TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can't "unsee" it

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Unpilot, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Unpilot

Unpilot Sell order in at $3999.99

Finally we got some warm weather so I hand washed my 2017 S100D .....yikes the small chips on the hood from ...I don't know sand/bug fats?!

I knew the car would invariably get chips and scrapes...but man it is tough to see the first ones!

• Like x 1
  2. Murph85

Murph85 Member

I am on my 2nd Tesla and I thought about getting that one wrapped, however my current idea is to just fix the chips as they come up.

I saw this video and the process seems realtively straight forward.

I did put on the expel film on the headlights, I figured fixing rock chips is easier that sanding headlights (It is also way cheaper).

3. Unpilot

That looks pretty cool...thanks for sharing.

4. f3honda4me

f3honda4me Member

When I got my car xpel wrapped it had 1500 miles and already had 5 rock chips. Now it has zero. :D And it should stay that way barring any large dent creating debris.

• Like x 1
  5. Unpilot

DId you do the whole car? Can I ask what you paid?

6. f3honda4me

f3honda4me Member

Yes did the whole car. $4k for xpel stealth so it also changed the look to a satin finish.

7. Unpilot

Thanks....I have been thinking of getting the front end done.

8. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

After watching this video from Bjorn and all the iron particles his loaner had on the paint, I’m definitely glad I totally wrapped my X!

9. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

Definitely glad I got mine wrapped as well, although I wanted it done sooner than 1000 miles. But at least completed before any damage was done. :cool:

• Like x 1
  10. Pentium2004

Pentium2004 Former Vendor

Paint is very soft on Tesla’s since they use PPG water based paints.

11. Bebop

Bebop Active Member

Get a clear bra on the front half of the car!

It has saved the front of my car and the film has the scar tissue to prove it. Gonna eventually replace it and put new film at the end of the year since I do a bunch of highway driving, so the film takes more abuse than normal.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

Picked up our MS and drove it 5 miles to our detail guy for our full body wrap. He had one small chip to correct just getting it there. So hard to wait yet another week to drive it until it was ready to pick up. So happy we got ours wrapped too. If we didn't love our car so much probably wouldn't care. Not cheap to do though. Went for full wrap knowing park as carefully as one tries people will brush by or open car doors with little thought. And sure enough the expensive car you intentionally parked next to will leave before you and some old clunker will pull in its spot :eek:.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1