Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't upgrade to 72 amp charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I even escalated on Mytesla and still got no response after the initial confusing response from the first line employee.
That is probably what I would continue to recommend. They put that escalation feature in there for when people are getting unhelpful or nonsensical answers from first level staff. I can't see any good reason for refusing to make this upgrade, so I would say to continue to file an escalation comment every couple of weeks or so to get a real answer.

The P100D's came with the 48A standard, with the 72A as upgrade at or after configuration.

For the first few months of production, the 100D's were also in the same situation. We had one of the first S 100D's delivered in the US, and we didn't purchase the 72A upgrade, which became standard the month after our delivery (April 2017).

After the 72A charger became standard, I contacted Tesla about upgrading our car, and found that we already had the 72A charger on board, evidently being software limited. So if we're willing to pay an additional $1900, they'll flip the switch to turn on 72A charging, something that became free a few weeks after we bought our car last year.

However, we have no plans to upgrade. We've been charging at 48A at home (using an HPWC on a 100A circuit), and haven't had any need to charge faster. For overnight charging, 48A is enough to recharge a 100D - charging faster won't provide any benefit for overnight charging.

About the only time we might benefit from the 72A charger would be on road trips, if we could find a location that offered charging above 48A (which is pretty rare).

If you only have 48A, you should be OK, even with a 100 battery pack...

Hello, I'm curious if you ever purchased the upgrade? Do you have a full list of your option codes for your Tesla? I'm curious how a 100D's option codes look when its software limited.