Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hiya all

My one-month old Model 3 LR suddenly decided to stop offering up AC on its first roadtrip. This was suboptimal given that it was 105°F out and it was a few hundred miles back to home in what is now a mobile greenhouse.

TSLA Roadside assistance had me go through a few reboots (onscreen kind and the steering wheel buttons kind) to no avail and observed that I was behind a few software releases (currently on 2019.15.105 46b3032). However, I've never received any alerts on the iOS app nor on the touchscreen that I have an update ready to be applied.

When we got home (sweaty and cranky beyond belief, ugh), I checked the software pane on the touchscreen and found a message that says "Update available, Please connect to Wi-Fi to download the Software Update." The loading bar under this message has a few green pixels to the far left.

I have a very strong WiFi signal where the car is parked, I even pulled up the browser and ran a speedtest on it, plenty of bandwidth up and down. I tried forgetting the network, re-connecting but the "Connect to WiFi" message remains. Tapping on this message does nothing and I couldn't find any other way to initiate this download. Went through this dance several times.

I quit fiddling with the car and left it alone for 15 hours. Tried all of the above again, still no AC, still no way to access the SW update.

I have a service appointment scheduled for next Friday but won't be able to tolerate driving w/o AC for a week so I'm hoping this is an issue that can be resolved with a software update. Any ideas to try that I haven't already tried?

...ideas...

I have no idea why the updates wouldn't load.

Logically, if your AC worked before and nothing was changed because you didn't apply another update, then your AC should have worked as before. That makes me think that it is not a software related problem for your AC.

Have you tried supercharging? Your battery needs a working HVAC for supercharging and also for hot weather.

I had the software would not download problem and was simple fix. Tesla just reset it remotely and it then downloaded. Said it can sometimes get hung up. Go on your App and Schedule Service> Software update and type in the problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
Oh interesting about the download getting hung up. Unfortunately, it appears that I do not have the option to schedule another service to deal with the software download issue w/o first canceling my current appointment for the AC to be looked at next Friday. I don't want to do that because I don't want to risk getting pushed out even further. Tried called roadside assistance from the car and was told it was unavailable (maybe because my car is parked at home?) Chat is closed too. Sent an email to support and got an autoresponse saying I'd hear back in 24-48 hours (which, whatever).

I might drive it a few miles from home and dial Roadside Assistance again, however, the lack of AC is going to push me into a menopausal rage in short order.