TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can't upgrade to 72 amp charger

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Fezzik, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Fezzik

Fezzik P100D, M3LR

Hi all. I had a p85d for awhile, but needed that extra 15 for a trip i take. It saves me ~30 mins or more (travel with 4 kids) and only 1 stop instead of 2. I was hoping i could upgrade my p85d (had 80 amp charger) to the 100 battery pack but that will not happen. So i bought a p100d. Unfortunately its only has the 48 amp charger. I thought we could upgrade it to the 72 amp charger, but I was told only the original owner can do that. This is a CPO vehicle. They are telling me I'm stuck. Is there anyone I can talk to. I use the car a lot and want the high charger to do quick charges. I do not charge just at home overnight. any advice?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

That sucks.

Supercharge instead? How about using Model S/X CHAdeMO Adapter if there are reasonably priced CHAdeMO chargers near where you want to go. They tend to be 44 to 50 kW max output in the US, w/the occasional 25 kW or so.

3. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

That sounds very suspect. I might call a different service center and see what they have to say.

• Like x 3
  4. Fezzik

Fezzik P100D, M3LR

I do supercharge when I travel, but my home I do not supercharge or at my parents place which is no where near any chargers. It sucks that I'll get to my location and have to wait almost double time to travel in my car again.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Have you checked Plugshare for CHAdeMO chargers?

6. Fezzik

Fezzik P100D, M3LR

yes, there is nothing nearby. Plus I want to charge from home or the parents house so I can spend time there instead of waiting a couple hours at a charger station.
    Also does using a a charging station other than supercharge bypass the 48amp charger onboard?

7. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Only Chademo bypasses the internal charger like a supercharger ..other public L2 chargers will use your 48 amp

• Informative x 1
  8. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

I thought the 48 amp charger came with the refresh models and the nosecone had the 40 amp charger where you could add a second 40 amp charger to it? Or was the switchover earlier?

9. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

48 amp came with the refresh ...OP got an original P100

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

DC fast charging (e.g. Tesla Supercharger, CHAdeMO and CCS (Combo1 and 2)) bypass the on-board charger. The external unit when DC charging is the charger.

11. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

In the newer cars it’s a charger upgrade, the 48 amp unit is pulled and replaced with a 72. I can’t see any reason why Tesla wouldn’t do it if you’re willing to pay for the part and labor.

• Like x 2
  12. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

To be clear, on these trips, you do have access to an EVSE (either J1772 or Tesla Wall Connector) that has output greater than 48 amps? Just making sure...

13. Fezzik

Fezzik P100D, M3LR

Yep. I have a tesla wall charger at 100 amps at both locations.

• Informative x 1
  14. prash

prash Member

All 100Ds come with 72A charger as standard. Why is p100d different?

15. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I agree with this. Tesla’s policy, as describe in the OP, make zero sense. Call a different service center.

16. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Early 100s this was not standard

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. Fezzik

Fezzik P100D, M3LR

It was before the AP2 came out by a couple weeks Def is
    48amp

18. Julie's MS

Julie's MS Member

Seems a little backwards reducing onboard charger. Or at least not offering it as an upgrade on all the S & X models.

Lets hope they bring back the 72AMP or higher standard on board chargers for all future S & X cars

19. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

The P100D's came with the 48A standard, with the 72A as upgrade at or after configuration.

For the first few months of production, the 100D's were also in the same situation. We had one of the first S 100D's delivered in the US, and we didn't purchase the 72A upgrade, which became standard the month after our delivery (April 2017).

After the 72A charger became standard, I contacted Tesla about upgrading our car, and found that we already had the 72A charger on board, evidently being software limited. So if we're willing to pay an additional $1900, they'll flip the switch to turn on 72A charging, something that became free a few weeks after we bought our car last year.

However, we have no plans to upgrade. We've been charging at 48A at home (using an HPWC on a 100A circuit), and haven't had any need to charge faster. For overnight charging, 48A is enough to recharge a 100D - charging faster won't provide any benefit for overnight charging.

About the only time we might benefit from the 72A charger would be on road trips, if we could find a location that offered charging above 48A (which is pretty rare).

If you only have 48A, you should be OK, even with a 100 battery pack...

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. Cowbell

Cowbell Member

I purchased an April 2017 S100D new and It only has 48A onboard charger. When I contacted them for an upgrade to 72A they told me it couldn’t be done and they have refused to explain why. This is really frustrating since I went to the trouble and expense of installing a 100A circuit to my wall charger with very heavy gauge wire. I even escalated on Mytesla and still got no response after the initial confusing response from the first line employee.

• Informative x 1