wonky.

I suspect the OP is unable to dismiss the nag using the steering wheel or scroll wheels. I have had that happen once or twice and was forced to disengage AP with the stalk to not get put in AP jail.

@rstrauss : I would make a service appt and have the car checked out. Make sure to do the video capture snapshot thing when it happens so Tesla can pull the logs (or a bug report). Your steering wheel torque sensor might be wonky.
Yes that is what I meant. I'll see if the same drive with a non-beta profile does the same thing. If it does, I'll make the service appt. Thanks for the suggestion.

To clarify, I don't mind that the nag exists. I agree that the number of nags is about the same as the production version. I tend to keep a light touch on the wheel so as not to cancel autopilot. When the nag comes up, I can normally prevent autopilot disengage by right stalk, thumbwheels or slightly firmer wheel tug. In the cases I mention, the nag screen does not go away when I do any of these and I have to disengage/reengage autopilot or risk getting the pink wheel disengage. As noted in the OP, this has always been something that occasionally happened but after installing the beta software I noticed the increased frequency of it occurring. It was something that might have happened less than once a month or so and never on the same day/trip. So I think the 5 occurrences I got today may be related to the beta software. As someone suggested, beta may be more stricter on sensing wheel grip.

Forgetting about the FSD, is there any reason the nag should not be cancelled by thumbwheels, left stalk or wheel tug?

In the cases I mention, the nag screen does not go away when I do any of these and I have to disengage/reengage
Interesting. Never has happened to me. I guess if you assume a torque sensor issue that would imply that FSD beta is not treating scroll wheels as sufficient to dismiss the nag.

Or, maybe it does not like something about your face when using the cabin camera. It’s not clear to me how they all interact, but the cabin camera is definitely used now, and maybe it doesn’t matter what any of the other DMS elements (torque/scroll wheels etc.) say if it doesn’t think you have your eyes on the road?

On a 250 mile mostly freeway drive I received 5 autopilot nags that I could not override. I had to disengage autopilot and re-engage. This would happen very occasionally on pre-beta software.

I've not had it to the point where I have had to intentionally disengage auto pilot, but I have found that even on the same journey, satisfying the nag takes a considerably different amount of force - sometimes the lightest of touches, sometimes a forceful wiggle or two of the wheel that can be forceful enough to unintendedly disengage autopilot. Plain FSD/NoA here in UK so nothing to do with City Streets beta, so possibly similar to your pre-beta experiences.