Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't upgrade to 72 amp charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I had a p85d for awhile, but needed that extra 15 for a trip i take. It saves me ~30 mins or more (travel with 4 kids) and only 1 stop instead of 2. I was hoping i could upgrade my p85d (had 80 amp charger) to the 100 battery pack but that will not happen. So i bought a p100d. Unfortunately its only has the 48 amp charger. I thought we could upgrade it to the 72 amp charger, but I was told only the original owner can do that. This is a CPO vehicle. They are telling me I'm stuck. Is there anyone I can talk to. I use the car a lot and want the high charger to do quick charges. I do not charge just at home overnight. any advice?

yes, there is nothing nearby. Plus I want to charge from home or the parents house so I can spend time there instead of waiting a couple hours at a charger station.
Also does using a a charging station other than supercharge bypass the 48amp charger onboard?

I thought the 48 amp charger came with the refresh models and the nosecone had the 40 amp charger where you could add a second 40 amp charger to it? Or was the switchover earlier?
In the newer cars it’s a charger upgrade, the 48 amp unit is pulled and replaced with a 72. I can’t see any reason why Tesla wouldn’t do it if you’re willing to pay for the part and labor.

Reactions: Rocky_H and cwerdna
The P100D's came with the 48A standard, with the 72A as upgrade at or after configuration.

For the first few months of production, the 100D's were also in the same situation. We had one of the first S 100D's delivered in the US, and we didn't purchase the 72A upgrade, which became standard the month after our delivery (April 2017).

After the 72A charger became standard, I contacted Tesla about upgrading our car, and found that we already had the 72A charger on board, evidently being software limited. So if we're willing to pay an additional $1900, they'll flip the switch to turn on 72A charging, something that became free a few weeks after we bought our car last year.

However, we have no plans to upgrade. We've been charging at 48A at home (using an HPWC on a 100A circuit), and haven't had any need to charge faster. For overnight charging, 48A is enough to recharge a 100D - charging faster won't provide any benefit for overnight charging.

About the only time we might benefit from the 72A charger would be on road trips, if we could find a location that offered charging above 48A (which is pretty rare).

If you only have 48A, you should be OK, even with a 100 battery pack...

The P100D's came with the 48A standard, with the 72A as upgrade at or after configuration.

For the first few months of production, the 100D's were also in the same situation. We had one of the first S 100D's delivered in the US, and we didn't purchase the 72A upgrade, which became standard the month after our delivery (April 2017).

After the 72A charger became standard, I contacted Tesla about upgrading our car, and found that we already had the 72A charger on board, evidently being software limited. So if we're willing to pay an additional $1900, they'll flip the switch to turn on 72A charging, something that became free a few weeks after we bought our car last year.

However, we have no plans to upgrade. We've been charging at 48A at home (using an HPWC on a 100A circuit), and haven't had any need to charge faster. For overnight charging, 48A is enough to recharge a 100D - charging faster won't provide any benefit for overnight charging.

About the only time we might benefit from the 72A charger would be on road trips, if we could find a location that offered charging above 48A (which is pretty rare).

If you only have 48A, you should be OK, even with a 100 battery pack...

I purchased an April 2017 S100D new and It only has 48A onboard charger. When I contacted them for an upgrade to 72A they told me it couldn’t be done and they have refused to explain why. This is really frustrating since I went to the trouble and expense of installing a 100A circuit to my wall charger with very heavy gauge wire. I even escalated on Mytesla and still got no response after the initial confusing response from the first line employee.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna