Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cant unlock or open trunk with Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MJL2020

Nov 12, 2020
UK
Does anyone else have the issue where they can't unlock or open the trunk with the Tesla App? and does anyone know how to fix it, if it's at all possible? Everything else in the app works without issue and I can lock the car, so the issue is limited to getting into the vehicle - unlocking and also opening trucks.

I've taken this into the Tesla service centre and they couldn't help and just said it worked on their computer and it must be an issue with my phone. Whilst there I asked the service guy to try on his phone and he had the same problem. I've also tried on my wife's phone and it doesn't work there either.

This surely must be an issue with the car??

Following fixed my issue.

Do the following. Make sure your car is not parked inside a garage.
1- Do a factory reset under service.
This will Reset the infotainment system computer to factory default. It will wipe all settings and data. Process take a little time.

2- Once it’s reset then enable the mobile control to be able to use the mobile app.

3- Now the second step is to put your foot on brake paddle and hold the two scrolling wheel buttons on steering column. This will hard reboot the computer.

4- now you will have to do a soft reboot. Without your foot on the paddle, press the two scroll wheels on steering column only and this will soft reboot your system.

now you will have to connect to WiFi and all just like in a new car. Your Bluetooth may not get disconnected by this.
Now you should be able to use your app to unlock and all.

Yes, try to make this type of resets, if this will not help, contact Tesla service to perform Reset Mcu command key, it performs around 15 min. In my case only this help. Some times even service guys don't know that toolbox can do this. On my car they swap MCU after EMMC failure and did not make this reset.

Following fixed my issue.

Do the following. Make sure your car is not parked inside a garage.
1- Do a factory reset under service.
This will Reset the infotainment system computer to factory default. It will wipe all settings and data. Process take a little time.

2- Once it’s reset then enable the mobile control to be able to use the mobile app.

3- Now the second step is to put your foot on brake paddle and hold the two scrolling wheel buttons on steering column. This will hard reboot the computer.

4- now you will have to do a soft reboot. Without your foot on the paddle, press the two scroll wheels on steering column only and this will soft reboot your system.

now you will have to connect to WiFi and all just like in a new car. Your Bluetooth may not get disconnected by this.
Now you should be able to use your app to unlock and all.

I've just tried this and it hasn't worked unfortunately... I'll see if I can get it back into the garage o try and reset MCU.