Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't use AP when wife is in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are these phantom braking incidents consistent or random? Meaning if you're driving under the same overpass in the same weather, will it always break in the same spot or not so much? Thanks!
In my case, yes. San Diego I15 southbound, car pool lane, at the Mira Mesa transit station overpass. I have to be ready to press the accelerator, or cancel AP. I have sent Bug Report twice to Tesla.

Vehicles on the road are too unpredictable with distractions that a car AP cannot take into account. And the other reason is people drive cars because they like the experience of driving their car. If you don’t want to drive then take an Uber.
Yeah who buys a car that handles and accelerates like a dream and then lets it drive itself? I agree with taking an Uber to work if you don't like your commute. Save the Tesla for the weekend.

Yeah who buys a car that handles and accelerates like a dream and then lets it drive itself? I agree with taking an Uber to work if you don't like your commute. Save the Tesla for the weekend.

Or, better yet, have fun driving the Tesla on the weekend, then use the same fantastic car to handle the boring, congested commute to/from work rather than riding in someone else's vehicle that isn't half as nice, pollutes the atmosphere, contributes to noise pollution, costs more money and has a probably less safe driver than you overseeing auto-pilot.

Or, better yet, have fun driving the Tesla on the weekend, then use the same fantastic car to handle the boring, congested commute to/from work rather than riding in someone else's vehicle that isn't half as nice, pollutes the atmosphere, contributes to noise pollution, costs more money and has a probably less safe driver than you overseeing auto-pilot.
Well now I know who to blame if Tesla goes bankrupt. Thanks.

My spouse is also uncomfortable with certain aspects of AP. She stifles her concern pretty well most of the time. Probably what makes her the most uncomfortable so far is how many close calls we have had when a vehicle cuts into our lane ahead of us from an adjacent lane. AP1 does not react soon enough in some cases. Fortunately, she has not yet experienced phantom braking.

The booongs of doooom

Seriously though. When driving on local highways/roads the false braking alerts only happen at known overhead gantry’s etc so easy to anticipate. It’s always when not following another car as well which makes it even easier.
I saw one owner whining that he could get used to the amount of pressure needed to stop nags - really? It took me all of 20 minutes to figure that out and I’m OLD.
You youngsters have no excuse :D:D

• Helpful
Reactions: Arpe and SW2Fiddler
My original post:
Or, better yet, have fun driving the Tesla on the weekend, then use the same fantastic car to handle the boring, congested commute to/from work rather than riding in someone else's vehicle (edit: i.e. an Uber vehicle) that isn't half as nice, pollutes the atmosphere, contributes to noise pollution, costs more money and has a probably less safe driver than you overseeing auto-pilot.

Well now I know who to blame if Tesla goes bankrupt. Thanks.

Umm, I was saying to drive a Tesla all the time (weekends for fun, AP for the miserable commute to work) rather than using Uber to get to work. How does driving a Tesla instead of Uber cause Tesla to go bankrupt?

I think either you misunderstood me, or else I'm not understanding you.

The sentence in my original post is rather complex, especially if English isn't your native tongue (I see you're from Germany). I'll take the blame on this one.

Reactions: Twiglett
AP will never work unless every car on the road is using and doing the same with AP. I’ve been in the airline industry for over 20 years and commercial airlines and ATC still can’t figure it out and planes exit and enter the airspace on the same routes and airspeeds - ATC intervenes all the time. Vehicles on the road are too unpredictable with distractions that a car AP cannot take into account. And the other reason is people drive cars because they like the experience of driving their car. If you don’t want to drive then take an Uber.
Exactly, totally agree!

If you’d rather Uber than keep your own car and use AP - you’ve never used AP.
Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it.

As @bpjod said - why not have a great driving car for when you can drive. Then use the same car with AP when you don’t want to manage the boring commute.
If you’re not ready for AP then you’re not going to like the future :cool:

Reactions: Arpe
I have a Model S with AP 1.0 and my wife has a Model 3 with AP2.5. I thought I'd make a comment relative to AP in general, since my recent experience with the latest AutoPilot software update was in my Model S. I absolutely love driving my Teslas with or without AP engaged.

We recently took a road trip of over 1,000 miles each way. The AP was used almost exclusively on major highways with limited traffic through mostly unpopulated areas. I cannot comment about using it on a daily commute as mine is quite short and not one that really makes AP all that useful. I cannot say strongly enough that AP has improved immensely over the last three years that I have owned the car. The reduction in stress of driving on long trips especially cannot be overstated in my mind. I am certain, personally, that AP makes my long trip driving experience safer and less stressful. Is it perfect? No, of course not. Is it better than any system out there? Absolutely! Does it improve over time? No question! Would I use it in every driving situation currently? Probably not. Then again, can anyone point to a better existing system that improves driver safety significantly and has a manufacturer committed to rapid improvement along with a design that allows OTA updates? Nope! For these reasons, I continue to believe that Tesla AP is years advanced of any other manufacturer currently.

That's my view of the big picture. Sure, I'd like to see the"bugs" everyone comments about eliminated immediately. Remember, the current system design is intended only as an assist to a watchful driver. The name of the system may be its biggest problem. :)

What manufacturer is in a better position to provide great semi-autonomous driving today and full self-driving in the near future? What manufacturer has a neural network of cars already gathering huge amounts of data to improve its fleet? There is only one leader that I see.

"Just my opinion...I could be wrong."

Reactions: bpjod